Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM        bass amps
so the band i'm in has been playing an increasing number of shows, and i'm getting tired of asking people i don't know if i can borrow their bass amp at shows because i don't have my own. the thing is, i've never really had one and don't know a goddamned thing about bass amps. any bass players here with some suggestions as to what i should be looking for? i want cheap but with enough balls to play small to medium sized venues (or that is suitable to be mic'd to a PA). it doesn't have to be super high quality or anything, because the type of stuff we play is pretty welfare sounding.

ps: dear chojin, i know fartin mowler plays bass... could you unban him from this thread only?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM       
You can e-mail fartin at harrysnotter@hotmail.com or catch him on Jixby's board.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM       
I would suggest a Fender Bassman 150 or 250. New there about $400-600. You can find an old one for anywere between $150-$300. The vintage bassmans are saught after. A lot of bass players and some guitarists stand by these things religiously.

I use to have a bassman 200, which is a model they don't make anymore, but i sold it a while back. Vox, Ampeg and SWR make some pretty good combo amps too.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:11 PM       
i play bass hardcore man plop down 300 on any ampeg 15 inch combo. i got a 2x10 ampeg combo it rocks for practicing with a drummer and a gay guitarist (omg check out my 2x12 combo powering a 4x12) but mine was like $600 new.

or u could be hardcore and just buy a cheap power amp off ebay (a good one like crown) a sansamp & a 2x15 or 410 whichever you'd like. you can run the sansamp straight to a poweramp but you have to modify it.

this would be like $600-700 if you shopped around, and you could get a fucking loud ass amp this way. plus it'd be really ligh as it would just be a pedal+pa+cab ;P it'd sound rockin' if i had to do it all over again i'd do this.. but probably with a ts-50b or like an old ampeg head but you wouldn't need a pa (you'd need alot of money)

or if u really like running thru pa's like a pussy just use the sansamp as a standalone preamp anywhere with a pa. it's only like $160 and would give you a really good (it's a tube emulator slash di) tone thru a pa. sansamp also has a rackmount for like $200 if you don't wanna mod a pedal for your own pa stack

or... u could buy a peavey and a peavey cab if u really want power but it'll sound like shit. itll last forever and be cheap as fuck though

(u could run a sansamp infront of it omg if u cannot see sansamp bass driver rules)

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM       
I wanted to reply to this a while back but couldn't...but I think Bobo hit it on the nail. I llook for an amp that suits what your going to be doing...nice Roland 30 for practice and a 100 watt fender tube head for doing shows.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM       
Yea, I still need a bass amp but I have no idea where my money goes.
Alliumphobia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM       
You should go and take a look at steve's. Look for some Fender amps.
Still, take a look here:
http://www.stevesmusic.com
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM       
I'm really just in the market for a used amp but besides guitar picks, I wouldn't buy anything from Steve's. Their prices are high and their staff are jaded 'coulda-been' musicians. At least in Toronto that is, I've never been to the Montreal store but I've heard it's the same.

Instead I go to Moog Audio on St-Laurent on Saturdays after eating an amazing $4 breakfast and play the Moog Voyager. This synth DESTROYS anything else I've ever touched. It seriously sounds like it's alive.

Alliumphobia I see that you live in Montreal too, unless you're fucking with me - what's a good used music store here? Is there anything like Songbird in Ottawa or Toronto?

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:40 AM        re:
i want a moog voyager...
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:04 PM       
http://www.songbirdmusic.com/default.asp

I got my amp from here...they have an Ottawa store you could visit.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
what's a good used music store here? Is there anything like Songbird in Ottawa or Toronto?
Thanks Fartin! :/
Alliumphobia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM       
I dont know for sure. But i know there's plenty of them on St-Denis. I got my guitar from steve's, and the prices aren't that bad (About 259$) and well i know that on the south shore there's also many of them.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM       
sorry, I didn't see that you mentioned songbird :/ come to Toronto with some money and we can go shopping and see a band
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM       
Quote:
I dont know for sure. But i know there's plenty of them on St-Denis. I got my guitar from steve's, and the prices aren't that bad (About 259$) and well i know that on the south shore there's also many of them.
For instruments Steve's is alright, but their amp prices are obscene. Amps are pretty damn expensive regardless though, which is why if I buy one, it's gonna be used. I've been to Technopolis (around St-Denis and Clark I think?) and it's a pretty cool place for used MIDI gear, but I don't think they sell bass amps...

Quote:
sorry, I didn't see that you mentioned songbird come to Toronto with some money and we can go shopping and see a band
We may be playing a show in Toronto in January. If we do, I'll let you know and you can come see me get drunk and fuck up songs that are so simple to play, a shaved monkey on acid could do better. Just kidding, I'm amazing.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM       
Peavey Megabass=Awesome.