Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:16 PM        Endangered Species Act (UPDATED!)
(the bold emphasis is my own)
Source: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0521-09.htm
Published on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 by OneWorld.net
Defense Spending Bill Attacks Wildlife Protection
by J.R.Pegg, Environmental News Service

WASHINGTON - The House version of the 2004 military budget contains provisions that critics believe will gut the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Rather than just exempt the military from the two laws as requested by the Bush administration, House Republicans have included exemptions that could apply to other federal agencies and private industry.

"This has turned into industry gang warfare on the nation's two leading conservation laws under the guise of military readiness," said Phillip Clapp, president of the National Environmental Trust.

The provisions are "irresponsible," said U.S. Representative Ellen Tauscher, a California Democrat.

Congressional Republicans and the administration, Tauscher said today in a teleconference with reporters, are using "our military victories and the goodwill they have accrued to try to roll back these very important environmental protections."

In its budget proposal to Congress, the Bush administration asked for broad exemptions from five major environmental laws, which officials say are compromising the military's training and readiness.

Exemptions from hazardous waste laws and the Clean Air Act were stripped from the military spending bill, but the provisions to exempt the military from the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) were rewritten and expanded by the House Resources Committee.

The bill changes the ESA by eliminating the requirement to designate critical habitat on all federal lands--the military had asked just for exemption on lands it controls.

It requires that only critical habitat deemed "necessary" be designated but fails to define "necessary," leaving the protection of critical habitat to the discretion of the Secretaries of Interior and Commerce.

This cuts out the heart of the ESA, environmentalists say, and leaves decisions about when and where to designate critical habitat solely in the hands of political appointees.
Critical habitat is "the only provision in the act that proactively protects habitat," said Bill Snape, chief counsel with Defenders of Wildlife and chairman of the Endangered Species Coalition.

Habitat degradation is the number one reason for species decline--some 85 percent of species currently listed on the ESA are in decline because of habitat loss.

In addition, the bill eliminates the designation under the ESA of any critical habitat on all lands "owned or controlled" by the military where the Defense Department has established its own Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan, even though the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has shown this type of plan is inadequate for the protection of endangered species.

This could affect some 25 millions acres nationwide, including crucial habitat for more than 300 species now on the brink of extinction.

"These changes represent a major attack at the core of the act," Clapp said.

The bill makes three broad changes to the MMPA, including a provision that allows the Department of Defense to grant itself categorical exemptions from the law.

It revises the current definition of "harassment"--not just for the military, but for all ocean users.

Environmentalists fear this will allow projects, such as oil and gas exploration and high intensity sonar testing, to escape analysis by wildlife agencies, public comment, monitoring, and mitigation.

The MMPA's provision to protect marine mammals from harassment is "one the cornerstones of the Act," explains Naomi Rose, a marine mammal scientist with the Humane Society.

The existing definition is "very precautionary and very protective," Rose said, but the bill turns this definition on its head.

The bill removes the current requirement of MMPA's permitting process that requires any injuring or killing of marine mammals be limited to "small numbers" in a "specific geographical region."

"There is simply no need for such broad exemptions from the law," said Congressman Tom Allen, a Maine Democrat.

Critics of these exemptions say supporters have no evidence that even the military needs exemption from these laws.

Both the ESA and the MMPA have case by case exemptions for national security and a recent General Accounting Office report found that the Pentagon had failed to show any evidence that environmental laws had compromised military readiness.

A host of state officials have criticized the administration's plan, which they believe abdicates the federal government from important conservation measures and shifts a greater burden onto states and local governments.

"For the Department of Defense, this is simply a matter of convenience--they do not want to be bothered," Allen said. "The military has never said there has been a problem with readiness because of an environmental law and it looks and it feels like they are making this up for their own convenience."

The lack of empirical evidence that the military needs exemptions from environmental laws has prompted "DOD political appointees to aggressively distort facts to try and make their case," Snape said.

He cited false information given to Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, about the impact protection for Sonoran pronghorn was alleged to have had on military training.

McCain said in a Senate hearing that 40 percent of flyovers at overflights at the Barry Goldwater range had been cancelled or postponed because of Sonoran Pronghorn conservation efforts. The real number is six percent, Snape said, and McCain has asked a commission to investigate.

"They are constantly pushing the factual envelope trying to make their case because when the facts speak for themselves, they are not left with much," Snape said.

Critics point to an amendment added to the bill by Arizona Representative Rick Renzi, a Republican, as evidence that the bill's supporters are simply pushing an ideological and political agenda.

Renzi's provision gives the military an exemption from any responsibility for ground water pumping around Arizona's Fort Huachuca. Environmentalists say this will be devastating for the adjacent San Pedro River and its watershed, considered by many to be one of the the most biologically diverse ecosystems on Earth.

"This would kill the last living river in an American desert," Snape explained. "It has nothing to do with DOD readiness."

House Democrats are preparing several amendments to revoke the broad exemptions to the MMPA and the ESA contained in the bill, but Tauscher acknowledged she and some of her colleagues are looking to the Senate to help eliminate these provisions.

The current Senate version of the bill only exempts the military from the ESA.

If House Republicans believed the American public supported their broad revisions to the ESA and the MMPA, Tauscher said, they would not have slipped them into the $400 billion defense spending bill.

"We need to stop this pernicious attack on our environment at a time when we have many other things that we should be doing," Tauscher said.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM       
Want to bet a professional lobbyist (as opposed to an actual elected legislator or their staff) crafted the language for that bill? I'd put good money on the table.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM       
If anyone wants to send an e-mail to their congressperson telling them they aren't happy with this, go here. Just fill in the appropriate slots.
http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/dod?source=an2

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:20 PM        Oh damn it....
You know I always feel obligated to stick up once in a while here!

For the record, and the article touches on it pretty well, I'd like to point out again that this did not come from within the military. I have worked in or near locations that contained a significant amount of wildlife, including Camp Pendleton and my experience has been that they do a very good job of abiding by those laws. It's a shame that someone has attempted to take it a step farther for the own benefit because ultimately it will appear as if it's being driven by the military types when clearly that's not the case.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:50 PM       
I agree, Gasux. The military's initial proposal was somewhat reasonable. Sometimes wildlife can interfere with training excercises, and I think that exemptions should be made-but only in very specific circumstances.

Old May 30th, 2003, 12:18 AM        One step farther....
Quite honestly, I would be willing to bet that each year half the proposed budget increases are for things the service chiefs never asked for.

You see, Sen X. doesn't so much care about whether the Air Force really needs more C-17s, or whether the Army really needs a new weapons system. All Sen. X cares about is jobs and money is his state. So therefore, every year we blow money on things the services never asked for in the first place.

Its unfortunate that most people are relatively short sighted and associate large military budgets with military folks, as if they are somehow reaping the benefit. My W-2s will respectfully disagree.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:28 AM       
GA is right. The grunts of the military don't make shit but then again we have those stupid slogans of "I hope one day that the military has to have a bake sale to buy weapons" blah blah blah.

I have no problem with my taxes being used to pay people who fight for our country more money. If I have to choose beween some art critic being payed 80,000 by the state in endowments or a sgt making that, I am picking the sgt.
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:14 AM       
If I have to choose between soldier and you having your lips sewn shut I'm going to go with you. Can you follow a conversation at all?

I strongly urge all of you to write your reps on this. It's shady, sleazy and manipulative, and even if you're for weaker species protection, you should be against shadow legislation like this crap. Any legislation a rep is afraid to write for what it is is something he's afraid won't ever pass on it's own merits.

Old May 30th, 2003, 11:07 AM        Agreed
I agree. I was just pointing out the fact that in my opinion attaching self serving legislation to defense bills based upon "military" necessity is usual a scam, and has little to do with either the military or necessity.

This year's entire defense budget package seems a little shady and it's proponents have been really pushing to railroad through without debate or examination in an attempt to capitalize on the "national security" rhetoric.

Old May 30th, 2003, 11:47 AM       
Fuck off, Jewy Jewstein. I was commenting on what GA said. I don't remember inviting you to respond.
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM       
That's funny that Jewy, thing. You should do it more, because it's the kind of edgy social satire you're really good at, and it shows you off in the best possible light.

GA, I absolutely agree with your point.

Vinth, your tangent was just that and was in no way a comment on what GA had said, unless this is what you mean by 'comment'.\

Vinth-"Fuck off, Jewy Jewstein. I was commenting on what GA said. I don't remember inviting you to respond."

Me: Vinth is right. People do comment with ivitation. If I had to choose between commenting on a person who interupts and Vinth who is a gigantic bag of crap, I'd pick the interupter every time.

Just because your post followed GA's, mentioned him by name, and used some of the same words doesn't make it a comment. It has to in some way be a part of the discussion and not just an interjection. But you can't make that judgement, becuase this discussion, like most of the discussions here, is beyond you.

And Art 'Critics' don't get grants from foundations or the government or anybody, you stupid mook. Do you even know what a critic is, or where you just 'typing too fast' again?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:15 PM       
I thought this thread was going to be about a bunch of animals putting on a play
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:20 PM       
Shut up, Clowny Clownstein!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
If you keep stealing Vince's thunder like that, what will he ever have to say to me?

*sigh* He'll never even know I exist!
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:42 PM       
LIBERTARIANS: AN ENDANGERED SPECIES

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Mangy : A contaminated rabbit
Vinth : as himself
Ted Nugent: as himself

SCENE: edge of the woods near a major U.S. army installation. Vince and Ted have decided to go hunting today and happen upon a sick looking rabbit.

<enter Vince and Ted from stage right>

Vinth: I'm so glad you asked me to go hunting with you, Ted... you're still gonna let be blow you later, right?

Ted: Whoah! Down Submariner! We'll get to that later ... Wait! ... What's that? It looks like a sickly rabbit.

Vinth: Can I shoot it? I can shoot real good. I have lots of uncles who showed me how to shoot real good. I defended my whole family against Maoist asians once!

Ted: Put down your Daisy, Vinth. That rabbit is in trouble and needs our help.

* Feel free to add on.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old May 30th, 2003, 01:05 PM       
I didn't know pussies were allowed in our fine Armed Services... well at least they don't come out pussies. I guess Kelly is the standard breaker.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:24 PM       
:hankyforthebitchboy

Wherever you go, there you are.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
I didn't know pussies were allowed in our fine Armed Services
because the g.i.'s you always think of while you jerk off are always lean, oiled, hairless, hard-bodied studs, right?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
Quote:
well at least they don't come out pussies.
Actually, they do.

As Ali G said 'we all come from the punani'

Old May 30th, 2003, 05:33 PM        ...
"didn't know pussies were allowed in our fine Armed Services... "

Yeah I know! I mean, after all, they turned YOU down. You might have a case there Vinny. You are your submarine letter, along with documentation that the military did allow SOME pussies in, and you might be in the money. Why, they might even let you sign up!
Queen of the Beasts
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:12 PM       
http://www.nwf.org/enviroaction/inde...202&issueId=25
Senate Rejects ESA Exemptions
Small Victory For Wildlife

In a dramatic and unexpected victory for the environment, the Senate in May denied the Bush administration's request to grant the military a far-reaching exemption from the Endangered Species Act (ESA).

In a narrow vote of 51 to 48, the Senate passed an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill that gives the Defense Department some flexibility to obtain waivers from the ESA's critical habitat designation requirement on a case-by-case basis, but denies the broad ESA exemption requested by the administration. The amendment, offered by Senators Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), Jim Jeffords (I-VT), Daniel Akaka (D-HI) and Joe Lieberman (D-CT), was supported by nearly all Senate Democrats. Four Republican senators, Lincoln Chafee (RI), Arlen Specter (PA), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Susan Collins (ME), also voted in favor of the amendment.

"In a victory for people and wildlife, the Senate chose to adopt a flexible case-by-case approach to species protection on our nations military bases, rather than the rigid nationwide exemptions sought by the Department of Defense," says NWF Senior Counsel John Kostyack. "This vote recognizes the military's already longstanding approach of working through ESA compliance issues on a case-by-case basis-a tactic that has proven successful for both wildlife and military preparedness."

Unfortunately, the House version of the defense bill, which also passed in May, grants broad exemptions from not only the Endangered Species Act, but the Marine Mammal Protection Act as well. The bill also includes language (not even requested by the Defense Department) exempting the military from responsibility for off-base water withdrawals from Arizona's San Pedro River. Excessive water use and ground-water pumping by the Army's Fort Huachuca is threatening the river, which supports 400 species of birds, 180 species of butterflies, 87 species of mammals, and 68 amphibians and reptiles. The San Pedro has the highest diversity of vertebrate species in the inland United States, the second highest diversity of land-mammals in the world and is one of the state's last free-flowing waterways. The House leadership denied environmental champions any opportunity to offer amendments to remove these exemptions when the defense bill was debated on the House floor.

The Defense Authorization Bill now moves to conference committee, where members of the House and Senate will be tasked with ironing out the differences between the two bills.

Copyright 2002 National Wildlife Federation. All rights reserved. The above article may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, without prior written consent of National Wildlife Federation.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM       
Ruining the ecology is fun though. It's like what Southern California did to the "Sierra Mountains" area.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:55 PM       
For the hopefully last fucking time. Vinth is NOT A LIBERTARIAN. He is a perfect example of why I will no longer refer to myself as Libertarian though.

Something about the party is just irresistable to political psychos and I won't be associated with guys like Vince.

Its good this wasn't passed, in my opinion simply because of the shadiness and general sleeziness. As far as endangered species laws go... Its kind of silly on a large scale.

Nature adapts. Thats what it does. Its the natural order of things. If we wipe out a thousand species, then one thousand niches have just opened up for 10,000 other competing species to evolve into. All that really matters is how and why we are eradicating them.
Senseless slaughter is never justified.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:49 PM       
"Nature adapts. Thats what it does. Its the natural order of things. If we wipe out a thousand species, then one thousand niches have just opened up for 10,000 other competing species to evolve into"

Yea, ironic as it sounds nature does have a way of fixing things. It could be by PEOPLE WITH COMPASSION TRYING TO SAVE THINGS. Or it could be by "human-proof" things evolving. these, "Competing species" won't have much to evolve into if we keep destroying them everytime they come around. I'm sure it takes alot to sum that up though, right? I mean, destroying an entire ecology and filling it with a military base, they would learn how to like, live in the oil spots. And the toxic waste dumps. Cute little toxic fishies.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 12:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBubba
Nature adapts. Thats what it does. Its the natural order of things. If we wipe out a thousand species, then one thousand niches have just opened up for 10,000 other competing species to evolve into. All that really matters is how and why we are eradicating them.
Senseless slaughter is never justified.
But by destroying these species, we are essentially degrading our own quality of life and culture. ("Daddy, what were forests like?") I'd rather have these beautiful wild creatures and wild places around. To destroy them is to destroy part of our national heritage.
Besides, it takes a long time for a competing species to evolve into the niche that the extinct species filled.