Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:36 AM        Greek lawyers: stop saying Alexander's gay! >:(
From IMDb:

Greek Lawyers Attack 'Alexander' Bisexual Claims

The makers of Colin Farrell's upcoming epic Alexander are facing the threat of lawsuit, for claiming warrior Alexander The Great was bisexual. A group of furious Greek lawyers insist the legendary conqueror was heterosexual, and they're now looking into suing film studio Warner Bros and director Oliver Stone for claims to the contrary. Yannis Varnakos, spokesman for the 25 lawyers, tells Reuters, "We are not saying that we are against gays, but we are saying that the production company should make it clear to the audience that this film is pure fiction and not a true depiction of the life of Alexander." The group has sent an extrajudicial note insisting that the studio include a reference in the credits saying the movie is fictional. While Varnakos and his group of Greek attorneys haven't actually seen the epic, they say they have gathered enough evidence to know there are "inappropriate references" to Alexander's sexuality. Varnakos says that Stone has the right to freely express himself - but the audience has the right to know the director is tampering with history. He adds, "We cannot come out and say that (former US) President John F. Kennedy was a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team and so Warner cannot come out and say Alexander was gay." Alexander opens in America on November 24.

---

Sure, there's no homophobia involved. It's just, uh, historically incorrect! That's right! That's why there've been so many lawsuits throughout the years over the dramatization of true stories.

What I'm curious about, though, is who the hell those 25 lawyers represent. The Greek League of Angry Historians?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:11 AM       
I thought most historians agreed that ancient Greeks were down with being gay. The "ideal" relationship was between a young boy and his mentor.

Women were just there for having babies.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:36 AM       
Maybe Greece is trying to shed its historical reputation of swinging both ways. I don't see the problem. Their gays seemed mostly muscular and smart.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM       
That is utterly stupid. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that Alexander was gay or at least bisexual. Of course, we can't know for sure, but everything I've read about the man points that way.

Oh, and Alexander the Great was Macedonian, not Greek.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM       
Colin Ferrell sure does look gay in the commercials :/

CLICK9 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
I thought most historians agreed that ancient Greeks were down with being gay. The "ideal" relationship was between a young boy and his mentor.

Women were just there for having babies.
co-signing. isn't that what symposiums were all about?
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM       
heres where i would quote that bit in ghost world about greeks inventing homos for the 100th time, but im not going to bother

Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:16 PM       
Quote:
"We cannot come out and say that (former US) President John F. Kennedy was a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team and so Warner cannot come out and say Alexander was gay."
Tell you what... something like this just proves how gay the greeks are.

And what the hell, cannot? I hate that word. Can Not, can't, but no damn greeks with their cannots.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:35 AM        Re: Greek lawyers: stop saying Alexander's gay! >:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
He adds, "We cannot come out and say that (former US) President John F. Kennedy was a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team
It would make an awesome movie, though.