Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM       
Wearing clothes woven of two fabrics is a sin too (leviticus 19:19)
Also, a woman must not wear the clothing of a man, nor a man the clothing of a women, for the LORD detests this (deuteronomy 22:5)
Women who get married without being virgins are to be stoned to death in front of their fathers houses (deuteronomy 22:20) and a man who sleeps with another mans wife is to be killed, as with the wife. (deuteronomy 22:21) If a man sleeps with a woman who is betrothed to be married, death to both, but if he rapes her, then death to him UNLESS the woman wasn't betrothed to be married, in which case the penalty for rape (read: the stealing of reproductive potential from the man [since men are the only ones who actually have reproductive/property rights] who is married/going to be married to the woman :biopolitics) the penalty will be a fine of fifty shekels of silver (approximately a kilogram) and must MARRY the woman and NEVER DIVORCE her. (deuteronomy 22:25-29) It's amazing how... we need a thread about biopolitics, but damned if I'm starting it =/

Homsexual relationships are to be punished with death (leviticus 20:13), and its interesting that it is originally mentioned between the prohibition against sacrificing babies to pagan gods and bestiality,(leviticus 18:21-23) so maybe its considered more serious then say, having sex with some non-blood relative. It's pretty much all death or exile in the punishments chapter, leviticus 20 though.

Bit of a tanget, but what I'm basically trying to say is that Christians seem kinda choosy about their obeying of Mosaic law, and not just the silly rules about shellfish and pork.

So anyway, don't tax non-commercial institutions like churches. It's a dumb idea, churches aren't there to make money, and as for revoking their tax exempt status because of political involvment, they're an important part of a pluralist democracy and shouldn't be supressed. I don't think its neccesarily that bad a thing for priests to be politicking from the pulpit, it's a good way for an ethical perspective to get some influence on political agendas. Even if they don't have perfectly consistent morality, they are still entitled to express their values in the public sphere, like anyone else. Thats what politics, and democratic politics is about. Ya, people trying to get laws passed to "benefit" them. Democracy.