Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM        Will our lack of a N.Korea policy make war inevitable?
So now N. Korea says it has actually processed all it's spent fuel rods. That means their radioactive materials are now weapons grade.

In all this time we have refused to deal with them directly, we rule out negotiation of any kind. The same President who insisted on a unilateral approach in Iraq insists with equal fervor on a multi lateral approach to N. Korea.

We are withwrawing our troups on the Penninsula. removing them from first strike range.

I can't tell if the administration is stumbling towards war with a Nuclear North Korea, or actively intends it. It scracely matters.

If someone here thinks we are NOT going to war with North Korea, please cheer me up and tell me why you think so.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM       
despite all the increasing tension between our government and theirs, talks have actually begun making progress between N. and S. Korea. many higher ups in their government would like to see this crisis peacefully resolved.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:06 PM       
Wouldn't have had this problem if Clinton wasn't such a fuck up with foregin policy.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Wouldn't have had this problem if Clinton wasn't such a fuck up with foregin policy.
Clinton is no longer in office. Bush is. Are you stuck in a fucking time warp? Clinton is irrelevant.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:31 AM       
although Clinton is no longer in office, one cannot discount the effects his adminstration had on the state of world affairs today.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:38 AM        Re: Will our lack of a N.Korea policy make war inevitable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
If someone here thinks we are NOT going to war with North Korea, please cheer me up and tell me why you think so.
Because they have weapons of mass destruction.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:16 AM       
Jeanette, if you are going to talk about politics, you have to understand that what a former president does can and usually does have consaquences in the future.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM       
I agree. We'd never be in this mess if that moron Eisenhower hadn't screwed up so bad.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:45 PM       
Some good news on Korea today, China and the U.S. have agreed to work together in approaching N. Korea.

China is the only world power besides the US who have carrots and sticks to bring to the table and a willingness to negotiate we lack. S. Korea certainly has vital interests at stake, but not enough aid to offer and nothing besides us to threaten with seriosuly (and it's the threat of us that's N. Korea's principle problem right now, so it can hardly be seen as an incentive).

China will need to move clearly and quickly, though, and those are not the two greatest strengths of their regime.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:23 AM       
- Big John Howard got together with the US to train troops to intercept N Korean ships.

- N Korea says this is 'escalating' an already hazardous situation, and they might send some ICBM's our way.

- John Howard says, "What, me worry?"
Legislacerator
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:41 AM       
the North Koreans are pushing it at exactly the wrong time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:11 AM       
Hey! I spoke too soon! Speaking from Crawford, W. offers us a great NORTH KOREA POLICY!

(From AP wire)
" Bush said he believes a diplomatic solution to the North Korean nuclear standoff can be reached if North Korea's neighbors tell the government of Kim Jong Il, "A decision to develop a nuclear arsenal is one that will alienate you from the rest of the world."

I'm not certain you guys can imagine my relief. If this doesn't straighten things out, I'm sure I doon't know what will. Once Kim Il Finds out he's been alienating folks, he'll mend his ways. I think it's pretty clear he cares a lot about that kind of thing.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:39 PM       
"I agree. We'd never be in this mess if that moron Eisenhower hadn't screwed up so bad. "

FOr fear that people will take this as a glib response, allow me to elucidate: Eisenhower removed the carefully placed Seventh Fleet, which Truman had positioned to protect what remained of the Imperial Chinese infrastructure, and thus created all sorts of problems for all of Asia when Mao took over the crumbling remains of China will almost an absent thought. This act alone, more than anythign else done in connection with the Korean War, complicated the future of the world in general.

Every President we have had since then has contributed to the mess we are now in, though some more than others. I am not exactly certain of Clinton's tie to this mess, but doubtless it is there.

To answer the original question, no, there will be no war. For the same reason Japan could not further its attacks against Russia in 1905, No Korea can not risk prolonged hostile engagements now. What Kim needs is to fashion a free market and open borders between No and So Korea. The fissionable material is a bargaining chip to enter into the world market successfully, which he cannot do by any other means.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM       
I doubt there will be a war because N. Korea has nuclear weapons. Consider how crazy it's leader is, he might actually set one off.

This is perhaps the biggest loophole I've found in the Iraq = WMD argument: I sure hope we would not engage in a war with a country that has nothing to lose and might say "let's go out with a bang". Granted, Saddam is probably smarter than that, but why risk it?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM       
Gosh, Shach, I was just trying to make a glib response....

Actually I meant what you said. BUT I also meant, in response to the great void Vinth that you can push blame backward a whole lot more than to just Clinton.