Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:53 AM        MY E3 COVERAGE (now with pics) :D
First things first. I almost didn't get in today. There I was, having traveled for two hours by train and subway, having this menopausal woman tell me that I wasn't appearing on their system. Two weeks before this, our company was DENIED E3 tickets because we didn't provide enough documentation this year. They actually started requiring payroll records and W-2s. After a huge argument, we were accepted, but it was too late to send badges, so we had to pick them up at will call. OK, fine. When I show up, our whole company showed up at first not in the system, then in the system, but denied. I luckily bumped into the president of the company I work for, and explained the situation. We went through this huge maze of bureaucracy for about an hour and a half, until I finally got my badge 5 minutes before opening. Christ.

I immediately made my first mistake my not heading for the Wii first. The line was 2 hours long, since Nintendo only had one Wii per game, while the PS3 had 4 or 8 depending on the game, and the 360 had about 2-4 per game. I cleared the Sony area in about an hour or so, with little waiting due to the abundance of consoles. I also saw some previews for games like FFXIII and MGS4, where Snake was shown as an old man that looked like he's giving a blowjob to a gun (see pics). I played Sonic at first, and was pretty amazed by the level of detail, at least physics-wise. The 360 version was pretty much the same. However, the PS3 game that blew me away the most was Heavenly Sword. You're stuck in an arena-type situation, and just the combos you do are so kick-ass...it really flows well and looks stunning. Of course, it's a demo, so it was pretty damn easy.

I played FFXII, which pretty much met my expectations. Not revolutionary, but pretty fun. Okami was there, which I've been following for about a year now. You play as this wolf goddess, Amaterasu, and have access to the celestial brush. You can turn the world into a piece of paper, draw on it, and see the changes made when done. Bridge out? Draw in the gap. Every pic I took of Square Enix games are technically not supposed to exist. I think one of them is extremely blurry because I was tapped on the shoulder by security in mid-capture and jumped :/

I moved on to the DS area, and played Brain Age. Kinda like those "What is your IQ" games. I kinda fumbled around with it on the stand, because it can be accomodated for lefties (the DS is played with screens on the left and right, so it can be flipped for lefties), but the stand it was on did NOT accomodate that. After much fumbling and almost dropping the whole thing, I just decided to hold it in my hands. That's when it told me I have the brain of a 40 year old, I'm 600 grams short of a brain, and I think like Michelangelo...and I came in last on a 4-player rapid fire arithmetic mode becuase of my neurotic habit of double checking answers. The puzzles were pretty tricky and fun, though.

The PSP had the same amount of interest for me as the DS area, which wasn't much. I had tons of fun playing Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo over and over again, but that was about it.

Then I walked around for a bit and got some free crap, and just took a look around. I played a few 360 games...I think it was Too Human and Gears of War. Both were pretty fun, but I'm not really too much a fan of those genres. I'll take a look again tomorrow for Dead Rising.

The line for Spore was an hour and a half, and I didn't go. Another thing on my to-do list for tomorrow.

Booth babes were banned this year

I'm going to post pics when I finally get them off my roommate's camera that I borrowed :/
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:19 AM       
Snake could give anything a blowjob and still be cool in my books.

Anyway, congrats on getting in, it's a shame us nobodies (i.e. vets) can't get in unless we're part of the industry

EDIT: Waitaminit, let me read that again... no booth babes?
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:05 AM       
More like "no scantily clad women"

There were some outside, and the women inside were dressed in lots of leather or shiny plastic, so, eh :/
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM       
I won't be there til next year. Sad too, this year's event has been pretty cool.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM       
How were the controls for the Sonic game?
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM       
gay. Like all other sonic shit that has come out in the past 5 years. its done..over
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:15 AM       
I played the Wii today, and had tons of fun :D

I didn't like how they made everyone wait, though. It was an hour wait to get in the Wii area alone, then more waiting to actually play some games. I played WarioWare first, since there was only like one person on that. It's more of a "Wii remote 101: HOW THE FUCK DO I USE THIS THING" type of game. I know WarioWare involves doing simple tasks in a short amount of time, but this was kinda ridiculous. They give you five seconds to have a guy on screen do a squat, and I barely got one in after 4 or 5 tries, so I don't know if it was me or the controller. They had cool names for all the ways to hold the remote like "The Umbrella" "The Dumbell" "The Waiter" "The Big Cheese" "The Samurai"...it goes on.

Then I waited a while to play Metroid Prime 3. This used the Nunchaku extension. In order to use the grappling hook, I had to "throw" the extension part forward, and pull it back. This took me several tries, but I think I got the hang of it. There were also a few occasions where if I had to drift the cursor off the screen to turn, and bringing the cursor back onto the screen would cause a misalignment between the cursor and the remote. I really REALLY hope they fix that. The demo itself was pretty good, more or less, but I haven't played any Metroids before this. I also got booted off about 3/4 of the way through the demo so someone from GameSpot could cut in line ;_;

I watched people play The Legend of Zelda and Mario Galaxy, which were both very impressive. The gameplay on both seemed easier to play than Metroid, but I didn't get a chance to actually play them. I noticed that every time enemies were damaged on both games (whenever Link hit someone with his sword or Mario hit a boss), it paused for a noticable fraction of a second. It got kind of annoying, but I don't think this will be a problem at launch, however.

I played Deadrising, and had tons of fun just destroying hordes of zombies. This photographer in game wanted me to take a picture of him kicking zombie ass, except he didn't do it whenever I was in camera mode. Plus, a there were already tons of zombies biting my neck. My breaking point was when the guy did this jumping roundhouse kick, and ended up hitting me in the face. So I picked up a large-ish metal bookshelf and went to town on him. The demo ended when I ended up being mobbed by zombies after killing my partner in crime. A perfect ending, since everyone laughed when I beat down the photographer.

I saw Spore being demonstrated. The wait was pretty short considering the size of the line. There wasn't too much new information...the creature editor looked more "complete" than the video from the last time it was shown. There's an encyclopedia of all the galaxies, solar systems, planets, and creatures you find, and they're in card form. They also have the original designers of each species on the cards, which lists stats on the race. These can be printed out for a card game (I'm starting to paraphrase here) which they plan to release(?) You can have buddy lists, which allows more of those people's content to be imported into your game.

The rest of the time, I just wandered around getting free crap and playing an occasional demo, having done everything I wanted to do. I looked at the video game art exhibit, got some posters, and almost walked into multiple interviews being filmed. I'm probably not going tomorrow since I have a midterm, but at least I've seen everything I wanted. I also visited the Bethesda booth to see if I could see my boss, but it was just a giant enclosed tower for press only. I couldn't even get a pamphlet, even after explaining that I'm working on one of the games being shown

Pics are coming soon, I swear
They turned out to be 2592 x 1944 and 2MB per pic. Multiply that by exactly 130. I'm zipping this up I type this, and I'll probably rapidshare it. Sorry I'll probably take some more pics later on of the free crap I got :/

So, reflecting back on the halls filled with smoke machines, bright lights, and the morbidly obese, I can say I had a really good time. I'm looking forward to a lot of these games coming out, and I hoped you people enjoyed reading about my experience :D
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:17 AM       
I thought you worked at Vons or something.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM       
Not anymore
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM       
what kind of free shit did you get?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM       
They didn't happen to mention the next Silent Hill, did they?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM       
What I want to know, is the Wii controller practical in exectution or it it some complicated gadget that will be hard to use?
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
They didn't happen to mention the next Silent Hill, did they?
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventur...ins/index.html
it's a prequel for the PSP so I'll probably never get to play it
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM       
Here's my opinion on the Wii controller:

It's going to take a lot of getting used to. This isn't like "Oops, I mixed up the A and B buttons " but you actually have to hold the remote at the screen, and aim it well. At first, you'll have to repeat certain movements over and over again to have them register on screen. After a lot of practice, though, you should be swinging that thing around like a pro. I don't know how much endurance you'll need to have while constantly having to point at the screen, but I guess it depends on whether you're sitting or standing, holding your arm out or just pointing with your wrist. The nunchaku extension is the same way in having it work with the remote at the same time. I believe that once people get used to the controller, it will work pretty well. So, steep learning curve, but you'll get used to it.

I'm guessing that if you want to learn how to use it well, WarioWare is perfect for learning the basics. It gives you a bunch of simple tasks, like slashing an object like a samurai, balancing objects on screen with the remote held in a "waiter" fashion, and making stabbing motions accurately, to name a few. I saw a demonstration of its velocity-sensitivity, so it would be interesting to see how they work that into games.

I'll take some pics of my free shit and add them in when I get around to it. I had to juggle two midterms, a paper, and another assignment during E3
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM       
You work at Bethesda? They're like 30 minutes from when I'm moving to.
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:58 AM       
Well, Bethesda is the publisher and the owner of the booth. I work at Quicksilver Software, the developer (located about 5 minutes away from Blizzard ).
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:06 AM       
What do ya do there?
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM       
I implement the missions in the game we're working on. I'm given the dialogue of the mission as well as a few design documents, and make it happen. I have to specify what models to use, as well as set locations and triggers that activate certain events based on the conditions I set. It gets a little repetitive after a while, but it's nice.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:30 AM       
PICS FINALLY OK

http://rapidshare.de/files/20701681/E3_1.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/20705086/E3_2.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/20709107/E3_3.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/20709987/E3_4.zip.html

Edit: The camera I used ran out of batteries on day 2, so there aren't too many pics from there
sorry
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM       
You're our inside man. Those pictures were good. Your friend had a very high quality camera. I just downloaded the first set and I'm moving onto the second later.