Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM        Miami plans "Castro is dead" party (time TBD)
C'mon, all the Cuban refugees there, you had to see it coming.

The city of Miami is planning an official celebration at the Orange Bowl whenever Cuban president Fidel Castro dies.

Discussions by a committee appointed earlier this month by the city commission to plan the event have even covered issues such as a theme to be printed on T-shirts, what musicians would perform, the cost and how long the celebration would last.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/trb.new...;ord=79183111?

Such a gathering has long been part of the city's plan for Castro's death, but firming up the specifics has been more urgent since Castro became ill last summer and turned over power to his brother, Raul.

City Commissioner Tomas Regalado, a Cuban American, came up with the idea of using the Orange Bowl, noting that the stadium was the site of a speech by President Kennedy in 1961 promising a free Cuba, and that in the 1980s it served as a camp for refugees from the Mariel boatlift from Cuba.

"Basically, the only thing we're trying to do is have a venue, a giant venue ready for people, if they wish, to speak to the media, to show their emotions. It's not that we're doing an official death party," Regalado said Monday.

Former state Rep. Luis Morse stressed the need for an uplifting theme for the party -- one not preoccupied with a human being's passing.

Critics have accused the city of dictating where people should party, with many preferring to celebrate on the streets of Little Havana. The city says the Orange Bowl celebration would not preclude that.

"This is not a mandatory site," Regalado said of the Orange Bowl. "Just a place for people to gather."

Ramon Saul Sanchez, leader of the Miami-based Democracy Movement organization, worries about how a party to celebrate a man's death would be perceived by people outside the Cuban exile community.

Sanchez also pointed out that, even after Castro dies, his communist government still will be in place.

"The notion of a big party, I think, should be removed from all this," Sanchez said. "Although everybody will be very happy that the dictator cannot continue to oppress us himself, I think everybody is still very sad because there are still prisons full of prisoners, many people executed, and families divided."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Yeah he has some issues, but if my Saddam death celebration thread gets mocked then the successor to murderer/revolutionary Che Guevara will probabley have people missing him too. But not me. I think he's a dick and hope he rots. But maybe I'm tainted by all my illegal Cuban friends.

I'll probably Ebay a shirt just to piss off the preppy white kids wearing Che t-shirts knowing nothing of his crimes and the crap government he set up. I was rather pleased when Saddam, and Arafat died too. Call me a deathworshipping redneck if you must (though I'm am niether) But some people deserve to die and it's a happy time when we are rid of them, Hitler, Mao, Jar Jar Binks.

hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:21 AM       
I wouldn't go partying just yet, theres no such thing as a drastic change for a better society anymore. Cuba will become even more rouge, poverty stricken, and aligned with communist North Korea.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM       
Most likely his brother will take power and that will make it worse. It's sad really.

If you die in real life you die in I-mockery.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM       
what is this advertising local links crap
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM       
I think it's hilarious that when other countries celebrate 9/11 and our soldiers dying it's INTOLERABLE but when we throw massive official parties in celebration of their leaders' deaths, it's totally cool.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM       
While I think that's kind of a fair point, I also believe there is a slight difference.

I think there's a slight difference between celebrating the deaths of 3,00+ innocent people, and celebrating the NATURAL demise of a dictator. I think the Cubans who are planning this celebration have a bit of a stake in Cuba's future.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:38 AM       
That's like the difference between throwing a party over someone's death and throwing a party over someone's death and providing free kazoos.
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM       
Not really, but ok.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM       
I just want some good cigars and coffee, man.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM       
COO-ba
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM       
There's a difference between celebrating a death and celebrating a murder.