Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:01 PM        Voting conspiracy?
I know there at least several individuals from the northern Virginia area that frequent these boards regularly, so I think I'll tell about my rather interesting voting experience here. Maybe one of you can help me.

A month or so ago I went to get my student ID remade at VCU, the school I attend (I live in Fredericksburg, just so you know) and decided to fill out what I thought was a form to have the state send me a voters card, which I believed I needed to vote. I was wrong on both counts; I only needed a valid form of ID to vote on election day (today, obviously), and the form was actually a request to have an absentee ballot sent to my residence. Not wanting to vote absentee because I feel better doing it in person, I followed the instrustions outlined inside the envelope to negate my absentee vote, which required me sending a form back to the county in a provided envelope. In big bold letters it said I HAD to do this if I wanted to vote personally. I did EXACTLY what they said, placed a soggy stamp on the envelope, put it in my mailbox and thought that was that.

Around 10 am I made my way to the voting place and stood in the I-Q line. I presented my ID to the lady with the list of registered voters, and she told me I had an "AB" next to my name, which apparently meant I had voted absentee. She directed me to the main official in the building and he called the voting registrar office.
After standing for ten minutes as he chattered on the phone, he told me he could not hand me a ballot because they had me registered as an absentee voter in the county. Outraged, I explained my situation to him and asked where I could reach the voting registrar building. He gave me directions and I blazed over there.

Once I arrived the lady at the desk was attending to a guy who looked around my age. Apparently he was having the exact same problem I had. She tried to brush us away by saying there was nothing she could do, but fortunately the other guy there was a law school student and knew his stuff. He mentioned voting provisional. I had never heard of it. She brought us both to the back room, handed us a ballot and an envelope to seal it in which she had to sign herself as a witness. She assured us "everything was taken care of." I wasn't so sure. Neither was he.

Needless to say, Virginia is going to be decisively won by Bush, so it really didn't matter whether I voted or not. But that doesn't make light of the matter that I had to deal with today. I followed the directions EXACTLY that the county had sent me. How could something so simple be made so sketchy and complicated? If I remember correctly, provisional ballots MAY or MAY NOT be counted. I'm no expert at this stuff, but I'd feel alot better if they had just let me vote at the voting booth. I'm not a cynical person by nature, but this has left me wondering. Can I take any legal action with this? I would imagine so, if the county were at fault with this. After all, the right to vote is in the Constitution. Are there any numbers I can call?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:03 PM       
1 800 YOUR AN IDIOT
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM       
Theres a lot of shady stuff going on it seems. Other people have been complaining that they voted straight democrat on the computer booth things, but at the end it said they had voted Republican. Shady indeed.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM       
what kind of straps do you use?

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM       
Even though i do vote straight (same party for all) i made sure to fill in each and everyone seperatly, to make damn sure they know who im picking, and i voted for the guy thats running againsted bush if anyones interested.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM       
If you vote a straight-party ticket, you're an idiot, and probably shouldn't be voting at all.
Dynamic Dustin M. is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:51 PM       
Similar thing happened here. I had registered to vote online and low and behold, when I went to the ballots, I wasn't on the list. Needless to say, I got my ass down there to vote so damn it I was going to vote. So I pulled aside the chairperson there, explained the situation, got the "late/otherwise/we screwed up" fill out form, and voted.
Burger Lord is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM       
none of this would have happened if you went to the voting area wearing camo pants a flanel shirt and a John Deere hat with a rifle on your back. They would have walked you into the booth personally.

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
If you vote a straight-party ticket, you're an idiot, and probably shouldn't be voting at all.
I do my homework, and there wasnt a stinking rebublican on the
ballot i liked! good enough for ya idiot? (hears chants of "ooohhh")

And your attitude is that of someone who voted for bush in 2000,
still pissed that you didnt think back then?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:01 PM       
way to generalize guys...
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:50 PM       
If you did your homework, good for you. But you know what? Your initial statement was "I DO vote a straight party ticket," which implies that you do it every time you vote, and that makes me seriously doubt you do any amount of research.

It's a free country. You reserve the right to vote that way, I reserve the right to chide you for it.

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:25 PM       
"Chide" away, but thats generaly my party, there have been times in the past where my views were different, and reflected in my vote..