Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM        John Stewart on Crossfire
Stewart was on crossfire this last friday and caught them quite off guard by being serious. It got nowhere in that neither host was capable of seeing his point, but that in itself gived you a window into how fucked up these people (right and left) are. You can watch it at

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifil...&htv=12&htv=12

It's got some amazing moments and is well worth seeing.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:38 PM       
Stewart's really getting popular. People don't give him enough credit. I suppose that has something to do with being on Comedy Central. :/

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM       
He frustrates the hell out of bowtie-man.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM       
He seems like he would be the liberal. Something about bowties.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 06:39 PM       
haha, thanks for the link.. i was miffed that i missed it.

nice mockery of cnn =)
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:28 PM       
He came off as being a jerk :/ If someone invites you to there show atleast you can be polite. I don't think he said anything of any value.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM       
Well, the point of the show is to bitch and moan at eachother, which Stewart did in the usual flavor of the show.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM       
It was pretty clear that they knew Jon's feelings on Crossfire when they invited him. If he'd just started playing nice all of a sudden he would've been a damned hypocrite.

He held up well, but near the end he seemed to get pissed underneath his calm stick-in-the-mud demeanor when he called Fabulous Bowtie a dick.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:39 PM       
I don't think so at all. I think he had every right (and I think he is right) to accuse both hosts of being political hacks.

That's fine and good, but don't pretend to be honest debate, or information. Did you see the moment when both of them pretended to be unfamilliar with the term 'spin alley'? They aren't journalists, they're political activists. They don't hold anyones feet to the fire they function as surrogates in a slap fest.

It's like FOX calling itself 'fair and balanced' or O'reilly saying his show is the 'no spin zone'. It shouldn't be alllowed to go unchallenged. Whats the matter, these 'tough question' guys can't cope with being questioned?

You can dress a turn in a prom gown, you can take it to the prom, but it isn't going to dance.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM       
As far left as I think the Daily Show has been leaning, I still love Stewart, and this merely reaffirmed that.

I totally agree with what he was saying about political debate shows. Its not about find ing a solution, its about showing up the other team. Its all cheerleading.

And yes, even though he didn't ask Kerry any real hard questions, ITS STILL A COMEDY SHOW! Its no issue if he decides to throw some softball questions to the guy he wants to win. Crossfire should be holding themselves to a higher standard.

And I want a TV show. If nothing else, than to prove it actually is possible to have a conservative point of view and a sense of humor.
Crying Baby Jesus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:59 PM       
I miss 5 Questions
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM       
Silly man. You'd think he would have prepared himself to speak articulately without stumbling over himself constantly and letting the hosts get him pissed off. It's their show. Did he expect them to play nicer?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM       
I don't see Stewart as a guy that's very comfortable or familiar with confrontation. Maybe he had a point he felt was valid, but wasn't prepared as well as they were to slap somebody upside the head with a contrary opinion...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM       
If he can't handle confrontation he's better off getting his points across somewhere other than a show that's about confrontation hosted by the people that he's attacking.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM       
That was great. I Jon.

It's just too bad Robert Novak wasn't on the show. Not that Tucker Carlson isn't enough of a douchebag of Liberty.

With that being said, I find Paul Begala pretty rude, too.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM       
I thought he made his point. I thought he gave them rope and then they both hung themselves.

"Spin... al-lee? What earth man mean by this... spin... al-lee?"

If either of them had said "Yeah, you know, what your saying is true, but that's what we have to do to counter the other side, and this is what television is, it IS theater, you of all people should know that."

Then maybe they'd have had a conversation about the role of the press.

But they are too tied up in bullshit to even recognize the issue.

"What? Pro wrestling? I don't see the analogy."

And them trying to say "the daily show" is no better! First of all, it IS better at getting to certain truths than they are, and second, the daily show doesn't make any claim to being anything beyond funny.

They might as well be saying "Well, don't get so mad, we're a comedy show too!" which is closer to the truth than anything ever said on Crossfire.

Plus, mad as he might have been (if he was) I thought Stewart managed to be funny as well, and if I may pull rank, as someone who's actually been on stage a few hundred times, I promise you, he did damn well. He made a point, he thwarted their expectations, and by thwarting their expectations he underlined his point.

The so called 'news' media has utterly abandoned it's post, much as congress has. It isn't the frist time, it sure won't be the last, but it's sad news a comedian is the only one in any position to say so.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:09 PM       
One hundred, a few hundred...yeah, I don't have your experience, Max, but I do perform for a living. He could have handled himself better.

Of course, I think the appearance was ineffective as a political statement no matter what. The only people who took Crossfire seriously to begin with are the sort who aren't about to be turned around or enlightened by anything short of the Hand of God smacking them upside the heads.

This appearance provided entertainment. We know he made the hosts incredibly uncomfortable on national TV. I think he made a fool of himself in the meantime. Crossfire fans think the hosts smacked him down.

Everyone wins. But the score is the same as it was before this round started.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:10 PM       
I thought Stewart did a good job making the hosts look like idiots.
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:34 PM       
Stewart wasn't stumbling. That was just his method of delivery. Its like the middle ground between Kevin Neelan's Subliminal Man and Norm MacDonald anchoring Weekend Update. He came off pretty good (although I'm probably biased in that thats the most time I've ever spent watching Crossfire).

I got his point about the media not raking the candidates over the coals enough. I don't mean to intentionally entrap them to make them look bad, but to come in with the important questions and force the politicians to answer.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM       
I'm sorry, I must have been confusing weak delivery with a cultivated style of weak-sounding delivery. He sure doesn't sound like that on the Daily Show. And to be certain, most of the right words came out eventually, but if he is *intentionally* including all that verbal garbage - "I, uh, buh, I'm trying, I'm trying to say, I'm trying to say that..." I still can't give him credit for sounding any good doing it.
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM       
Oh, that. Let's see you make your point on the first try with two people hollering at you.

Performance is a little easier when its scripted.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM       
YEAH, JUST ASK THE PRESIDENT!!

HE KNOWS!!

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:25 PM       
I keep getting 'the item you selected is not available for [any player you try]'
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:54 PM       
I couldn't get it to work so I just googled it and picked one that wouldn't crash my browser.

It seemed like all the stumbling was Jon's style. I mean it's not as smooth as when he's got his monologue thing going but like when he's asking guests questions. It seemed pretty convincing to me. meh.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:59 PM       
Yep, just found a bittorrent at http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/15...s_crossfi.html and even got 400 k/s download rate.

Gonna go check dis out NOWS :o