Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:52 PM        Jeanette's Wild World of Nature: Mustelids
The Mustelid family is a family of carnivores. Weasels, skunks, otters, badgers, and more are placed in this family.
"Weasel" comes from the Old English word "weosule," which probably meant "flowing" - in reference to the musky secretions of the animal.

Long-Tailed Weasel (Mustela frenata)
The long-tailed weasel has a range through North America all the way to northern South America. They are extremely curious and unafraid of man. They are also known to be vicious. Like rats, the long-tailed weasel can squeeze through very small holes. It is not uncommon for them to kill more than they can eat, and when they gain entry to a chicken coop, they might slaughter every single one.

Least Weasel (Mustela nivalis)
The least weasel is found in Europe, North Africa, Asia and North America, and it has been introduced in New Zealand where it poses a threat to certain endangered species. Its brown and white coat turns totally white in the winter. It is also the smallest living carnivore, but it is very fierce, and have been known to attack humans who come between them and their food.
The long-tailed weasel and the least weasel make similar sounds. A loud, harsh chirp or a screech can be heard when a weasel is disturbed or ready to attack. A low trill often signals a friendly meeting between a male and a female. A trill also helps a female to call her young. Baby weasels make high-pitched squeaks. At about four weeks of age, their squeaks get lower-pitched and raspier, eventually reaching a chirp similar to the adults'.