Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM        Further proof that our country is doomed
OK, to recap: The Bush Administration has sent our troops into an illegal war, sent 1,350 of them to their graves, lied to us about WMDs, moved to cut both active duty personnel combat pay and veterans' benefits, may be starting another war with Iran, and wants to bet Social Security on the stock market. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

So, how do Americans feel about Bush's second term?

Hopeful!

We are chumbawumba'd.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...0032-7435r.htm

U.S. hopeful about second term

ASSOCIATED PRESS

A majority of Americans say they feel hopeful about President Bush's second term, but those hopes are clouded by doubts about when the bloodshed in Iraq will end.

People say Iraq should be the president's highest priority, according to an Associated Press (AP) poll that found that respondents are not optimistic that a stable government will take hold there.

After winning re-election, Mr. Bush is preparing to pursue an ambitious agenda that includes efforts to change Social Security, federal tax laws and medical-malpractice awards.

Ahead of Mr. Bush's inauguration on Thursday, six in 10 people said they feel hopeful about his second term. In addition, 47 percent said they are worried. Most said they are neither angry nor excited about his final four years in office.

Iraq was cited most often as the president's highest priority, according to the poll conducted for AP by Ipsos-Public Affairs. Of those questioned, 53 percent said it is unlikely that Iraq will have a stable government.

"Iraq remains the kind of thing that could completely take over the term, if the situation gets a lot worse," said Charles Franklin, a political scientist at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Mr. Bush's domestic wish list — with its focus on allowing private accounts in Social Security for younger Americans, limiting lawsuit awards, and overhauling tax laws — could gain momentum from the increased Republican majorities in the House and Senate. But Republican lawmakers are showing a willingness to challenge Mr. Bush's proposals.

Behind Iraq in public concerns for Mr. Bush's second term is the economy, which moved past terrorism as a top concern in AP polls in the past two months. Social Security was named as a top issue by only 9 percent, taxes by 2 percent.

People were relatively optimistic about their own personal finances in the next year. Four in 10 said they expect their own situation to improve, and a similar number said they expect it will stay the same, according to the poll of 1,000 adults taken Jan. 10 to 12. The margin of error is three percentage points.

Public perceptions of the president's personal strengths are his biggest asset today.

Almost two-thirds of those polled described Mr. Bush as likable, strong and intelligent. A majority said he is dependable and honest.

Those assets are reflected in his latest approval ratings.

According to a Time magazine poll conducted Wednesday through Thursday, the president's approval rating had risen to 53 percent. Last month, his approval rating was 49 percent.

The overall ratings in Time's poll reflect increases across many issues, including his handling of Iraq, the economy and the war on terrorism.

But the nation is divided on his aggressive Social Security reform. According to Time's poll, 47 percent oppose the president's plan to allow people to invest part of their Social Security payroll taxes in stocks and bonds, while 44 percent support it.

The Time poll was from a sample of 1,002 adults and also has a margin of error of three percentage points.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM       

I feel more and more distanced from Americans everytime i read the news. I also saw an article th eother day where Bush was quoted explaining why no one would be held accountable for the 'faulty' intelligence about wmds or the poor planning of the Iraq invasion. He said the American people had the chance to hold him accountable and they voted to keep so that means they approve of everything so therefore there is nothing to be held accountable for... or something like that. And as much as I think that is arrogant and ignorant and cowardly...the people did vote for him. They had their chance and chose to stay with this dangerous boy-king. My mom voted for Bush because she 'trusted him' or some childish reason. Now she can't understand why she can't get good health care coverage, and why her husband who suffers from macular degeneration probably won't have a cure in their lifetime because the most promising results for reversing that disease come from fetal stem cell research, but you can call off four more years of research on that. And when you try to explain something over and over but they don't listen you almost want to step back and say 'fine, see what happens you stick your finger in there.'
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:42 AM       
whats up with our little big brother to the south? Lately it seems America is out for more blood than usual. Why the hell would they attack Iran? Why not Korea? You know that county that DOES have a nuclear weapons program. The main reason other countries are pissed off about this is that the States can't just up and leave Iraq anymore. They HAVE to finish what they started now.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:03 AM       
BECAUSE IF WE ATTACK KOREA THEN WE WONT HAVE ANY MORE FIREWORKS WITH WHICH TO CELEBRATE THE FREEDOM OF OUR COUNTRY, YOU F*G
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM       
Korea has no oil.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM       
Hey, that's funny! 'Cause neither does Darfur!
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM       
Iran does, though...and they hate all of us good, God-fearin' Christian folks...and they'd like nothing better that to have their way with our daughters rectums and force us to give up bacon and bar b q....those heathen bastards....

Space Pope is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM       
I'll say I'm proud to be an American, but I'm ashamed to walk under the same banner that is tarnished by money grubbing, corporate whores. The outstanding corruption that swings through all levels of the government has replaced the value of human life and rights with the value of the dollar...

I love my country, but I fear my government!!!

Sojourn is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Pope
I'll say I'm proud to be an American, but I'm ashamed to walk under the same banner that is tarnished by money grubbing, corporate whores. The outstanding corruption that swings through all levels of the government has replaced the value of human life and rights with the value of the dollar...

It has been that way from the colonies onward. It has been exponentially more blatant with each decade. People will never be able to stop this. Those that fear leaving their comfort zones will remain and grumble while others will seek out safe haven in countries that will eventually reject them (if not already).
Out of his element.
DehydratedPorkMan is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:11 PM       
I'm sure someone has an answer for me 'cuz it still makes my brain itch....although I'm sure it has something to do with not electing a new president during war.
If the majority opposes the war, why was Bush re-elected?
This is an honest question, I'm actually not being sarcastic for once.

"At that moment an unending stream of traffic crossed over the bridge."

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM       
Simplified, he has already shown himself to be one uber testosterone fueled, combative asshole. We've already super-flexed ourselves in the past four years and bullied the world. We've lied in the process to justify our actions. We can't wuss out now and allow the cavitation occur or else we will be eaten alive.

Shit, we voted him in, electoral or not. As much as it sucks, who else could we have there now?
Out of his element.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn
Simplified, he has already shown himself to be one uber testosterone fueled, combative asshole. We've already super-flexed ourselves in the past four years and bullied the world. We've lied in the process to justify our actions. We can't wuss out now and allow the cavitation occur or else we will be eaten alive.

Shit, we voted him in, electoral or not. As much as it sucks, who else could we have there now?
So in a way, we fucked ourselves. Political masturbation. I shall patent it, and nobody will use it anyway.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:55 PM       
Illusionism. We're doing it with mirrors. You cannot patent an illusion with all the variables. If you could, we would've done it by now.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DehydratedPorkMan
I'm sure someone has an answer for me 'cuz it still makes my brain itch....although I'm sure it has something to do with not electing a new president during war.
because god and jesus love bush and know that he will use his power to stop the great evil in the AHHHHHHHHHH! I JUST PUKED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:06 PM        Re: Further proof that our country is doomed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
So, how do Americans feel about Bush's second term?

Hopeful!
Well, really, do you think they'd have voted for him if they didn't think he could do better? :/
Out of his element.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggameover
Quote:
Originally Posted by DehydratedPorkMan
because god and jesus love bush and know that he will use his power to stop the great evil in the AHHHHHHHHHH! I JUST PUKED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD!!!
Bloody difficult being an agnostic these days.

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux
Korea has no oil.
They do, however have a huge fucking country thats one step shy of being a super powering yanking their leash.

I don't see a full scale invasion of Iran anytime soon, though.

Quote:

I hate to tell you, but the American Revolution was more about the rights of the private bussiness man (aka Corporate Whores) than it was the rights of all mankind. Women, the poor, and minorities didn't have it too hot afterwards.
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM       
Immortal/Blanco, thanks for keeping this thread from getting completely gayed up.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM       
Just for that, here's my two cents...

Now, I'm no math whiz, but there was something in that article that confused me.
Quote:
six in 10 people said they feel hopeful about his second term. In addition, 47 percent said they are worried. Most said they are neither angry nor excited about his final four years in office.
If I'm not mistaken, 6 in 10 translates to 60%. Add 47% saying they are worried to that, and you have 107%. In that case, how the fuck do you get "most said they are neither angry nor excited"?
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:41 AM       
Sorry, Immortal, I was thinking of another thread you posted in. And I was sincere in my appreciation of this thread being saved from Gaydom. And I forgot to include Chojin in my thanks, which is totally ironic if you think about it.

At any rate, you do have a point about the poll results. Perhaps these were the same people who were coutning the votes in Ohio. I mean, if three or four thousand people can cast votes in a county where there are only six hundred registered voters, why can't you have a poll that adds up to 107%?

/end tangent
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Quote:
six in 10 people said they feel hopeful about his second term. In addition, 47 percent said they are worried. Most said they are neither angry nor excited about his final four years in office.
If I'm not mistaken, 6 in 10 translates to 60%. Add 47% saying they are worried to that, and you have 107%. In that case, how the fuck do you get "most said they are neither angry nor excited"?

I'm sure those were at least three, if not four, seperate questions.

I think you can be worried, yet hopeful, without being angry - though in my mind, worried implies excitement.