Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:51 AM        Kobe Bryant wears ladies underwear
This is an important issue. I think we should discuss it.

His wife is perty.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:30 AM       
I'm sick and fucking tired of seeing his name popping up in the news all the time.

Does anybody out there actually care about this?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:52 AM       
There was one thing that stuck in my craw as I was listening to a radio call-in show about the subject. Some guy called in and said (I'm paraphrasing here), " I don't believe it. Why would a guy who has as much money as Cobey and is good looking have to rape a woman? I think she's just after the money." I don't know if he's guilty or not but the fact that he's rich and good looking has nothing to do with it. When are people going to realize that rape has not so much to do with having the opportunity and advantages as it has to do with someone's sick idea of having power and/or dominance over women? That guy's way of thinking gets on my last nerve! Rant over ... just my $.02.

Wherever you go, there you are.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:56 AM       
MAYBE YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR TWO CENTS AND GO BUY A STICK OF GUM, PREFERABLY ONE THAT'LL CLOSE YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

...I've always wanted to say that. But you're right, kellychaos.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:09 AM       
The thing is, its really hard to prove. He admitted to having sex with her, but that it was consentual.

She has to prove it was forced. From what I have heard, she has no bruises or anything and the room wasn't torn up (except for the bed where all the hot, sweaty, jungle luvin' took place).

A lot of the staff also said that she was seen with him a lot.

It is her word against his, basically.

As for the adultary thing. He needs to be punished. I think he should have to watch the tape of me nailing his wife.
Mocker
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
As for the adultary thing. He needs to be punished. I think he should have to watch the tape of me nailing his wife.
A DJ on K-ROCK NY said the same thing yesterday, and then sent "closer" by Nine Inch Nails out to her.
Mocker
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:03 PM       
Maze. I'll admit, I stole that joke.

But, I will still happily nail her. She is a total bisquit.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 04:11 AM       
I am beginning to dislike the free reign of our media's Free Speech protection -At least when they become willing and able to potentially ruin a man's life. He may be completely innocent of anything more than a consensual affair -Yet tried publically in this manner, many may come to believe he is guilty regardless of the verdict passed. OJ is the prime example of what happens when a trial turns into a gamut.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:41 AM        Hard
Its difficult for me to imagine that under any circumstances they could find an impartial jury.
Mocker

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
I am beginning to dislike the free reign of our media's Free Speech protection -At least when they become willing and able to potentially ruin a man's life.
Hey! Something we agree on. The media is bound by protective laws to keep the name of the victime private at least until the trial where the alleged have a constitutional right to know their accuser. Why can't the same protections be afforded the accused? In the case of rape or sex abuse he/she is going to have to live with the stigma for the remainder of their lives whether they're proven guilty or not.

Side note: Just my opinion but anyone who settles out of court for child molestation charges like Micheal Jackson is GUILTY. Who wouldn't want a trial to prove their innocence in a matter like that?

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:55 AM       
Who's Kobe Bryant?

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:13 AM       
The media is famous for plastering the headlines with accusations, but when it is found out that they are innocent, then the retraction is relegated to a back page somewhere.
Mocker

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM       
Are you being obtuse, Max ... again? :/

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM       
Nah... I'm just saying crap like this is bread and circuses.

I mean, it's very important for the people immidiately involved, but beyond that, this is hardly a story.
Mocker

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM       
The particulars don't really interest me so much as the rights of the accused in things like this. Kobe Bryant as a person? Even though I could really care less for him in particular (not a big basketball fan and what does one player more or less, no matter their ability, mean to me), I'm kind of hoping that he's innocent because somehow the idea of a money-hungry, conniving bitch in the world seems a little evil than one more violent sex offender ... it's a karma thing, ya know.

Mocker
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:16 PM       
Actually Max, I raised that point when I first heard of this, and recieved a convoluted explanation about American Royalty (all celebrities in general) and the voyeurism of the American Public in all things concerning them. I thought the theory was utter tripe, but I'm unable to offer anything better myself.

I mean really, Anne Nicole Smith is talentless, tepid, unintelligent and ugly yet because her name is well known, she has a nightly Tee Vee show. As much as I hate acknowledging it, there might actually be something to the American Royalty postulation.
Mocker
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:23 PM       
You know what bugs me about that Ror? There is no rhyme or reason to being famous anymore.

Who was it that complained lately?

He said something like, "You used to be famous for being special, now you are special for being famous."

I watched the Anna Nichol show once because my friend said it was funny.

Now, I am pretty fucked up individual. I laugh and make jokes about some pretty messed up shit. This, however, made me depressed. Who the hell keeps taping this? Its sadism at its worst. Instead of shoving a camera in her face, why not help her or something? She is a train-wreck of a human being. This is the farthest thing from entertainment on TV.

I'm looking forward to televised executions to take some of the focus off this.
Mocker
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:51 PM       
I totally agree Blanco. I really don't know enough about how such things work out, whether it is ingenius PR reps or simply a desperate public, to lay any blame, but I'm not exactly blind to the affects. For what its worth, I cannot imagine things getting much worse.

Yeah, the Anne Nicole show is really kind of sad. It's as though she knows her existance is void and uses the show to create an illusion to keep others from noticing. I've only caught it a few times, and generally never watch for more than a few minutes, but her topics seem centered on her sex life (richly non-existant, save for relations with her Lawyer and Assistant [see how long that lasts when she's broke]) and shopping (this depressed me because they showed her buying her clothes at Walmart and JC Penny [judging by the background posters and signs]). When her Assistant's birhtday came around she bought her a car, in the typical Hollywood fashion, but she got it from a used car lot.

I cannot help but wonder if she is really that cheap, or if her life has broken down to this point, and she is simply trying to keep up pretenses. The pathetic displays are tragic, really, and I feel a morbid fascination creep over me whenever I happen to channel surf past her show. It's like watching someone self-destruct for even the smallest hope of attention.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
You know what bugs me about that Ror? There is no rhyme or reason to being famous anymore.

Who was it that complained lately?

He said something like, "You used to be famous for being special, now you are special for being famous."

I watched the Anna Nichol show once because my friend said it was funny.

Now, I am pretty fucked up individual. I laugh and make jokes about some pretty messed up shit. This, however, made me depressed. Who the hell keeps taping this? Its sadism at its worst. Instead of shoving a camera in her face, why not help her or something? She is a train-wreck of a human being. This is the farthest thing from entertainment on TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
I totally agree Blanco. I really don't know enough about how such things work out, whether it is ingenius PR reps or simply a desperate public, to lay any blame, but I'm not exactly blind to the affects. For what its worth, I cannot imagine things getting much worse.

Yeah, the Anne Nicole show is really kind of sad. It's as though she knows her existance is void and uses the show to create an illusion to keep others from noticing. I've only caught it a few times, and generally never watch for more than a few minutes, but her topics seem centered on her sex life (richly non-existant, save for relations with her Lawyer and Assistant [see how long that lasts when she's broke]) and shopping (this depressed me because they showed her buying her clothes at Walmart and JC Penny [judging by the background posters and signs]). When her Assistant's birhtday came around she bought her a car, in the typical Hollywood fashion, but she got it from a used car lot.

I cannot help but wonder if she is really that cheap, or if her life has broken down to this point, and she is simply trying to keep up pretenses. The pathetic displays are tragic, really, and I feel a morbid fascination creep over me whenever I happen to channel surf past her show. It's like watching someone self-destruct for even the smallest hope of attention.
What we're seeing now is people who are famous for being famous. Andy Warhol predicted this forty years ago when he said that "In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes". The idea being you can be famous for doing something unredeeming or completely ridiculous, or famous for being associated with someone or something famous, or in the case of The Hilton Sisters, famous for being famous.

Warhol predicted another thing in his work, the idea that people would watch things for pure voyeurism, as one could witness in his early films, which I haven't seen. In The Chelsea Girls, one of his "starlets" (his starlets were usually Black Sheep from Blue Blood families, like Edie Sedgwick and Brigid Berlin) shot speed right in front of the camera. Most people who have seen these films say that they anticipated most Reality TV shows today.

I try to avoid this stuff as much as possibly, but occasionally, the pull of this show or that show is too much. I must agree with Ror and Blanco that The Anna Nicole Show is pretty sad to watch.

I don't see an end in sight, unless there's some kind of nuclear holocaust.

Pantaliamon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:44 PM       
Wha whaaa?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:06 AM       
Oh, I'm not saying I don't like a really good celebrity bloodletting. I just don't give a crap about THIS really good celebrity bloddletting.

And I have to say, it's going to take attention away from the disapointing coverage the Robert Blake Celebrity Bloodletting, which I personlly think is a far more lurid and entertaining celebrity bloodletting.
Mocker
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM       
Nowadays, I don't think Robert Blake is what you would call "camera friendly", if you get my drift.

I just can't get into the whole celebrity hype.

I'm not that big a basketball fan, I just happen to think Kobe's got mad skillz yo, so the case interests me a little.

I didn't give a damn about OJ or Blake. Or Ray Caruth or Ray Lewis (until he raped the giants in that superbowl).

My whole relationship with celebrities goes: I'll pay to see you run fast, throw far, or jump high. I'll pay to see you act or hear you sing. You give me a good performance and we go our seperate ways.

I don't care about their personal lives. I'm to busy trying to get one of my own.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:22 PM        Damn
Quote:
I don't care about their personal lives. I'm to busy trying to get one of my own.
Best statement ever.
Mocker
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM       
No, no, no.....you guys misunderstood. I wasn't expecting a serious conversation about Kobe Bryant, because, uh, nobody really cares about this shit, right? I mean, innocent women get raped every day, and celebrities cheat on their wives every day, so why discuss it...? Am I right? ......?

I was hoping this thread would be a humorous discussion about Kobe Bryant, maybe some black jokes would get thrown out there, more comments about his wife, maybe some pictures provided by Chojin presenting Bryant in silly situations. This was my dream.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:46 PM       
There isn't much to talk about. It's just some woman who's trying to take advantage of the situation and get some money.