Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM       
Yep, it's one thing to hate some of the name changes (as I do some as well) but the script itself is better. That's where I don't see the beef.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM       
Illumina -> Lightbringer?

GAAAAAAAY

That was very funny. Well done.
Seizure Cloud
Divisible by Waffle is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland View Post
You're an idiot.
Call me an idiot again, and I'll rip your lungs out. Seriously, I can see giving the script some touchups and translation fixes, but removing classic lines is unforgivable. It's pretty clear to me that they took a few of them out just to make the kids happy. What the hell.

They even messed with KEFKA'S LINES. KEFKA'S GODDAMN LINES OF GODLINESS. It's son of a SUBMARINER, you bitches, not son of a sandworm! Jesus Christ. At least they didn't mess with Ultros's name.

Can I live with it? Yeah, but it takes away from the "this is Final Fantasy VI" charm a little.
And the Norwegian died of laughter.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM       
They took out son of a submariner? That's pretty shitty, actually.

Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM       
Yeah, they changed it to, "Son of a sandworm!" I was pissed when I saw that. Good fucking lord.

Also, it's not "Welcome to my barbeque," but rather, "Enjoy the barbeque!"
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM       
Actually it was "Welcome to my barbeque."

And I think Son of a Submariner had some kind of sexual connotation. Or something. Nintendo is faggot.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM       
Quote:
Call me an idiot again, and I'll rip your lungs out. Seriously, I can see giving the script some touchups and translation fixes, but removing classic lines is unforgivable. It's pretty clear to me that they took a few of them out just to make the kids happy. What the hell.

They even messed with KEFKA'S LINES. KEFKA'S GODDAMN LINES OF GODLINESS. It's son of a SUBMARINER, you bitches, not son of a sandworm! Jesus Christ. At least they didn't mess with Ultros's name.

Can I live with it? Yeah, but it takes away from the "this is Final Fantasy VI" charm a little.
Yeah those are so awesome reasons to hate the better script that actually tells the story much better. Again, you're an idiot. You're just griping, I see no validity in your reasoning. I'm happy overall with the changes. Some bad, more good. Have you even played through the whole remake? Christ.

It's not like I can't go and play Final Fantasy III when I want.

And guys... if you would have noticed my title. I put that there the first day the remake came out.

Edit: You're 16... nevermind. I get it.

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM       
What's the point of a remake if it is exactly the same anyway. This would especially irritate me if the original game came out before people learned how to properly translate a game.
The Wolf
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM       
Well no shit. I'm all for redoing the poorly translated bits, I just wish they hadn't changed some of the more memorable parts that don't even need changing. I don't know why doomgaze was changed to deathgaze, for example. It's not something that's gonna keep me up at night, but if I'm feeling nostalgic and decide to play the game and saw a change like that, I'd be mildly irritated that they've changed stuff that they shouldn't have.

I feel like I just repeated myself fifty times and I feel like a total nerd for even discussing this to such an extent, but oh well.

And in closing, what do you care? You can't even beat call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth

Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
I'd be mildly irritated that they've changed stuff that they shouldn't have.
Exactly.

Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM       
Dude, that's all I was saying in the first place. I don't like the unnecessary changes they made; in the event of a Chrono Trigger remake, I would sincerely hope that they'd pay a bit closer attention to what actually needs to be changed, and what they're just changing for no god-damned reason. I'm not about to go on a rampage about it, but it pisses me off a little. They spiffed up the script a little in the PS1 release, I believe, and I was OK with that because no classic lines were touched. Forgive me if I'm wrong, though, as I haven't played the PS1 version recently enough to remember much. Fucking load times.

And not all of us can just go and play FFIII; at least, without having to deal with playing it using a keyboard.

Also, I was meaning that they changed "Welcome to my barbeque" to "Enjoy the barbeque." I know the original script pretty well.

One last thing: I only hate those new changes, not the entire new script itself. Try reading my posts next time. And I'm sixteen, so what? That means I can't have an opinion?
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM       
Quote:
including the script; for the love of god, please don't pull a FFVI Advance and mess up the script
They didn't. The script is better.

Quote:
I can see giving the script some touchups and translation fixes, but removing classic lines is unforgivable. It's pretty clear to me that they took a few of them out just to make the kids happy. What the hell.
It's forgivable. It's their game and the touches are only something to mildly snicker at. Try reading the dialogue throughout the game side to side with FFIII and get back to me.

Quote:
They even messed with KEFKA'S LINES. KEFKA'S GODDAMN LINES OF GODLINESS. It's son of a SUBMARINER, you bitches, not son of a sandworm! Jesus Christ.
Yep.

Quote:
At least they didn't mess with Ultros's name.
Get that from RPGamer's review?

And then you go on to say

Quote:
Can I live with it? Yeah
Cool.

Quote:
but it takes away from the "this is Final Fantasy VI" charm a little.
Wait? So you're Japanese? This game is translated more true to the original FFVI...

Quote:
They spiffed up the script a little in the PS1 release, I believe, and I was OK with that because no classic lines were touched.
Ugh... the PS1 release is an abomination...

Quote:
One last thing: I only hate those new changes, not the entire new script itself.
Oh ok cool. So they didn't mess up the script? They just made some changes you disagree with? Cool.

Quote:
Try reading my posts next time. And I'm sixteen, so what? That means I can't have an opinion?
You can have an opinion. You're just not completely sure what it is. I'm pretty sure you aren't totally stupid but I can still call you an idiot. Just the same as you can call me one.

Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland View Post
They didn't. The script is better.
That's a matter of opinion, when you come down to it. Like I said before: fixing translation errors and rewording awkward sentences is one thing, but removing a perfectly good line like, "Call me a treasure hunter or I'll rip your lungs out!" and replacing it with, "How rude!" is clearly just for the sake of censorship. That's what I'm annoyed about here.

Quote:
It's forgivable. It's their game and the touches are only something to mildly snicker at. Try reading the dialogue throughout the game side to side with FFIII and get back to me.
I disagree with you here, but whining won't do much to change the game's script. At least they did the music right.

Quote:
Get that from RPGamer's review?
Nope, I got it from playing the damn game. I don't even read RPGgamer. They only changed it to "Orthos" in Dawn of Souls, and when I heard of FFVI Advance, I was pretty sure they would mess shit up again. Like others have said before me, the renaming got a little out of hand. I mean, Lightbringer? What the fuck?

Quote:
Wait? So you're Japanese? This game is translated more true to the original FFVI...
I just called it FFVI so no one would eat my ass for using "improper" naming, and also partially just out of habit. I love FFIIIj, so naturally, I'm more inclined to call that FFIII.

Quote:
Ugh... the PS1 release is an abomination...
Agreed 100%, actually; I just remember the dialogue being a bit more fluid than in the SNES version. But those load times were absolutely horrible. I couldn't even finish the game.

Quote:
Oh ok cool. So they didn't mess up the script? They just made some changes you disagree with? Cool.
I probably used too strong of a word for what I was trying to convey, hence our argument.

Quote:
You can have an opinion. You're just not completely sure what it is. I'm pretty sure you aren't totally stupid but I can still call you an idiot. Just the same as you can call me one.
I was actually trying to put more emphasis on the "I'll rip your lungs out" than the don't call me an idiot part. To be honest, I don't care if you call me an idiot, and I won't hesitate to call you an idiot if I feel it's necessary.

All I was really trying to say in the first place was, "If they ever end up remaking Chrono Trigger, or making a re-release of it, I hope they don't make excessive/unnecessary changes to the script or item names."
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 04:01 AM       
Quote:
"Call me a treasure hunter or I'll rip your lungs out!" and replacing it with, "How rude!"
I just want to quote this one thing cause Locke is a fag.

I think being able to play a remake that is better written and that actually plays as good as FFIII on the SNES is more important. That's all I guess. Maybe we agree?

Anyway, I'm done with this. Why'd I bother?

Level 29 ♂
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM       
I'm curious why it went this far at all
Level 29 ♂
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM       
By the way, in the PS1 release, they didn't mess with the script, or anything else. They just slapped it onto a PS1 disc and for some reason it took 20 minutes to load a battle on a 16 bit game.
Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM       
Oh, OK. Maybe I was high or something when I played it. Whatever.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM       
Quote:
I'm curious why it went this far at all
I don't know. I just felt like bitching for some reason.