Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:09 PM        Enough Of The Bad, How About The Good?
I must admit, I kinda thought ROM hacks would always, ALWAYS have a negative stigma attached to them...

Especially since my very first trip to I-Mockery years ago was brought about through the ROM Hack Reviews portion of the site.

However, despite the bad reputation most ROM hacks get (and deservedly so), I've actually managed to find a few true winners.

Chief amongst these:

-Super Metroid Redesign. A ROM hacker took everything you knew about Metroid and threw it away. Actually, this one plays like a super-advanced Metroid 1. Despite how maddening it was to complete this game, I actually find that now that I've done the hard part and found everything, it was actually very enjoyable. The plusses are new items, a whole new Super Metroid, a long ass game, areas all doubled in size, and improved physics. Cons are that it's fucking impossible without some sort of walkthrough, and the new physics are like hemorrhoids: maddening at first but you kinda get used to them.

-Super Mario Adventure. A ROM hack of Super Mario Bros. 3. This one plays sorta like Mario World in that you have a spare item box, and you can use the SHOE in any level! The hacker also took the time to change the powerups, and although Magic Mario sounds kinda gay, it's a decent powerup. He also seems to have added hidden keys that actually give this thing some replay value.

-Zelda Challenge:Outlands. Basically like a third quest for the original Legend of Zelda. It's designed really well and I got a lot of enjoyment and nostalgia out of it, a lot like playing the original version so many years ago.

- Super Demo World: The Legend Continues. Basically took everything about Super Mario World and made it much better (although MUCH more frustrating, but not "I need emulator savestates constantly" so.)

Haha, sorry, I don't mean to sound fanboyish, but for all the shit out there, it's nice to find some completely hacked games that actually manage to IMPROVE upon the original, rather than merely giving Mario a girthful member in which to shoot cumballs at Goombas with.

And since some of these are kinda rare, I'll even trade some of them with you other DECENT ROM hack players out there, if you want (of course, if PMs have some sort of attachment option...if not I guess I'll just suck it up and email them to anyone interested.) Just because I'm an old schooler and I do appreciate a well done rom hack for the old school appeal.

And no, I'm not talking about "IMPOSSIBLE MARIO WORLD" and the like... Impossible-without-savestate hacks are bullshit.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM       
Yeah, there are quite a few good Hacks out there. I found one where they hacked Sonic 1 so instead of sonic, you play as that pink female hedgehog ( i forget the name). Its not much, but it looks damn good.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:04 AM       
Thanks for making me use google.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM       
the super metroid one is shit