I-Mockery Forum

I-Mockery Forum (http://i-mockery.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philosophy, Politics, and News (http://i-mockery.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kulturkampf's Fun-Time Philosophy Jamboree! (merged) (http://i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69701711)

Zhukov Mar 7th, 2009 10:24 AM

Is the dick heart the bit on the end? We call that the Herman Gelmet, but I guess it could look sort of like a heart if one were inclined to draw it that way on a tattoo.

ZeldaQueen Mar 7th, 2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_squared (Post 617913)
Thus speaketh the Noble Savage. How dignified he sounds.

:lol

kahljorn Mar 7th, 2009 02:02 PM

lol.
im pretty sure a noble savage is somebody who takes the reasoning and intelligence of the contemporary world and lives without government; in a state of nature. ;\ oh nm its just when we live unrestrained by a society cause GUBERMENTS and rules are what causes us to be bad. OPTIMISM/ STRAIN

i call my brother in law a noble savage all the time lol :(

Tadao Mar 7th, 2009 02:06 PM

KK reminds me of Don Quixote. He reads romantic novels about being a fair and just person, creates an imaginary world in which to perform his noble deeds, fucks it all up in real life, and believes that people are praising him when they actually want o lock him up for being such and idiot.

ZeldaQueen Mar 7th, 2009 02:18 PM

Is it just me or is the term "noble savage" kind of...derogatory? Like "magical negro"?

It almost reminds me of in "Take Up the White Man's Burden", when the nonEuropean people are described as "sullen" and "half devil and half child".

kahljorn Mar 7th, 2009 06:20 PM

not really similar at all its basically an anarchist/optimistic idea that if there were no society man would be perfect. Or, that society is what creates bad and evil people.

MattJack Mar 7th, 2009 07:47 PM

can somebody just gimme the cliff notes to this thread?

kthx

Colonel Flagg Mar 7th, 2009 08:32 PM

KK makes wordy and obliquely offensive statements.

General argument, laughter and derision from the masses.

KK whines and says he's going away.

There is much rejoicing.

ZeldaQueen Mar 7th, 2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 617968)
not really similar at all its basically an anarchist/optimistic idea that if there were no society man would be perfect. Or, that society is what creates bad and evil people.

I get it. Just seems a little rude the way it's put. That's probably just me though. :\

Jeanette X Mar 7th, 2009 10:54 PM

The notion of the noble savage is just horseshit. Anyone who believes it should spend a year among the Yanomano or the Korowai and see how "noble" their behavior is from our point of view.

I can say this with a certain amount of authority because I just got accepted into graduate school to get a master's in anthropology. BOOYAH! :smug

MattJack Mar 7th, 2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg (Post 617998)
KK makes wordy and obliquely offensive statements.

General argument, laughter and derision from the masses.

KK whines and says he's going away.

There is much rejoicing.

I believe he's a character.

ZeldaQueen Mar 7th, 2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanette X (Post 618010)
The notion of the noble savage is just horseshit. Anyone who believes it should spend a year among the Yanomano or the Korowai and see how "noble" their behavior is from our point of view.

I can say this with a certain amount of authority because I just got accepted into graduate school to get a master's in anthropology. BOOYAH! :smug

I hate you. >:

Actually, it's anthropology I hate. >:

Jeanette X Mar 7th, 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen (Post 618020)
I hate you. >:

Actually, it's anthropology I hate. >:

Why? I'm backing up the point you made. :confused:

kahljorn Mar 8th, 2009 01:07 AM

tribes are a type of society, as such the argument could be made that they corrupt human beings.

But yea, usually people bring that type of stuff up to refute it.

Jeanette X Mar 8th, 2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahljorn (Post 618029)
tribes are a type of society, as such the argument could be made that they corrupt human beings.

Precisely. Just because a society may not be technologically advanced doesn't mean that they are as socially complex as our own.

Colonel Flagg Mar 8th, 2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJack (Post 618015)
I believe he's a character.

Never thought about it. Could be. :conspiracy

pac-man Mar 8th, 2009 11:13 PM

That crazy Kulturkampf! He's a character all right! :lol

VaporTrailx1 Mar 9th, 2009 01:36 PM

da hood has started to streamline things. There is now only 1 word for "to be" which is "is". Are and am are obsolete.

ZeldaQueen Mar 9th, 2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanette X (Post 618023)
Why? I'm backing up the point you made. :confused:

No no, it's not you it's anthropology. I have to take it this semester for my natural science credit and I hate it. I did really badly on the first test and I only have two others to fix it.

Anywho...

Quote:

Precisely. Just because a society may not be technologically advanced doesn't mean that they are as socially complex as our own
That's why the term "noble savage" bothered me. It seemed to imply that people who lived in tribes or "uncivilized" places were inferior. Europeans thought that the native Africans were "savages", but the Africans were the ones who were smelting iron and enjoying a good standard of living while Europe rotted from the Black Plague.

Jeanette X Mar 9th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen (Post 618272)
No no, it's not you it's anthropology. I have to take it this semester for my natural science credit and I hate it. I did really badly on the first test and I only have two others to fix it.

I assume it was physical anthropology, which I'm not to crazy about either, for the record. My area is cultural anthropology, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

ZeldaQueen Mar 9th, 2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

I assume it was physical anthropology, which I'm not to crazy about either, for the record. My area is cultural anthropology, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
Yes it is. Right now we're studying the physical characteristics of monkeys. Joy. :rolleyes:

Cultural does sound more fun, but physical was what fulfilled the requirement, so it is what I must take. Woot.

kahljorn Mar 9th, 2009 03:54 PM

I'm taking physical anthropology right now too :(

ZeldaQueen Mar 9th, 2009 04:26 PM

It sucks, doesn't it?

Did your class have to learn how to label the parts of a lemur's tooth?

kahljorn Mar 9th, 2009 04:43 PM

Its kind of a fun class ;o

I don't really know what you mean by label the parts of a lemurs tooth :( but we learned about TEETHS.

ZeldaQueen Mar 9th, 2009 06:05 PM

We had to learn about parts of molars.

We're learning about Hominidae (humans and apes) right now. I'm working on a one or two page summary of notes for them (not so bad actually).