Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:09 PM        Japanese Horror the New Alternative?
It all started with Ringu getting recognition once The Ring came about. Then came news of Battle Royale. Now more Japanese films of the genre are coming around.

Do you think that Japanese Horror is the solution to the too-tame state of horror nowadays? Have you seen any films that you can comment on?

I recently came across a DVD called Audition, that really caught my eye. But it's hard to spend $20 on a movie that you don't know the first thing about. Not unlike Anime, where there's not enough exposure in the US to get a general consensus, or catch it on TV to know what to think.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:50 PM       
Audition is an excellent film. I wouldn't quite call it a "horror" movie per say... more like a psychological thriller/drama. Regardless, it's definitely worth seeing.
Mike P is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 06:31 PM       
There's a review of Audition here. There's also a review of the Ringu series on the site, and I guess it kind of went downhill after the first one. [/url]
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 06:34 PM       
Well, I just group them all into Horror for this discussion.

But what are the thoughts about Japanese films overtaking American ones when it comes to quality? Also, what was the last American Horror film you saw that really present a scare or unsettling feeling inside you?

I saw the opening for Ghost Ship, and I have to say that it was probably the most graphic stuff I've seen in a scary film in God-knows how long, if ever. I didn't watch the rest, though.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM       
Japanese horror tends to be a lot more psychological. It is shit that actually does scare me, unlike American horror which tends to just try to shock the viewer with things that pop out of nowhere, or disgust them through gore. Japanese horror gives the audience credit and fucks with you on a very primitive but much more effective level imo... you're scared by what you don't see...

Audition was ok but if you want to see an awesome Japanese horror film check out Cure.

pissed off salesman is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:50 PM       
My bid goes for "suito homu". It had a great story, a godd video game spinoff, and some pretty terrifying scenes. But I still cant seem to find it on VHS or DVD.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:26 PM       
Very valid points, Soundtest. And you're exactly right. You could make a drinking game based on the cheap scares in American horror films, there's so many of them.

When you look back at the classics, there's story involved, and actual mind games that are played in the themes used. While they had cheap scares as well, they weren't relied on to progress the story. But it seems now, that's all they got given the new standards and ratings. They can't make films too scary.

So would you people be more inclined to take more interested in the Japanese's approach toward scary films over American ones? And really, what WAS the most recently released America horror film that actually did have quality scares, story, etc in it that you saw?
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
Personally I think it's a different type of horror, verging on 'psychological thriller' like Rog was saying. But for argument's sake, as far as scary goes I'd say Japanese wins hands down. You're totally right though - I can't remember what the last American 'horror' film that freaked me out was.

Something else I think is vital and missing most of the time is character development... or even interesting characters (usually the villain/killer/horrible thing is fucking cool, but besides that you're got the body bag fillers and the lifeguard hero or lucky screaming girl that survives; they're cut-out and empty). In most Japanese horror movies a lot of the film is spent establishing the viewer's relationship with the main characters, and showing how they are regular, normal people like you. It's kind of a cheap trick, and I'm surprised it hasn't been exploited to death, but if you have an emotional attachment to the characters, what happens to them is going to affect you much more.

AUDITION SPOLIER

If you went into this movie blindly - I saw this film without even seeing the package... knew nothing about it - you were in for a pretty big shock. For more than half the movie it's like an almost comedic romantic tale. This light hearted nature just makes the turn of events that much more powerful. Deeper deeper deeper deeper deeper

END AUDITION SPOLIER
Ooner is probably a spambot
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:22 PM       
soundtest beat me to posting about how Audition intentionally messes with you pretending to lighthearted and fun. then not quite as cute. then sort of dark. then definitely creepy. then just horribly scary and fucked up.

that's really what makes it work, it would have been kind of dumb otherwise.

and no spoiler tag because this is a thread about horror and everyone knows audition gets all violent and scary.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:10 AM       
Here's a question for you.

Where do you people learn about these kind of movies, and see them? Do you just find one in the store that catches your eye and shell out 20-30 bucks on it?
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:13 AM       
I would recommend "dark water". it´s directed by the same guy who directed Ringu. IMO dark water is a hell of a lot scarier than ringu. Goddamn I nearly wet my pants, when I watched the movie at night.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:17 AM       
Also if you want to see a very sick and gory japanese film, watch Ichi The Killer. It has got to be the most sickening film around. I find these japanese films in a videostore near to my house. There is a japanese section in the store which is updated quite often.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:11 AM       
ichi is a cool movie, fun for all the family.

the eye is a spooky movie, especially the elevator scene

Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:01 AM       
James: I mostly hear about them in forums like this, sometimes I just buy something half-blindly. My friends and I all try to find forgotten silver by semi-random selection, so we do collectively accumulate a decent amount of good titles this way

Salesman: I've been looking for Suito Homu for a while too. Let me know if you find anything.

Melvin: I've been considering Dark Water myself, might pick it up today.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM       
"Audition" is fucked up and freaky as hell. You've GOT to see that, James.

Personally I found "Ringu" to be boring, and not scary at ALL, whereas the American remake really did freak me out. More than anything, I blame production values for the difference. The Japenese version had a comparatively low budget and it showed. Things just looked WAY too fake.

This is a Chinese movie, but I think it has the same sort of feel as a lot of Japanese horror. Check out "The Eye". I found that one to be pretty freaky in parts. It has some jump out of your seat moments but most of the film is psychological.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 05:15 PM       
When I lived in Toronto I used to just watch Asian flicks on CFMT/OMNI2. Now though I pretty much download everything. :bittorrent

If you live in a city just go hang out in Chinatown and check out the VCD/DVD shops. Ask the owners - they always know what's up and what's good.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM       
Bah, I guess I'm just doomed to never see any of these movies. If the only way I'll ever be exposed to them is to download them (boo) or gamble away $20-$30 (boo too), then I'm just screwed.

Bastards are lucky, with your "friends" and "TV channels." Just fuck you, OK? I'll just watch Feardotcom for the millionth time, and pretend it's the best horror film since Urban Legends: Final Cut.