Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM        Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
I'd have made this thread days ago, but I was too busy playing the game.

It is frigging great. Nearly everything that was wrong about Lament of Innocence has been fixed or at least retooled.

Combat is way better than in LoI. Probably because you have more than just the whip at your disposal. There are five main categories of weapons (swords, axes, spears, unarmed, and special) and there are several different types of weapons in each category. Each type, like rapiers, broadswords, two-handed axes, etc. has different attack patterns, although they all sort of mimic the Dynasty Warriors system, meaning you can button mash one button, or use the second one to end the combo with a fancy maneuver.

The game has a weapon-crafting system like in Dawn of Sorrow, only with actual materials instead of souls. Although you do get the materials from monsters, so I guess it really is the same when you think about it. Once you get a new material, the list is updated, and you can bang out a new mystery item, whether it be a powerful new spear or an attractive cowboy hat.

You can also steal in this game. You lock onto the enemy, and at a certain point (which varies from one enemy to the next) you can grab whatever item they have, from gold to some of the rarer materials.

The Innocent Devils are pretty nifty, too. They level up and gain new abilities, and you can make them evolve into better creatures by gathering up a number of crystals, the type of which is determined by what weapon you use to kill the enemy.

As far as negatives go, though, I suppose the lock-on camera can be frustrating. As opposed to the fixed camera in LoI, the camera in CoD follows Hector, and you can lock onto single enemies for easier combat, or because you want to steal from them. The problem is that if you're in a narrow room, the camera can get hung up on the walls. Plus, if you're close, the camera may not shift to show the locked-on enemy until they completely leave your field of vision, and so you may wind up trying to beat up some monster who's half-on and half-off the screen, only to move a couple steps back and have the camera swing around to an even more awkward position.

Also, there's the voice acting. It's pretty uneven, with some good and some horrendous, but the good news of that it that the game is dual audio, so you can switch to the Japanese overacting once you get tired of the English overacting.

I frigging love this game. Back when Lament of Innocence came out, I was still skeptical as to whether or not the series could really make a good transition to 3D, but now, I'm positive that it can.

Finally, here's a few brief reasons to check this game out in case you didn't want to read the long-ass text above, in no particular order:

1. Trevor Belmont
2. Mysterious, Chojin-like villain
3. Break-dancing
4. Unarmed combat
5. Electric guitar
6. Secret chairs
7. Legion :o

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM       
Secret Chairs... for secret sitting?
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM       
And secret chair explanations.

Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM       
hmm, diddnt like the other ps2 one (not fond of any of the 3d castleanias) bt i might give this a go, if its a patch on SOTN or DOS it should be good tho

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM        Re: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
2. Mysterious, Chojin-like villain
I demand pictures of this villain
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM       
There are a lot of great pics I wish I could get. Rog said he uses some device to grab screenshots off his DVD players for his movie reviews, but I don't know if that would work with a PS2 or not.

Edit: but here's a link to a picture of Isaac. I'd have posted the pic, but it would mess up the page alignment:

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev...guy-render.jpg

Level 29 ♂
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM       
Looks like somebody's got a halloween costume for next year.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM       
The concept art made it look like his pants were about to fall off.

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev.../CoD/isaac.jpg

Edit: turned it into a link to fix alignment.

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:04 PM        Re: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
So, SoI was a renter, no doubt about it. Any opinions from those who've played - is this one a buyer or another renter?
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM       
Well I say buy it. It has a lot more going for it than LoS, what with the different weapons and more varied combat/great emphasis on exploration and all.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM       
He's like a male version of Poison Ivy. I totally loved LoI, so this has gotta be good if you didn't like LoI and say this is a major improvement. Legion is my all-time favorite CV boss, too, so i can't wait to deal with him :O
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM       
Yeah, I was hoping you'd see this thread.

The Legion fight is very cool. And with a good lead-in, too.

Also, I think you might get to play as Trevor once you beat the game. Maybe. I hope so, though, because you fight him a couple times in the game, and he makes Leon look like a slouch with that whip.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM       
How's the difficulty level, anyway? Do you get to unlock a super hard mode? God i hope so :O

I hope there's a good hidden boss, too, because The Forgotten One was pretty memorable, and hell of tough with Joachim. I would kill to play as Trevor, too.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
The concept art made it look like his pants were about to fall off.

http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev.../CoD/isaac.jpg

Edit: turned it into a link to fix alignment.
It looks like there won't be much left of whoever he's going to rape
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:23 AM       
Difficulty isn't too great for a while, particularly because the first ID you get can heal you (with adequate hearts). The battle with Legion was rough, and there is one small area in particular that I have not yet been able to go through without dying.

Difficulty increases a little when you're trying to steal from every enemy, particularly the bosses.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM       
the stealing does sound super-neat :O

Have you gotten a hold of Dawn of Sorrow yet? i haven't been able to find the rom for it o .o
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
Have you gotten a hold of Dawn of Sorrow yet? i haven't been able to find the rom for it o .o
buy it you FOOL! buy it NOW! (not that im anti-piracy or anything, its just worth buying)

Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM       
I got the game itself, yeah. It's a good'un too, despite the crappy character designs. Plus, they put in something extra with the "play as Julius" mode.
Level 29 ♂
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM       
Holy shit, you can steal? That's the only reason I played FFTA more than once.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:38 AM       
stealing is nothing more than a pain in the ass for me. the game seems very short, i think i am almost at the end after about 10 hours of play. granted there are alot of secrets, but i just dont care. I might lvl up my 2nd generation ids before i fight the end guys.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM       
Well there you go. It's a game really directed towards winning over Castlevania fans. The kind of people who like to scour the landscape looking for little secrets, maybe not to complete the map, but just to find a neat little item. The kind of people who aren't put off when they perform a weapon combination and the result is a frying pan or a squeaky hammer.

My big problem with the stealing is that often, you just wind up stealing a small amount of gold, and the shop where you spend said gold is essentially worthless, as it doesn't carry anything but the basic items. It'd be nice if it sold materials or something, but that's not the case. She'll buy materials from you, but selling them? Nope.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM       
totally. and I can seem to find any new matrerials without waiting for 5 mintues to get an enemy in a steal position. that sucks because I want something other than the damn war hammer
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:27 PM       
I think what they were trying to do is make difficult to steal from enemies only give gold so that you wouldn't have to worry about getting a super rare material from them repeatedly. It's a nice thought, but you really should be better rewarded for the effort.

I've also stolen some interesting stuff from bosses (pizza and sushi for example, but also materials), but I haven't found any weapons to make with them, with one exception. Then again, I haven't explored all the map/stolen from everyone. The map part I'm working on, but I think I'll wait for an FAQ before I spend too much time stealing.
Rosenstern is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:27 AM       
Sorry for bumping this thread back up, but I must have missed it somehow before. Anyway, how's the music?
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:22 AM       
I like it a lot. I actually preordered it to get the music sampler. It will definitely appeal to fans of past Castlevania music.