Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:06 AM        My review of Passion of the Christ
The movie review site is not taking reviews right now, so untill it is I'd like to share with you my review of Passion of the Christ. It was so hard to write this thing, because I had so many ideas and jokes and stuff that I was trying to get in. It was pretty tough. I haven't even really read this myself. Please tell me what you like and what you don't like and what should be changed, etc.

Quote:
Why talk about this movie NOW? I know, It's so three-weeks-ago. And yeah, it's no longer number one at the box office (Who would see this over "Dawn of the Dead," anyway? I mean this only has ONE zombie and it's not untill the very end). But for me to leave it unreviewed would make me feel empty. The only reason I saw it was so I could review it; I was coming up with jokes for this review before I even saw one frame of this movie. Really, I just need them to not go to waste. So please, humor me. Pretend this is topical.

Also, it should be mentioned that there were some jokes that I came up with that were really kinda "you had to be there" jokes, that can't be worked into a movie-reviewing context. These jokes are listed below for your enjoyment:

1. The day before this movie opened, I was working usher, and my boss was all like "Where's the rope?" and somebody else was all like "What for?" and my boss was all "I need it for the lines of people for tommorow when 'Passion of the Christ' opens." So I said "Why don't you just use nails?" (NOTE: my boss didn't hear me and it was very disapointing).

2. While the movie was playing on it's opening weekend, Instead of exclaiming "Jesus Christ" (as in "Jesus Christ, it's cold outside!") I started saying "Passion of the Christ!" (NOTE: you gotta be topical, man)

3. While cleaning after movie-goers in the theater this movie was showing in, I picked up a half-full bottle of water, acted suprise and exclaimed "what the f-- there's wine in this!" (NOTE: I found out my boss made the same joke the day before that)

4. This guy walked into see "Passion," and he had a box of tissues with him. I turned to my friend, pointed to the man, and said "pervert." (NOTE: I stole this joke from my friend Willie)

5. While watching parts of the film in which Jesus was being whipped and beaten, I turned to my fellow co-worker (also watching the film) and whispered "freeeeeeeeee-dooooooooom!" in her ear (NOTE: That's from Braveheart)

And now the bad review!!

Passion of the Christ is a film about the last 12 hours of Jesus Christ. This film strives to show the truth of what happened objectively, putting the events into perspective. Jesus got beat and whipped in slow motion a lot, while opera music played. It's gives you a completely different frame of reference.

The film doesn't bother with much backstory; but it does ocassionally cut, or flash-back, to earlier parts of the story. It makes the film feel like the second part of a trillogy. I say trillogy because the ending completley feels like it's leaving it open for a sequal. Mel Gibson, mediocre film-maker extrodinaire, requires us to not only bring our own knowledge of the backstory, but also requires us to bring our own emotional attatchment to the characters. This makes Gibson's agenda very clear: The point of this movie isn't to teach about Jesus Christ. No, the point is to make Christians cry.

As indicated by the list of hilarious jokes at the top of this review, I work at a movie theater. And I witnessed many a people crying their eyes out at this movie. And to people like me, it's hysterical to watch! The only reason to see this movie is to watch the audience cry! The movie almost seems mean-spirited! It seems to revel in making the audience cry! Jesus gets beat up a lot, and you can hear everybody gasping and crying. Then, it'll stop for a while, but then it'll dramatically cut to what is no doubt going to be another brutal sequence that is going to be more awful than the first. It's almost as if the movie is going "You think that was bad... oh wait till you see this!" The movie invokes so much reaction from it's audience, that I'm convinced that this movie should become the next big audience partipation movie, like Rocky Horror. Or, better yet, it should employ William Castle-like gimmicks. A cry-baby corner where people who can't take it have to go to be mocked by other members of the audience, who have chosen to go on and endure the tears. A skeleton of jesus could jump out of a box and fly over the audience on a wire! Imagine the film cutting out in the middle, to hear "JESUS IS LOSE IN THE THEATER AND HE IS FORGIVING ALL YOUR SINS! WHEN YOU FEEL A TINGLE IN YOUR SPINE, YOU GOTTA SCREAM!!!"

Back to the crying, it's hilarious especially when you have to work as an usher. People will file out the theater, crying so loud. Imagine that going on, only moments after you and your surly friend have been cynically making fun of the movie, getting disaproving glares from elderly people who are coming from it, as if you're making fun of Jesus himself. People crying and sobbing in big group-hugs. And the best thing of all, is that they'll be loitering in the hallway, so we can insensitively walk up to them and tell them they have to get out of the hallway. So the'll shuffle out, still in group hug (remember the last episode of Mary Tyler Moore?), still crying. They can't do anything but cry. It's great!

The movie is absurdly violent. Jesus endures all kind of pain, proving that he's the original Jackass. Imagine Jesus being whipped with hooks by Steve-O, while Bam Margera looks on and laughs. Many critics say that if the movie weren't about Jesus, then it wouldn't have gotten an R rating. See, Tarintino shouldn't have cut "Kill Bill" into two films. He should have just made it be about Jesus!

The film contains many other absurdities: a hilariously dramatic, slow-motion coin-pouch being thrown across a room, a stupid centurion that almost seems like he's going to be a comic releif character, a joke about tables and chairs 'never catching on' (It's like the jokes from "The Wedding Singer"), and a gasp... it's one of those gasps that came off a sound effects record that you can point out is in so many other movies. My Jaw dropped to the ground at all these moments. How could these moments possibly exist in this film?

This movie is about Jesus, thus making the film pretty much critic-proof. What I mean by that it may get bad reviews, but because it's about Jesus, nobody is going to care. You can't get people to think objectivly about this film because there is too much emotional attachment. But there's something so... I don't know, evil about it. Not convinced yet? Mel Gibson, when asked about the bad reviews that the film has gotten, he said -- get this -- ...he forgives them.

Perhaps we should crucify Mel Gibson. Or better yet, we should hang him, the way Jesus should have gotten it. It would make a much better necklace. No, lets not do that to Mel. Afterall, he's going to make his next film, and it's going to be about one of the Jewish holidays. I forget which one. But I think I saw it the first time... WHEN IT WAS CALLED "INTOLERANCE!" HA!

If I go to hell, I'm sure Gibson is going to be the one who sends me there. I'm getting too old for this shit.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:37 AM       
the bible 2: jesus' revenge

jesus is on the loose again, he goes around college campuses and campgrounds killing horny teenages in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit of ass-kicking.

anyways, good review, i havent seen the movie yet but you havent spoiled the ending for me. a bit too many anicdotes for a movie review but funny all the same.

also, im also really sick of those generic noises you always hear in tv and movies, especialy those cat noises, there must be only 3 different tv/movie cat noises and they feel they must use them all when any cats are on screen /rant

Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM       
I remember a little while ago I kept hearing this same Children Laughing sound effect everywhere, and every time I pointed it out to someone and said "remember the last time I told you?" they'd have forgotten and wouldn't know what I was talking about. That drove me insane. It wasn't even that I kept hearing the same noise over and over again that it weirded me out, it was because it was such a demented, unrealistic doll-like laugh being dubbed over these normal kids without it matching their faces at all in every single case and still nobody noticed how fucked up it was.

Anyway, I liked the whole thing really, it just took a while to get into the actual movie. The dawn of the dead bit should (could) be meldted into the actual movie review like "I was relucant to see this at first because yada yada yada" because I liked the zombie line alot.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM       
There's a "guy screaming GEEEEEEAAAAAH as he's falling" sound effect out there that drives me nuts. I've heard it in at least twenty movies, but of course I can't remember any of them right now except Star Wars, Face/Off and A Chinese Torture Chamber Story (which used it four times within a one-and-a-half-minute sequence) . If you're curious, play Dark Forces (the old Star Wars FPS) and fall to your death.

I probably should have read Jixby's thing before replying, but I've got to run.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:56 AM       
Quote:
Imagine the film cutting out in the middle, to hear "JESUS IS LOSE IN THE THEATER AND HE IS FORGIVING ALL YOUR SINS! WHEN YOU FEEL A TINGLE IN YOUR SPINE, YOU GOTTA SCREAM!!!"
I love this part, becuase I can so imagine some guy in some horrible beard poppng up and everyone cheering.

that review was excellent, many hilarious parts.

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM       
i know that scream, its in Indiana Jones a lot too, plus like any goddamn action movie.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM       
Once again you've got some front-page material there, Jixbo.

huond is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:28 PM        Re: My review of Passion of the Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
5. While watching parts of the film in which Jesus was being whipped and beaten, I turned to my fellow co-worker (also watching the film) and whispered "freeeeeeeeee-dooooooooom!" in her ear (NOTE: That's from Braveheart)
Speaking of Braveheart Like two days ago one of the horrible rednecks I work with was like "Have you ever seen that Braveheart movie? That movie pissed me off! They killed him at the end! He was the main guy and they cut off his head!" I then explained that William Wallace was a real guy and he was like "oh."

I liked the review the first time....when it was called strip creator comics about passion of the christ
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:37 AM       
Thanks for the review but I don't believe in Jesus or that your boss is funny.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:47 PM       
That review is sort of funny. It would be funnier if I hadn't heard every single joke in that article 10,000 times. Come on lets be a little original...
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:57 PM       
so you herad this joke:

Quote:
A skeleton of jesus could jump out of a box and fly over the audience on a wire! Imagine the film cutting out in the middle, to hear "JESUS IS LOSE IN THE THEATER AND HE IS FORGIVING ALL YOUR SINS! WHEN YOU FEEL A TINGLE IN YOUR SPINE, YOU GOTTA SCREAM!!!"
ten thousand times, did you?

-willie
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM       
oh nevermind i forgot that you like Big O

-willie
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
Yeah, I've heard a lot of jokes about the Passion and none of them were the same as mine were.

Unless you are refering to my Strip Creator comics where I did use the same jokes. But why the fuck wouldn't I use them again? Just because 4 or 5 people from here already saw them?
aka Don Henley
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
so you herad this joke:

Quote:
A skeleton of jesus could jump out of a box and fly over the audience on a wire! Imagine the film cutting out in the middle, to hear "JESUS IS LOSE IN THE THEATER AND HE IS FORGIVING ALL YOUR SINS! WHEN YOU FEEL A TINGLE IN YOUR SPINE, YOU GOTTA SCREAM!!!"
ten thousand times, did you?

-willie
No, but I didn't think it was that funny either. But I like appreciating artwork, so my opinion doesn't matter...

But I've heard the Braveheart joke, the "Passion of Christ" instead of "jesus christ", and most of the other jokes. But not neccessarly under the same context. Every single comedian I've seen talk about this movie has had the same point of view with similar jokes.

It just seems like making fun of something that already has gotten way too much attention is pretty cliche. But I like appreciating artwork, so my opinion doesn't matter...
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM       
i agree this review is artwork!

huond is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:43 PM       
Before work today (6 am, so it was still infomercial time) there was some christian guy begging people to send money so they could send truck loads of food to the starving kids in america. He said if you send a certain amount you get a free copy of the book "Passion" which is "a book with ACTUAL PICTURES FROM THE MOVIE!"
Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM       
I remember when me and my group of sacreligious friends saw it. One of them dressed up as the pope and we walked in with cigarettes. Then we kept on yelling "TREATED" and "YOU GOT SERVED" as Jesus was getting his ass kicked. I also had a child safety alarm (in case you are unfamiliar, its a device where you pull a chain and it sends out a high pitches siren noise) which I pulled at the silent moments. There was this one Mexican chick that got the shit scared out of her when the demon popped out of the rocks to judas, we couldn't stop laughing and we got so many bad looks. But they're Evangelical Christians and are pussies and won't do shit. I did, however, like the wild west part of the movie where Jesus draws the line in the dirt...we were all like "There some new boys in town" , although its not that funny out of context.
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
OH GOD
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:24 PM       
Quote:
But I like appreciating artwork
Anime sucks as an art form.

-willie
aka Don Henley
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:26 AM       
Yeah, most of it does. But there are some anime artists with a little individual style. But yeah, most of it is generic BS.
OH GOD
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM       
wtf you're not supposed to be reasonable what kind of anime fan are you

-willie
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM       
Quote:
Perhaps we should crucify Mel Gibson. Or better yet, we should hang him, the way Jesus should have gotten it. It would make a much better necklace.
I don't think I've ever laughed any harder at anything else Jixby has ever said.

The impression I got from Passion?
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM       
Quote:
I remember when me and my group of sacreligious friends saw it. One of them dressed up as the pope and we walked in with cigarettes. Then we kept on yelling "TREATED" and "YOU GOT SERVED" as Jesus was getting his ass kicked. I also had a child safety alarm (in case you are unfamiliar, its a device where you pull a chain and it sends out a high pitches siren noise) which I pulled at the silent moments. There was this one Mexican chick that got the shit scared out of her when the demon popped out of the rocks to judas, we couldn't stop laughing and we got so many bad looks. But they're Evangelical Christians and are pussies and won't do shit. I did, however, like the wild west part of the movie where Jesus draws the line in the dirt...we were all like "There some new boys in town" , although its not that funny out of context.

this has to win for a prize of "Most stupid long winded comment of the century"
Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM       
LIEK, OMG NO
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?