Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:10 AM        Not all press is good press
http://www.theolympian.com/home/news...e/121390.shtml

LEDYARD KING GANNETT NEWS SERVICE The Olympian Online

WASHINGTON -- Letters from hometown soldiers describing their successes rebuilding Iraq have been appearing in newspapers across the country as U.S. public opinion on the mission sours.
And all the letters are the same.

A Gannett News Service search found identical letters from different soldiers with the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, also known as "The Rock," in 11 newspapers, including Snohomish, Wash.

The Olympian received two identical letters signed by different hometown soldiers: Spc. Joshua Ackler and Spc. Alex Marois, who is now a sergeant. The paper declined to run either because of a policy not to publish form letters.

The five-paragraph letter talks about the soldiers' efforts to re-establish police and fire departments, and build water and sewer plants in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, where the unit is based.

"The quality of life and security for the citizens has been largely restored, and we are a large part of why that has happened," the letter reads.

It describes people waving at passing troops and children running up to shake their hands and say thank you.

It's not clear who wrote the letter or organized sending it to soldiers' hometown papers.

Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it.

Marois, 23, told his family he signed the letter, said Moya Marois, his stepmother. But she said he was puzzled why it was sent to the newspaper in Olympia. He attended high school in Olympia but no longer considers the city home, she said. Moya Marois and Alex's father, Les, now live near Kooskia, Idaho.

A seventh soldier didn't know about the letter until his father congratulated him for getting it published in the local newspaper in Beckley, W.Va.

"When I told him he wrote such a good letter, he said: 'What letter?' " Timothy Deaconson said Friday, recalling the phone conversation he had with his son, Nick. "This is just not his (writing) style."

He spoke to his son, Pfc. Nick Deaconson, at a hospital where he was recovering from a grenade explosion that left shrapnel in both his legs.

Sgt. Christopher Shelton, who signed a letter that ran in the Snohomish Herald, said Friday that his platoon sergeant had distributed the letter and asked soldiers for the names of their hometown newspapers. Soldiers were asked to sign the letter if they agreed with it, said Shelton, whose shoulder was wounded during an ambush earlier this year.

"Everything it said is dead accurate. We've done a really good job," he said by phone from Italy, where he was preparing to return to Iraq.

Sgt. Todd Oliver, a spokesman for the 173rd Airborne Brigade, which counts the 503rd as one of its units, said he was told a soldier wrote the letter, but he didn't know who. He said the brigade's public affairs unit was not involved.

"When he asked other soldiers in his unit to sign it, they did," Oliver explained in an e-mail response to a GNS inquiry. "Someone, somewhere along the way, took it upon themselves to mail it to the various editors of newspapers across the country."

Lt. Col. Bill MacDonald, a spokesman for the 4th infantry Division that is heading operations in north-central Iraq, said he had not heard about the letter-writing campaign.

Neither had Lt. Cmdr. Nick Balice, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla.

A recent poll suggests that Americans are increasingly skeptical of America's prolonged involvement in Iraq. A USA Today-CNN-Gallup Poll released Sept. 23 found 50 percent believe that the situation in Iraq was worth going to war over, down from 73 percent in April.

The letter talks about the soldiers' mission, saying, "one thousand of my fellow soldiers and I parachuted from ten jumbo jets." It describes Kirkuk as "a hot and dusty city of just over a million people." It tells about the progress they have made.

"The fruits of all our soldiers' efforts are clearly visible in the streets of Kirkuk today. There is very little trash in the streets, many more people in the markets and shops, and children have returned to school," the letter reads. "I am proud of the work we are doing here in Iraq and I hope all of your readers are as well."

Sgt. Shawn Grueser of Poca, W.Va., said he spoke to a military public affairs officer whose name he couldn't remember about his accomplishments in Iraq for what he thought was a news release to be sent to his hometown paper in Charleston, W.Va. But the 2nd Battalion soldier said he did not sign any letter.

Although Grueser said he agrees with the letter's sentiments, he was uncomfortable that a letter with his signature did not contain his own words or spell out his own accomplishments.

"It makes it look like you cheated on a test, and everybody got the same grade," Grueser said by phone from a base in Italy where he had just arrived from Iraq.

Moya Marois said she is proud of her stepson Alex, the former Olympia resident. But she worries that the letter tries to give legitimacy to a war she doesn't think was justified.

"We're going to support our son," she said. But "there are a lot of Americans that are not in support of this war that would like to see them returned home, and think it's going to get worse."
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM       
That's some damn lackluster propoganda. I don't find it outrageous, just lazy. I expect bettern workmanship for my tax dollars.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:44 PM       
mwhaah, you take it with better humor than i.

you gotta wonder why some department has been assigned to devious pr on the war.. how much are they spending on window dressing this situation? why isn't it grassroots? i don't think the answer would be pleasant for most americans.

15thou more troops have been activated in the last few weeks..
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3517333 would YOU like to go to iraq as a combat soldier to play policeman target because bush gave them the white glove treatment or worse?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I expect bettern workmanship for my tax dollars.
That's exactly why you need to become libertarian.

I'm serious. I'm trying to count how many things you have said that would support such a proposition. Let's also not forget the whole $4000 cell phone thing...
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:38 PM       
TOAO: Send me a memo when the private sector creates an OS to rival GNU/Linux in terms of functionality and security.

MORE COCKS PLEASE
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:12 AM       
There are liberatarian points that make some sense to me, but see;

A.) I believe in taxation. I hate taxes being thrown down the shitter or into the deep pockets of the folks own our politicians, but essentially I believe in taxation, and I believe on a representative democracy coming to some sort of concensus on what needs those taxes should fulfill. Moreover, I believe strongly that the more money you make, the greater percentage of your income should go to taxes. Why? Simply becuase you can afford it and society is a group effort. I think taxes and politcians should be watchdogged like crazy, but I'm fine with taxation.

B.) I believe in a strong, wide societal safety net. I think protecting the weak and the poor is something society should try to do. Will they screw up? Over and over. Will there be corruption? Buckets and buckets. But those things come with anything human beings do. I don't see them as reasons to leave people behind.

C.) I believe in government regulation, because corporations have no concience and would grind you up for dog food if they could get away with it.

Any of that sound Liberatarian?

Now if the Liberatarians back life sentences for white collar criminals, I might be willing to forgo some of that other stuff, but until them, the Democrats with all their terrible, spineless weakness, still suit me best.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:45 AM       
...Which is why you should be a communist.

http://www.lukewhitmore.com/oldsites...commutest.html
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:26 AM       
Historically, communism has proved itself far too coruptable and vulnerable to charismatic strongmen.

While there are aspects of Marxism I find attractive, I think the fact that is has never once been practiced without almost immidiately becoming closet totalitarianism speaks to fatal flaws.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:06 PM       
I got my fingers crossed on Hugo.

Although I hope you realise I was only kidding, y'know, in reply to "you should be a libertarian."