Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM        SEASONAL GAMES (NO, NOT CHRISTMAS GAMES)
So last week I all of a sudden got a real need to play Earthbound (for some reason the Onett tune got in my head while I was on a bus now I'm compelled to play it, and no, I didn't see the Mother Zero thread, honest!) so I looked through my computer and I could of sworn I had the rom, so I sorted my unzipped folders by date and sure enough it was like the third oldest folder there along with ZSNES. So anyway, wouldn't you know it the date on the folder is March 11th, 2006!

I realized this is very common with me when I thought about it. Back in my high school daze I use to always play all six Megamans in August before I went back to school (Yes, we owned them all.) I would usually just beat all the main robot masters and then move on the the next game. This ended when a flood destroyed almost all my NES games, but then when I got the internet and all and learned about the magic of roms (which was the summer of 2002 I WAS A LATE BLOOMER WITH THE INTERNET) I ended up playing them again in the summertime. I stopped doing this last year simply because I was too busy last summer to play six games in a row. And frankly, I can't stand the sight of a Megaman game anymore.

I also always play the original Ducktales for NES in the summer (I still do) along with Quackshot for Genesis. I'm sure there are other trends that I can't think of right now. I tend to play Mario 3 (one of the only NES games I have that still work) every year but I don't know when.

What about you? Do you have games that you are compelled to play at a certain time of year? What do you think about the United States? Are certain games made for certain seasons?

Random Annoyance
Zinger is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM       
Weird, I tend to go through a NES phase during the Summer, too. The main suspects being Mega-Man 1 and 2, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Super Mario Bros. 3.

Now I've got a Wii though so it's RETRO GAMES ALL YEAR FOR ME.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM       
This is a really good thread cause I always figured I was the only one that did this.

I play the haunting: starring polterguy for genesis every december around christmas time every year since I was 9 or 10. I really don't know why. I do the same for Home Alone but I guess that's more understandable. Also, I play crusader of centy every year in november for the past few years. I got a friend to play the rom around that time a few years back and I guess it just turned into a tradition for me :O

I play earthbound and final fantasy 3/6 most summers and I play zombies ate my neighbors at least once a year.

I feel like huge nerd for this but it's awesome for nostalgia.

That was very funny. Well done.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM       
Every winter I get an intense need to beat every FF I own, again, which is all of them.

Yeah.

Except FF7, which got stolen.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM       
I usually play old co-op games with my friend at least once a year. Mostly games such as The Punisher, Golden Axes and Alien Storm.

Sonic I-III are also games I find myself playing if I don't have anything better to do.

I also like to play Final Fantasies too, but knowing how long it takes to finish the game I usually try to avoid re-playing them. I'm still going to finish FF VII for the 7th time during this year and maybe FF V for the 3rd time :<
Seizure Cloud
Divisible by Waffle is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM       
My ritual is thus: I have to attempt to beat Battletoads at the start of every summer right after I'm done with finals and fail horribly. Then, when I'm done crying over the insane difficulty, I have to beat Pokemon Red with a new party combination. Yeah, I'm a dork.

I also have to play Katamari Damacy when it starts raining during summer. We Love Katamari is similar enough that it also works.
And the Norwegian died of laughter.
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM       
When it gets cold, I like to snuggle with Super Mario RPG.
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM       
i've played super mario rpg to death
Seizure Cloud
Divisible by Waffle is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM       
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...I have to beat Majora's Mask at the start of finals week, when I get sick of studying. Fucking finals.
And the Norwegian died of laughter.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM       
Right now I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 again. ;( I'm using an all-girl team with Angela as my main character. So far it's been a pain in the ass because I have two spellcasters and a mediocre fighter and high HP/magic defense characters fuck me hard.
dipshed
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM       
Just a reminder of what this thread is about, I don't care if you play a game more then once, everyone does that. I'm wondering about a pattern in time that you play it. That's interesting, I could care less you play Final Fantasty 23 5 times a year. Now if you play it every time there's a full moon, now that's something to talk about (and maybe something to consult a doctor about).

Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM       
just saying

winter's almost over and i'm nearing the end of my rpg rope here
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM       
I get the urge play Earthbound every Christmas-time since the first time I downloaded it. I believe I actually mention this every time I mention Earthbound (Mark I recall convincing you to play this unless I'm remembering something else )

All Zeldas are spring games to me, which is probably why I didn't get so into Twilight Princess in December. I haven't played it since I beat Goron Mines over a month ago, but I'm starting to get into the Zelda mood again

Chrono Trigger is an August game I have no idea why!
dipshed
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM       
I believe you did.

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:48 AM       
Usually some time in the summer, I like to give Far Cry another run. It was in the summer when I first got the game, and something about the warm, sunny days just reminds me of creeping through the jungle foliage and popping a squad of guys in the head with an MP5.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:00 AM       
You posting here reminds me that I loved Splatterhouse 3 on Halloween because the first year that my friends and I didn't go out, we stayed at my house and played that for a while.

taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM       
every time the holidyas are over i love to play manhunt maybe i need to release some violence

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM       
I return to Gauntlet: Legends if the first few weeks of the summer every year.
rockets redglare is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM       
I always play A Link to the Past in the fall. The scene where Link gets the Master sword always seemded like it took place in the fall. As for winter, I usually play Animaniacs (SNES) and Donkey Kong country, because I received them for Christmas.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM       
I don't seem to do this... I just play anything and everything whenever... Maybe there is a pattern but I'd have to be a genius to figure it out. Interesting thread though. I wish I could contribute.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
The Wolf
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM       
I think it mainly just has to do with fondly remembering a certain game being played at a certain time in the past. I know that's how my choices started. Haunting isn't a Christmas game, but I played it one year while my mom and sisters were setting up the Christmas tree and so I decided to keep doing that ever since I discovered roms.