Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:50 AM        Getting an IBook
With a student discount, a 12 inch IBook only costs $900.00, so it's a pretty good deal. If anyone has any reasons why I whould go for another type of laptop, feel free to tell me. Personally, I can't see why I should, but if there was anything I missed when I was looking into it, I would appreciate any info you have.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:38 AM       
Whatcha want a mac for anyway?
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
executioneer executioneer is offline
OH GOD
executioneer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:40 AM       
yeah seriously wtf
__________________
[COLOR=purple][COLOR=Magenta]SHAME ON A [COLOR=Pink]NIGGA WHO TRY TO RUN [/COLOR][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGI6mhfJyA"]GAME[/URL] ON A NIGGA[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
MetalMilitia MetalMilitia is offline
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM       
It would be better to get a Ibook than a DELL as hes not exactly going to be gaming on it, which is a mac's main weakness.
Macs look fancyer and have a nicer looking and arguably better OS.

Immortal: Whats it going to be used for?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
japan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Chojin Chojin is offline
was never good
Chojin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM       
if by arguably better you mean 'fucking broken', then yeah, sure.

every time I've had to use a mac something horrible has happened to them. Back when they were shitty 68ks they'd crash all the time, and now that they're on Jaguar or whatever they confuse permissions and need to have a cleanup run after like every reboot in order to run programs at all. And it'd also still crash, but it'd do it in a screen explaining to me how it'd just dicked me over in 7 different languages, and it'd let me see all the work in the background that I couldn't save. Additionally, outside of the studio music and art world, there is next to no software available for them. Interestingly enough, people that work in live sound (concerts) use PCs because the macs are too unreliable.

* But they are pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
ArrowX ArrowX is offline
Banned
ArrowX's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM       
Less power more flower
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM       
I never heard any of that before, Chojin. Mostly, this will be used for writing papers, internet browsing, and maybe my Myst games, seeing as how they aren't that involved anyway. I talked to a bunch of people with the same thing I am getting, and they said that it was great. I dunno now, though.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM       
most musicians i've seen doing live stuff were using macs, unless they were no-names/up-and-comers who couldn't afford to buy software, so they'd use pcs b/c it's much easier to get pirated software (not that it's really that hard to find mac warez, but i digress)

also, the latest version of OS X is pretty darn stable, though earlier versions were so bad I think there was acutally a class action lawsuit over it.

Goat, your powerbook will do all that, and it will impress the art fags to no end. I was just suggesting that you could get more bang for your buck in a PC, but the mac vs pc debate passed from functionality into personal preference years ago
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:54 PM       
Actually, I'm not getting the PowerBook, just the IBook, which is almost the same, just less ram and a smaller screen or something.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 07:26 PM       
Go with a Pentium laptop. Macs are shit, and you can't fucking do anything with them except walk around and have everyone talk about what a fag you are. People only get them because they want to be "different."

There's no software for Macs, either. And the software that's out there blows. Safari, my ass. More like "Fuck with your HTML and make websites look like shit" Safari.

MacOS sucked so bad that they had to throw it all away and base their stuff on Unix. And it's still shit.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
MetalMilitia MetalMilitia is offline
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 08:03 PM       
Hey! Studio MX 2004 + a Mac = Win.

Its like the PC version (well the same) but shineyer and rounder.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
japan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:38 AM       
after getting used to photoshop on a mac, photoshop on a PC is frustrating.

saying OS 9 "sucked so bad they had to throw it away" is pretty whack. it didn't suck, in fact it was rock solid, but it was also dated as fuck.
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
soundtest soundtest is offline
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SHANGHAI
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM       
Ewwww those Dells are so fucking UGLY! Spending a lot of money on one of those things and booting up to a Windows XP screen would seriously depress me. PC laptop design needs drastic change. Before, at least they looked durable and had a somewhat utilitarian design (ThinkPads are a good example). Now they just look embarassing.

I don't own one, but I think Macs are great. OSX is beautiful - I've used it enough and have never encountered any stability issues with it. Besides gaming, you can do virtually anything else you could do on a PC with a Mac, and Mac warez are not that difficult to find. In conclusion, I would get a used ThinkPad and install Linux on it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Chojin Chojin is offline
was never good
Chojin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
most musicians i've seen doing live stuff were using macs, unless they were no-names/up-and-comers who couldn't afford to buy software, so they'd use pcs b/c it's much easier to get pirated software (not that it's really that hard to find mac warez, but i digress)
I'm talking about live sound technicians. Musicians go either way with digital composition as music software can tend to be os-specific.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM       
Who cares what the computer looks like? All that matters is what's inside it. I couldn't give a shit if my computer had fancy lights on it. They don't make it go any faster. It's sickening the number of people who want their computers to look cool, spend hundreds of dollars modding their cases, scrimp on the guts and then bitch about how they can't run the latest software.

Buying a computer for how it looks is completely retarded.

Photoshop on a PC is a million times better than a Mac. I was able to run Photoshop 5 on a Pentium 233 with 32MB of RAM faster than I could on an iMac 333 with 64MB. On my 3.0GHz P4, Photoshop loads in 5 seconds and the interface is identical to anything I've seen on the Mac version. In fact, the UI is better because I have more mouse buttons.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Chojin Chojin is offline
was never good
Chojin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM       
I've been using photoshop for years and still haven't used a button outside of the primary one on the mouse (except for the wheel), cause Photoshop was designed for a mac. Still, I don't notice any differences between PS 7-CS on either system, other than the aforemented crashes on OS X.

Being an artist, I can appreciate pretty looks, but I see a computer as more of a tool than a WAY OF LIFE. You can get programs that make Windows look prettier, but they dicked my functionality of the OS in the ass so I quickly went back to the blue and green.

Although since XP I can't stand to use an earlier version of Windows without screaming.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
soundtest soundtest is offline
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SHANGHAI
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM       
Quote:
Who cares what the computer looks like? All that matters is what's inside it.
At the risk of sounding redundant: taking into account that Immortal Goat does not intend to game on this laptop, what can a PC offer him that a Mac can't? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Immortal Goat needs a simple, stable, compact (have you looked at those Dell behemoths?) laptop for surfing, word processing, listening to mp3s, and watching movies. Please tell me how a Mac would have trouble with this, because to me you just come off as someone who is extremely biased yet has little experience in what they are talking about. Anti-Mac zealots are just as irritating as Mac zealots.

And it may not be a factor for you, but Macs are aesthetically pleasing. You might not care what your computer looks like, but for others, it does matter. Just because someone would prefer to spend their time staring at a device that is pleasing to the eye as opposed to one that is functional yet bland (or in some cases downright ugly), does not mean that they need to go all iLife and grab a pair of dark framed emo glasses, crank up the Radiohead, and head over to Starbucks in their Mini.

But again, if it were me, I'd just get a ThinkPad and install Linux.

Quote:
Photoshop on a PC is a million times better than a Mac.
Quote:
In fact, the UI is better because I have more mouse buttons.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM       
Thinkpads are discontinued hardware.

Sucks cuz IBM was the only laptop manufacturer still using a good bit of steel in their casing, instead of shatter-happy plastics.
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
At the risk of sounding redundant: taking into account that Immortal Goat does not intend to game on this laptop, what can a PC offer him that a Mac can't? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Immortal Goat needs a simple, stable, compact (have you looked at those Dell behemoths?) laptop for surfing, word processing, listening to mp3s, and watching movies. Please tell me how a Mac would have trouble with this, because to me you just come off as someone who is extremely biased yet has little experience in what they are talking about. Anti-Mac zealots are just as irritating as Mac zealots.
My opinion has been formed over 15 years of using both Macs and PCs. Sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but I probably know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers than most people on this board put together.

There's no problem fitting a Dell/Compaq/Sony/whatever laptop in a schoolbag. I know people who do it every day. Hell, you don't even need a full-on laptop; there's plenty of smaller notebook or tablets available on the market.

Here's what what a Mac can give over a PC: non-standard proprietary bullshit hardware and no software to run on it.
By going with a PC, you'll get something that will lasts longer (better and faster hardware means that you'll still be able to run the latest software for a couple years) and is infinitely more versatile. With a PC, you get CHOICE... not what some Apple exec signed off on as being trendy or "cool."

As for tough laptops, Toshiba still makes their Toughbooks as far as I know, but you probably have to special order them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
MetalMilitia MetalMilitia is offline
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM       
Why is it that no one can so much as mention a mac on the internet without it turning into a full scale Mac VS PC debate.
If he wants a Ibook let him get a damn Ibook
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
japan
Reply With Quote
  #21  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM       
The guy's gonna need some shred of self-respect. I'm trying to save him from himself.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
ziggytrix ziggytrix is offline
Mocker
ziggytrix's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: i come from the water
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
My opinion has been formed over 15 years of using both Macs and PCs. Sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but I probably know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers than most people on this board put together.
WTF? I've a bachelor's degree in computer science from an accredited American University, I've worked in tech support, graphic design, web application development, corporate infrastructure, on PC (NT, 2000, and XP), Mac, *nix servers, hell I've even did a semester of AS/400 programming on an IBM mainframe. I've studied system architecture, programming languages, artificial intelligence. Now you can post your CV and I still won't give a fuck cuz the rest of your argument is weak. See below.

Quote:
By going with a PC, you'll get something that will lasts longer (better and faster hardware means that you'll still be able to run the latest software for a couple years) and is infinitely more versatile. With a PC, you get CHOICE... not what some Apple exec signed off on as being trendy or "cool."
The real downside to the apple laptops is that they're still a generation behind on their mobile processor. But for everything he mentioned an iBook is more than sufficient. You don't need a P4 3GHz processor to surf the web or play a 4 year old game (which, by the way looked MUCH better on the Mac than it did on the PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
Please tell me how a Mac would have trouble with this, because to me you just come off as someone who is extremely biased yet has little experience in what they are talking about. Anti-Mac zealots are just as irritating as Mac zealots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achimp
I don't have an answer to that, so I'm just gonna say I know more about computers than the rest of you put together! :faggot
Code:
heh, don't take this personally chimp, but we gotta turn the heat up here, cuz this is the best i-mockery style action this forum has ever seen, am i right?
__________________
BOYCOTT SIGNATURES!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
soundtest soundtest is offline
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SHANGHAI
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Thinkpads are discontinued hardware.

Sucks cuz IBM was the only laptop manufacturer still using a good bit of steel in their casing, instead of shatter-happy plastics.
Yea, it's too bad. They are super durable and I love their old design. I'd still recommend getting a used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
blah blah blah don't you know who you're talking to i'm the computer guy around here blah blah blah
Yes dude, I am well aware of your ego and that you have crowned yourself the resident 'computer guy' on this board, but still you say nothing. Proprietary hardware? We're talking about laptops. Upgrades are available for both, but for the most part, neither will be a system that you can keep upgrading for years like a desktop.

You say there is no software but you give no examples. All Macs come with a great selection of programs to start off with, and many others are available for almost everything you would want to do on a computer, gaming aside.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
AChimp AChimp is offline
Resident Chimp
AChimp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Jungles of Borneo
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
WTF? I've a bachelor's degree in computer science from an accredited American University, I've worked in tech support, graphic design, web application development, corporate infrastructure, on PC (NT, 2000, and XP), Mac, *nix servers, hell I've even did a semester of AS/400 programming on an IBM mainframe. I've studied system architecture, programming languages, artificial intelligence. Now you can post your CV and I still won't give a fuck cuz the rest of your argument is weak. See below.
Haha you're so old-school. Seriously, it doesn't matter what you know because if you reread my post I said "most people."

Quote:
The real downside to the apple laptops is that they're still a generation behind on their mobile processor. But for everything he mentioned an iBook is more than sufficient. You don't need a P4 3GHz processor to surf the web or play a 4 year old game (which, by the way looked MUCH better on the Mac than it did on the PC).
The ONLY thing that I'll give Macs is that their LCD screens are top notch. They should stop making computers and just make monitors, because I'd buy one of those if it didn't come covered in faggy clear plastic.

Everyone always says, "oh you don't need a fast computer for that blah blah blah." You know what? Yes you do. After about a month of your shiny new SLOW iBook, you'll be looking at the people around you saying, "Shit, I wish my laptop could do that. Fuck, if I would have just waited another three weeks, I could afford to buy this month's iBook that comes with that feature. Time to go grab a pair of dark framed emo glasses, crank up the Radiohead, and head over to Starbucks in my Mini because I'll only fit in with other losers who bought a Mac."

Saying that the Mac version of a 4-year-old game is better is weak (LOL, how ironic, you calling my arguments weak). GL Quake looks awesome on my current machine. It's called better technology, plus four years that it took developers to port the code. You'd think they gave the artists something to do during that time, too.

Quote:
You say there is no software but you give no examples. All Macs come with a great selection of programs to start off with, and many others are available for almost everything you would want to do on a computer, gaming aside.
Yeah, just like how XP comes with everything you could ever possibly use or want to ever do with your computer. Wordpad to meet all your word processing needs and Media Player garbage for MP3s. I'm sure they're really awesome and would meet all the needs of a mentally-handicapped senior citizen learning to use a computer for the first time.

Safari is bullshit. The little helper apps are bullshit. Want more? Pay an annual fee to get access to handy .Mac!!! Don't even get me started on the shareware that's available for Macs. That's all bullshit, too (and I have firsthand experience because one of my professors writes some of those apps). Every one of them is just a variation on the same theme: "Oh look! We can take this RSS feed from the web and display it in an interesting fashion!"

Good luck going out to buy software, especially if you don't live in a city with one of those Apple stores. I think all Best Buy sells is MS Office for Macs, and it's just a display box because they knew no one would really want that anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Immortal Goat Immortal Goat is offline
Now with less sodium!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:24 AM       
Hey now, I didn't want this to turn into some big argument about which is better, I just was looking for some advice. I will list my reasons for a Mac below, and all you have to do is respond to that. Kay?

-Virus protection. Only one virus has ever been written for them, and I don't think it has ever successfully attacked a unit.

-Comes with a nice software bundle, which means I don't have to buy extra shit for it.

-Light, durable casing means it can survive my horrendous backpack environment

-Sufficient software for wordprocessing and movies on the go

-*MOST IMPORTANT*Student discount. Sure, I COULD wait another month or so and get a more expensive PC, but I have financial opbligations to my family that would be hindered by such a purchase.

There, those are the reasons for the Mac decision. Achimp, if you have any reasons why I should still get a PC, by all means, try and convince me. Everyone's opinion in here is valid. Unless ArrowX decides to contribute.
__________________
I like snow. If winter's going to be cold anyway, at least have it be fun to look at. Probably why I was with my ex for so long...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.