Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:53 PM        Vice City discs
My VC disc was somehow corrupted over the summer by a series of minor scratches.

I don't know how they hapened, but they seemed for a while to ruin my disc. I had to run it through a gamedoctor once to get it running with freezing every 5-10 minutes, a second time to get it running with freezing when VROCK was on, a third for it to freeze roughly every thirty to forty minutes and VROCK freezing every second or third song, and i have now currently run it through a fourth time, which results in freezing only every three to four hours, give or take 10 minutes. This seems extremely excessive considering the size of the scratches, which were maybe only 1/5 of an inch each, toward the middle rings of the disc, and very shallow. I'm considering putting it through for a fifth run, but i don't know if it's good to buff that much off of the disc.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem with their discs? I think that maybe due to the amount of information stored on the discs that they may just be very easily corrupted, but i don't know if it's happened to anyone else besides me. My friend's also corrupted pretty badly, and sometimes would not be read by the ps2 when he put it in, but he said he used to leave it out of the case on his desk a lot, so his results are nulled. :/
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:07 AM       
Mine has no scratches, but every once in a while (I have no idea what does this) the radio stops playing and then the game stops completely to load it again. But it doesn't freeze more than any other copy of vice city (anymore).
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:46 AM       
The first copy of Vice City i got froze up several times right out of the box, the one i have now however almost never freezes. I thinks some disks are just bad.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:43 AM       
I don't even have Vice City. I must have it.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:14 PM       
Whattaya mean "any other copy?" Mine never froze at all, up until this point. :/
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 06:48 AM       
maybe your PS2's laser is getting out of alignment

-willie

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:48 PM       
That's what I was going to say :< Try your disc in a new-ish PS2 and see what happens. You'll probably need to replace the drive.

www.llamma.com

that's where I got my xbox drive. they aren't too helpful, but it's pretty much the only thing around like it.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:03 PM       
I'm doubting at this point that it's the drive, i got mine a year after the initial release, and Kengo, Way of the Samurai, and Rygar all play perfectly on it. I thought the laser problems were only with first year consoles?
Slim Goodbody
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
Whattaya mean "any other copy?" Mine never froze at all, up until this point. :/
Vice city has been known to freeze. Sometimes it never does, but out of many hours of gameplay it does just freezes. Only happened once to one of my chums, and since I got my 'box fixed it hasn't happened yet.
There are articles at gamefaqs.com about the freezing.

Marilyn666 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 06:36 PM       
Vice city is one of the best games ever, it also got me obsessed with police officers.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 12:44 PM       
lasers on ANY cd player or DVD player can get out of alignment over time

-willie
Slim Goodbody
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 06:49 PM       
The PS2 though has 2 different lasers in it that switch back and fourth depending on the type of game. This causes more jamming and chance of mis-alignment.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:05 PM       
I hear it making clunky kinda sounds that warn me it's gonna freeze soon. That doesn't seem good. I hope you're all wrong.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:43 PM       
It might be that Vice City is on a DVD disc instead of a CD disc. A DVD disc has a few layers of information, while a CD only has one. If you scratch a DVD one just a little bit, it becomes really hard to read.
LOL INTERNETS
Command Prompt is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 11:45 PM       
Are you the queer type that has your PS/2 vertically? That drastically increases the chance of the laser going out of alignment.

These problems don't bother me anymore, cause I traded the little bastard in for an X-box.