Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM        Miami FTAA Protest news blackout
It's hard to imagine how the press can ignore 8thousand plus people gathering to protest the ftaa meeting.. i havnt seen a single article on it in the press.. takes some searching to find out anything. i guess they think that if it doesnt show up in this 'liberal' media(what a joke) it didn't happen.

the protest would have been much larger but about 120 buses of union members were not allowed into the city and the tactics employed to stop dissent split the groups up as much as possible.

reports ive seen say that some police were dressed as homeless and were robbing cameramen at gunpoint and the poorer neighborhoods were encouraged to rob protesters.

here's one article from commondreams:
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1130-07.htm
Miami Crowd Control Would Do Tyrant Proud
by Robyn E. Blumner

Miami police Chief John Timoney must be mighty proud of the social order he maintained during the Free Trade Area of the Americas summit a couple of weeks ago in Miami - sort of the way Saddam Hussein was proud of quieting dissension in his country.

Timoney has a well-deserved reputation for using paramilitary tactics to turn any city where large protests are planned into a place where the Constitution has taken a holiday. During the FTAA meeting on Nov. 20, Timoney dispatched 2,500 police officers in full riot gear against a crowd estimated at 8,000 people, mostly union members and retirees.

The result was a show of force that would have made a Latin American dictator blush.

Slavish public officials such as Miami Mayor Manny Diaz touted Timoney's handiwork as "a model for homeland defense," and the Miami Police Department has responded to complaints by saying that officers demonstrated "a tremendous amount of restraint."

But this is hardly the way eyewitnesses described it. The scene was a "massive police state," according to the president of the United Steelworkers of America, who has demanded a congressional investigation. Congress gave Miami $8.5-million for security during the FTAA meetings - funds slipped inside the $87-billion measure for Iraq. The steelworkers called it money for "homeland repression."

The National Lawyers Guild, a liberal legal organization, said the day was punctuated by "indiscriminate, excessive force against hundreds of nonviolent protesters with weapons including pepper spray, tear gas, and concussion grenades and rubber bullets."

Observers said the provocation for officers to shoot rubber bullets and paint balls filled with pepper spray at the predominantly peaceable crowd was often one person lobbing an orange in the direction of police or lighting a trash can on fire.

Nikki Hartman, a 28-year-old Pinellas County resident, was shot three times with rubber bullets - once, she said, when a police officer fired point-blank at her behind after she stooped to pick up a bandanna she'd dropped. The officer had kicked it her way before shooting her. She was later shot in the back while retreating from police lines. Her friend Robert Davis was shot seven times while trying to help Hartman to her feet.

In addition to such shootings, police abandoned any legitimate basis for searching and arresting people. Miles Swanson, 25, a legal observer for the lawyers guild, was punched numerous times while being taken in by officers for pointing out undercover police dressed up as protesters. Eight of 60 guild observers were arrested that day; they wore distinctive green hats and were apparently targeted. When Swanson was grabbed off the street by three Broward County sheriff's deputies - two of whom were in ski masks - he said they told him "this is what you get when you f-- with us." Then, Swanson said, the deputies drove him around while looking for another legal observer to arrest. He ultimately pleaded no contest to one charge of obstructing justice so he could return to law school in Washington, D.C.

Celeste Fraser Delgado, a 36-year-old reporter for the Miami New Times, was interviewing protesters when she was arrested. According to an Associated Press report of her ordeal, she overheard police arguing about what to charge her with. The two misdemeanors - failure to obey a legal command and resisting arrest without violence - were dropped the next day.

The police seemed especially sensitive to having their actions photographed or taped. Sean Lidberg, who was stringing for a Minnesota paper, said his group of friends was aggressively detained and searched by police because one of them had picked up and put down a coconut found on the ground.

"We're from Minnesota and never saw coconuts growing wild," said the 20-year-old Lidberg. When he tried to take video of the police searching through his backpack, Lidberg said, "they shoved the camera down and wouldn't let me document anything said or done." Police proceeded to take most of what he had in his backpack, which included two gas masks. He doesn't expect to see his stuff again.

When contacted for comment, the Miami police first asked for case numbers. When those were provided, the public information officer said he didn't have time to comment on the incidents and hung up when his name was requested.

Ever since the melee at the 1999 World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle, where demonstrators blocked streets and vandalized stores, conference planners and public officials have adopted a no-holds-barred approach to potential large-scale protests. And Timoney is their man. Militant protesters, "punks" as he calls them, are anathema to Timoney. Shutting them down with Pinkerton prowess is his specialty. Rights, schmights.

Anyone who cares about civil liberties might remember Timoney as the police commissioner of Philadelphia during the 2000 Republican convention - an event marked by police making pre-emptive arrests on baseless charges and smashing heads. This led to lucrative private consulting offers for Timoney and then, this year, to the top-cop spot in Miami.

His antiprotester philosophy is a fitting sign of the times and intersects nicely with the new FBI protocols established by Attorney General John Ashcroft. Ashcroft recently junked FBI guidelines that prevented agents from monitoring groups without evidence of criminal wrongdoing, saying it was vital for antiterrorism operations. But in a J. Edgar Hoover redux, it turns out that this flexibility is being used to spy on and collect intelligence on antiwar protesters.

When men like Timoney and Ashcroft are on the A-list of the nation's law enforcers, free speech doesn't stand a chance. It is open season on dissent. A vignette reported by the Miami Herald says it all: During the FTAA action, Timoney came upon a protester who was pinned against a car being arrested; without knowing anything about the circumstances, he pointed a finger at the demonstrator's face and said, "You're bad. F-- you!" People exercising their First Amendment rights are now considered the enemy.

Copyright 2003 St Petersburg Times
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:58 PM        Re: Miami FTAA Protest news blackout
There was an article in The Nation last week by Sarah Anderson, wherein in she described what was going on in the FTAA protests, at the street-level. She descibed one incident in which a news crew for a local television station hurriedly made their way to a street upon hearing that 'anarchists' were gathering to make a push against the police, only to find that they had peacefully moved on. It seemed to me like the mainstream television media were only interested in capturing images of violent clashes, instead of focusing on what brought together seemingly disparate elements of people from different parts of two continents to protest a trade meeting. I guess social justice will have to be sexed-up in some way, before it can be sold to the public.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:43 PM       
Okay, this is the way things are. Police in some places are dicks, are needlessly violent, and infringe heavily on rights. This is something that needs to be change.

However.

People know this is the case. It hasn't been changed yet. Protesters and obeservers and people who are even SEEN by police in certain areas will be attacked.

SO DON'T FUCKING PROTEST OR OBSERVE OR BE THERE! Yes, what they do is wrong and needs to stop, but if it's been happening and people go ahead and do the same thing again, they're just asking to get beat down. Protest somewhere else or stay out of the line of fire until something is done about it. Incidents like this are looking more and more like people just willfully slamming themselves into brick walls because they want to run to the other side of the wall and won't avoid it.

Common sense, people. I don't know how to ensure that freedom of speech is protected, but I do know how to keep from getting abused by the police.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:41 PM       
Quote:
SO DON'T FUCKING PROTEST OR OBSERVE OR BE THERE!
Wow. You're pretty stupid.

Being there helps to draw attention to the wrongs that officers are committing. Not being there ensures that your voice will never be heard, and you're just holding the door open for the totalitarian dicks to walk right in.

Dissent and protest are RIGHTS, not privileges to be doled out by the gov't at their discretion. Fuck the Miami police. And you, for espousing such an astoundingly idiotic idea.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Yes, what they do is wrong and needs to stop, but if it's been happening and people go ahead and do the same thing again, they're just asking to get beat down. Protest somewhere else or stay out of the line of fire until something is done about it. Incidents like this are looking more and more like people just willfully slamming themselves into brick walls because they want to run to the other side of the wall and won't avoid it.
Which is exactly what the people who hired Timoney want the people in the protest movement to do. As physically dangerous as it is, I think it's significant that there are a large number of people out there who are willing to put themselves in harms way to vocalize their opposition to the proposed FTAA.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:52 PM       
hmm, so perndog, you think the government is listening to the people at all? you think they will somehow just decide to listen at somepoint after every protester refuses to show up at thier closed door meetings?

i for one, as many of those at the protests, believe in a democracy where the votes count, some are saying that the next presidential election will be even more a fraud than the last.. we'll see.

and as one of the protest supporters, i vote in local and national elections, write the paper occasionally, write my congresspeople, and sometimes weigh in at local debates.. but my voice as many others are drowned out literally by stacks of money. if you try hard enough you find that there is a brick wall (of money) that a citizen runs into.. so really the protests where they wall off the private meeting that is discussing public policy is a symbol of what is going on with our government. and it's simply unacceptable.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 12:47 AM       
Yes, dissent and protest are rights and anyone can legally participate in them. I guess my self-preservation instinct is too high for me to match you people's noble patriotism. I tend to believe that I'll be able to live a decent life no matter what happens with government policy, and if I can't there's nothing stopping me from moving overseas.

To clarify my original statement, I just think that if you need to protest, you don't need to do it in a place that will invite police brutality. I'm sure there are plenty of other places where a large enough crowd of people can make themselves heard, whether or not they're on the premises of the event that offends them.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM       
You should not be allowed to protest on private property.

Unions should have no special legal priviledges.

The government should embark on a crusade, along with the media, to expose labor unions as the foolish, destructive, and manipulative organizations that they frequently are.

There. Problem solved.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM       
"Simple as that," right, OAO?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 06:42 PM       
Where did you get that quote?

Anyway, I do believe in labor unions. In theory. In practice, I see way too many of them abusing their members.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 10:45 AM       
"simple as that" is something Vinth likes to say at the end of muddy, infantile , simplistic, poorly concieved trains of thought.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 12:32 AM       
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1220-03.htm

Judge: I Saw Police Commit Felonies
A judge who said he witnessed some of the anti-free trade protests complains in open court about how police handled the demonstrations.
by Amy Driscoll

A judge presiding over the cases of free trade protesters said in court that he saw ''no less than 20 felonies committed by police officers'' during the November demonstrations, adding to a chorus of complaints about police conduct.

Judge Richard Margolius, 60, made the remarks in open court last week, saying he was taken aback by what he witnessed while attending the protests.

''Pretty disgraceful what I saw with my own eyes. And I have always supported the police during my entire career,'' he said, according to a court transcript. ``This was a real eye-opener. A disgrace for the community.''

In the transcript, he also said he may have to remove himself from any additional cases involving arrests made during the Free Trade Area of the Americas summit.

''I probably would have been arrested myself if it had not been for a police officer who recognized me,'' said the judge, who wears his hair in a graying ponytail.

the rest at http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1220-03.htm

oops they closed the borders now too. [/url]
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 02:28 AM        Re: Miami FTAA Protest news blackout
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranxer
reports ive seen say that some police were dressed as homeless and were robbing cameramen at gunpoint and the poorer neighborhoods were encouraged to rob protesters.
What are they supposed to rob? Some hounds tooth scarfs and some smooke bombs? Maybe a Greyhound ticket back to San Francisco? Any good petty thief knows these protestors aren't often the most afluential bunch around.

Occupant is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM       
Quote:
Quote:
SO DON'T FUCKING PROTEST OR OBSERVE OR BE THERE!

Wow. You're pretty stupid.
Yep, that's totally stupid alright. Hasn't changed yet? How is any thing supposed to be changed if nobody stands up? This shit don't change itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemocracyNow!
In the times in which we live, this is what democracy looks like. Thousands of soldiers, calling themselves police, deployed in US cities to protect the power brokers from the masses. Posse Comitatus is just a Latin phrase. Vigilantes like John Timoney roam from city to city, organizing militias to hunt the dangerous radicals who threaten the good order. And damned be the journalist who dares to say it - or film it - like it is.

The skinny on
the FTAA protest can be found here.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 12:40 PM       
Quote:
What are they supposed to rob? Some hounds tooth scarfs and some smooke bombs?
its a general attitude of making the protesters life hell, but the main targets for robbery were anyone with recording devices.. cameras, audio, etc. they don't want any evidence of wrong doing getting out or media reports getting out. if the people protesting are seen as respectible human beings the news blackout has failed.

demonization is the name of the game.. for the most part the only violence brought to miami was brought by the ftaa and thier goons.