Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:53 AM        Deep throat to be revealed in Washington Post obituary
'Deep Throat Close to Death'

By Victoria Ward, PA in New York

The notorious Deep Throat source who helped bring down US President Richard Nixon is close to death, it was claimed today.

The identity of the Watergate source has remained a mystery for almost 30 years, fuelling speculation and rumour, the latest even suggesting it was former president George Bush Snr.

But former White House counsel John Dean’s allegations suggest otherwise.

According to Dean, Bob Woodward, the Washington Post reporter to whom Deep Throat leaked information, has told the newspaper editor his source is ill.

“We’ll all know one day very soon,” he writes in the Los Angeles Times.

“Ben Bradlee, former executive editor of the Post and one of the few people to whom Woodward confided his source’s identity, has publicly acknowledged that he has written Throat’s obituary.”

If and when the posthumous profile reveals the elusive name it could put paid to another claim – that the man who brought down one president was actually another.

Watergate researcher Adrian Havill claims on a journalism website that it was Bush Snr who was responsible for the biggest scandal in US political history.

Havill, who has previously claimed Deep Throat was a composite of several sources, says new information now persuades him otherwise.

He writes that he began to suspect Bush when his son, who dislikes the press, gave Woodward seven hours of interviews.

Bush Snr was UN ambassador in New York between 1971 and 1973 but visited Washington almost every weekend, he notes. Seven of the eight Deep Throat meetings took place at weekends.