Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:40 AM        dun-dun-dun-da-dun DUN DUN DUUUUUUN
oh my GOD, Superman Returns was awesome

in Ratner, I trust

also Spiderman 3
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:46 AM       
Hickman saw this tonight. I'll let him give all the details, but from what he told me, it was just OK. He seemed a little underwhealmed, and he said that X3 was definitely the better movie.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:25 AM       
yeah, well, he likes to call himself Hickman. that's all that needs to be said about that.

X3 was a lot like a TV show on Nickelodeon. it was written by kids, for kids. kids who have never even driven by a comic book store. superman returns, on the other hand, treats the hero and the very IDEA with the respect that was sorely lacking in the older versions.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:47 AM       
im looking ward to it myself, but its coming out in two weeks here

oh well, i think we get POTC and entire day before the US :P

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
superman returns, on the other hand, treats the hero and the very IDEA with the respect that was sorely lacking in the older versions.
I hope you're only speaking about parts 3 and 4, because Superman 1 and 2 were just about as dead-on as you could get with a Superman movie. Not to mention Christopher Reeve was perfect for the role.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM       
yeah the first 2 kick ass, not that ive seen the other ones in years

Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM       
Spidey 3 :O

It was a pretty good movie, I can't think of a better actor for lex luthor unless they were going for that Justiceleague ultimate black lex luthor.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
Quote:
superman returns, on the other hand, treats the hero and the very IDEA with the respect that was sorely lacking in the older versions.
I hope you're only speaking about parts 3 and 4, because Superman 1 and 2 were just about as dead-on as you could get with a Superman movie. Not to mention Christopher Reeve was perfect for the role.
christopher reeve was a FANTASTIC superman, he just had the misfortune to star in some bad movies. I mean, zod is fantastic, kneel before zod, etc., but that doesn't change the fact that they were BAD MOVIES.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM       
How exactly were those BAD movies? I know the effects look dated compared to the films of today, but at the time, it was very impressive. The acting was great and the stories were just like that of a classic Superman comic book, so what exactly was bad about the first two films?
Now with less sodium!

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM       
I'm starting to ignore IS's taste in movies just as much as I am Royal Tennenbaums. The first 2 Superman movies were fantastic.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM       
what, so you liked X3? I wouldn't WANT you to share my taste in movies.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM       
It was entertaining. Not the best in the series, but there are far worse movies out there. But this isn't about X3 at all. I was saying that your taste in movies is seriously flawed if you didn't like the first two Superman movies.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM       
You still haven't answered my question. What makes Superman 1 & 2 bad movies? Just saying, "but that doesn't change the fact that they were BAD MOVIES," doesn't cut it.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM       
guys just so you can discount my taste in movies too, i thought superman 3 was a great movie
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM       
Instead of watching Superman Returns, I'm gonna go watch Heavy Metal and be happy.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
guys just so you can discount my taste in movies too, i thought superman 3 was a great movie
Superman 3 and 4 are great in a "so bad it's hilarious" kind of way.

NUCLEAR MAN.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM       
I haven't seen the first movie in about 8 years, so I'm not really in any position to say much about it, and 3 and 4 need no explanation, so we'll go with 2:

1. the cornball romance between superman and the beastly margot kidder. THIS really destroyed the movie for me.

2. loss of powers in a kryptonian phone booth?

3. oops nevermind here's my powers lol

4. super cellophane

5. super holo-clones

6. super amnesia lips

7. why is superman such a bitch against three members of his own race who haven't had NEARLY as much yellow sunlight as he has?

8. there were a few times where I expected gene hackman to slip on a banana peel or something, he was such a lame semi comic relief.

even superman: the animated series is more tasteful interpretation of superman than the movies and they had the TOYMAN for christ's sake.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM       
Jesus christ, you just don't get the Superman movies do you. Wow, I mean really... WOW. To even try comparing the animated series to those two classics... hahahah, jesus...
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM       
what comparison? it's the animated series by a MILE.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM       
so...are you going to tell me what it is I don't get about the movies? maybe I just don't get the artistry of the plot holes? the beauty and grace of the awkward acting? TELL ME, I MUST KNOW.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM       
oh wait, I forgot more SUPER MADE UP POWERS that superman has throughout the movies.

SUPER MASONRY VISION

SUPER HAND LASERS

SUPER TELEPORTATION

SUPER SELECTIVE STRENGTH- how does one move the moon, but have a little fatty grunt when trying to pick up a bus?
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM       
Uh, read any of the old comic books from over the years and you'll see that they made up all sorts of powers for him along the way (as with many other superheroes). But let's breakdown your complaints...

Quote:
1) Cornball romance between superman and "beastly" margot kidder.
How old are you, 10? Superman and Lois Lane have always been an item, and Marot Kidder was far from beastly. I thought she was perfect for the role of Lois.

Quote:
2. loss of powers in a kryptonian phone booth?
A phone booth, mn hmnn... yeah... there's a reason to walk out on a movie.

Quote:
3. oops nevermind here's my powers lol
As opposed to him never getting his powers back? Shit, you should clearly be writing superhero movies. Brilliant.

Quote:
4. super cellophane
That's pretty much the only one I partially agree with, but that was more humorous than bad, and the 2nd movie had a nice mix of humor to go with the action anyway.

Quote:
5. super holo-clones
I refer you to the top of this post once again.

Quote:
6. super amnesia lips
And again...

Quote:
7. why is superman such a bitch against three members of his own race who haven't had NEARLY as much yellow sunlight as he has?
Did you even watch the movie? Zod explained it quite clearly, "The closer we come to an atmosphere with only one sun... a yellow sun... the more our molecular density gives us unlimited powers." There's nothing in there about how long they've been exposed to the sun, it's simply how close they come to it. As for him being a "bitch" against three members of his own race, uh... he won, so how was he being a "bitch" in a 1vs3 fight again?

Quote:
8. there were a few times where I expected gene hackman to slip on a banana peel or something, he was such a lame semi comic relief.
Lame? The hell he was, he was perfect for the role of Lex Luthor, totally capturing the Lex from the old Superman comics.

I'm not going to pass any judgement on the new Superman movie until I see it, but to claim that the original 2 movies were anything less than extremely well done and entertaining, does indeed make your opinions basically worthless.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM       
as opposed to your fanatical fanboy opinion? okay...

Quote:
Uh, read any of the old comic books from over the years and you'll see that they made up all sorts of powers for him along the way (as with many other superheroes). But let's breakdown your complaints...
oh, hey, I can't. can I borrow yours? you know, the books from 1942? or how about some of those from the early 50's? you don't have them either, you say? I'm willing to bet that, if you read superman at all, you've only been reading since Byrne's reduction, so don't give me that "OH IT'S IN THE COMICS" crap.

besides, even looking through some of the old books and asking people who HAVE been reading superman since then, I still don't see where they pulled superclones, superlips, supermasonry vision, superlaser hands, and the like. please, clue me in.

Quote:
How old are you, 10? Superman and Lois Lane have always been an item, and Marot Kidder was far from beastly. I thought she was perfect for the role of Lois.
I guess I MUST be 10, because I can't really see how this TRIPE does any justice to what superman and lois lane actually have.

Quote:
A phone booth, mn hmnn... yeah... there's a reason to walk out on a movie.
right, because that's obviously what I said.

Quote:
As opposed to him never getting his powers back? Shit, you should clearly be writing superhero movies. Brilliant.
right, because that's obviously what I said.

Quote:
Did you even watch the movie? Zod explained it quite clearly, "The closer we come to an atmosphere with only one sun... a yellow sun... the more our molecular density gives us unlimited powers." There's nothing in there about how long they've been exposed to the sun, it's simply how close they come to it. As for him being a "bitch" against three members of his own race, uh... he won, so how was he being a "bitch" in a 1vs3 fight again?
first, you reference the comics and then you come to me with this? sounds like YOU need to start reading a little more.

Quote:
Lame? The hell he was, he was perfect for the role of Lex Luthor, totally capturing the Lex from the old Superman comics.
he might as well have been wearing fucking clown shoes.

anyway, none of this changes the fact that the new movie is easily the best of the series.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM       
Quote:
as opposed to your fanatical fanboy opinion? okay...
Because it is totally wrong for someone to have a fanatical fanboy opinion about a comic based movie franchise. Thank god you've never done that, eh? Oh, wait, what's this?

Quote:
so what does that make you? a Ratner fanboy? because that movie would have still sucked even if they hadn't mangled the comics beyond recognition. I mean, god forbid that they should actually draw upon their source material when making a fucking comic book movie.
Quote:
right. Ratner drew from the source material. I'll bet the closest he ever came to reading one of the comics was when he casually glanced at the title before wiping his ass with one of the books. and instead of even trying to successfully put comic material into the movie, it was just decided that they would fuck it up all on their own. cases in point: juggernaut, phoenix, psylocke, calysto, making 90% of all mutants ASIANS, and so on.
And you actually said something else that seemingly can be applied to Superman Returns, though it would pain you to admit it.
Quote:
and maybe they should've listened to some "faggoty fanboys" because what they had in the movie sure as hell didn't work.
Yep. Mockery sure does seem like the fanboy to me.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM       
I thought Superman Returns was above average. It had some great parts in it. But I'd say X3 was better. Not by much, though. Superman never really interested me like the X-Men did, so I guess that's the main reason why. Plus, I never really read comic books. So I guess that makes me uneducated. That's alright with me, though. I know what I like.