Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:34 PM        Guess they didn't forget the leak after all
I admit I haven't followed this story lately, but there hadn't been anything new to report. I'm glad to see it hasn't been completely buried.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._ashcroft_dc_3

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) will step aside from the politically charged investigation into a leak related to the Iraq (news - web sites) war and the Justice Department (news - web sites) will name a special prosecutor, department officials said on Tuesday.

The officials gave few details, saying only that Ashcroft was stepping down from the investigation and it would now be headed by the U.S. Attorney in Chicago, Patrick Fitzgerald.

Further details are expected at a 2 p.m. news conference.

The Justice Department is conducting a criminal investigation into who had disclosed the identity of a CIA (news - web sites) officer whose husband had challenged President Bush (news - web sites)'s claims about Iraq's weapons threat.

Disclosing the identity of a clandestine intelligence officer is a federal crime as is leaking classified information to the media.

Democrats in Congress had demanded that Ashcroft, who was appointed by Bush to head the Justice Department, should step aside and name an outside counsel to run the probe.

The investigation stemmed from the disclosure in July that the wife of a former U.S. envoy in Iraq and Gabon, Joseph Wilson, was an undercover CIA officer specializing in weapons of mass destruction.

Wilson has charged that the Bush administration officials made public his wife's name in an act of revenge after he accused the White house of exaggerating the weapons threat from Iraq, Washington's main justification for going to war.

Wilson went to Niger early in 2002 at the CIA's request to assess a report that Iraq sought to buy uranium from Niger. Wilson found the allegation to be highly doubtful and the International Atomic Energy Agency later dismissed it as based on forged documents.

But the charge found its way into Bush's State of the Union speech in January as part of the U.S. case against Saddam Hussein (news - web sites). Only after Wilson went public did the White house admit Bush should not have included it, blaming the CIA.

The furor over the leak broke as Bush faced low approval ratings and growing political pressure over the continued killing and disorder in Iraq.

In addition, no weapons of mass destruction have been found by U.S. teams in Iraq since the war ended.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:30 PM       
Quote:
But the charge found its way into Bush's State of the Union speech in January as part of the U.S. case against Saddam Hussein (news - web sites). Only after Wilson went public did the White house admit Bush should not have included it, blaming the CIA.
I think they learned a lesson here and copped to the whole Haliburton debacle (overbidding) before some other impudent government malcontent came forward to besmirch the good name of our president.

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:34 PM       
My, my, a special prosecutor. I think if they could have made this story go away, they'd have done it by now. It was pretty much off the national radar. I think it coming back into the media now at a press conferene called by Ashcroft indicates there's some meat on this bone.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:00 PM       
What's the bigger evil here, the original person whose name is the objective of the probe and whose error only leaked to a relatively limited field of people or our president who blabbed the name to the whole country in a SOU speech and should know better? Cheese and crackers! You may as well put a bullet to her head. The fact of who originally revealed the name is irrelevant and pretty much academic as compared to what they did with the information afterwards. The action by the president is pretty much public domain and undeniable. They can't put that cat back in the bag and so have to deal with the issue. I believe that the husband pretty much forced the president's administration's hand on the issue and there's really nothing they can do with it being so public.

Wherever you go, there you are.