Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:55 PM        Just an idea: privatizing taxes
A while ago, I posted a political theory of my making on Newsfilter. Needless to say, it was met with some criticism. Most of it was aimed at specifics rather than the philopsophy, however, and that is what I would like to get a review of here.

A thought struck me one day when I though about gubbermint programs: why not just privatize it?

I don't think anyone in this message board will argue with me over whether or not government is wasteful. I think that we all know it is. However, the common point made by left-wingers is that members of the lower income bracket would not be able to receive quality programs were the government to get its hand out of it.

Now I ask why we do not simply have tax-paid corporations involved in these aspects.

A bit skeptical? Let me use public education as an example:

Schools could sign up under a federal program that would require them to accept all students, but grant them tax funding. Mulitple schools would sign up, thus competing with each other for better results. The funding given to each school would then be proportional to however many students each holds. The end result would be that schools that gave better results would receive more tax money, thus giving the owner of the business more money and adhering to the principles of capitalism.

This could also work with police and national defence, thus increasing efficiency and reducing corruption (although this is a bigger issue with police forces).

Opinions?