Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:01 PM        Darwin Award Nominee
Source: http://www.adn.com/front/story/4110831p-4127072c.html

Wildlife author killed, eaten by bears he loved
KATMAI: Many had warned Treadwell that his encounters with browns were too close.

By CRAIG MEDRED
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: October 8, 2003)

Timothy Treadwell (Photo from "Among Grizzlies" )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ron Engstrom / Anchorage Daily News)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on photo to enlarge
A California author and filmmaker who became famous for trekking to Alaska's remote Katmai coast to commune with brown bears has fallen victim to the teeth and claws of the wild animals he loved.

Alaska State Troopers and National Park Service officials said Timothy Treadwell, 46, and girlfriend Amie Huguenard, 37, were killed and partially eaten by a bear or bears near Kaflia Bay, about 300 miles southwest of Anchorage, earlier this week.

Scientists who study Alaska brown bears said they had been warning Treadwell for years that he needed to be more careful around the huge and powerful coastal twin of the grizzly.

Treadwell's films of close-up encounters with giant bears brought him a bounty of national media attention. The fearless former drug addict from Malibu, Calif. -- who routinely eased up close to bears to chant "I love you'' in a high-pitched, sing-song voice -- was the subject of a show on the Discovery Channel and a report on "Dateline NBC." Blond, good-looking and charismatic, he appeared for interviews on David Letterman's show and "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" to talk about his bears. He even gave them names: Booble, Aunt Melissa, Mr. Chocolate, Freckles and Molly, among others.

A self-proclaimed eco-warrior, he attracted something of a cult following too. Chuck Bartlebaugh of "Be Bear Aware,'' a national bear awareness campaign, called Treadwell one of the leaders of a group of people engaged in "a trend to promote getting close to bears to show they were not dangerous.

"He kept insisting that he wanted to show that bears in thick brush aren't dangerous. The last two people killed (by bears) in Glacier National Park went off the trail into the brush. They said their goal was to find a grizzly bear so they could 'do a Timothy.' We have a trail of dead people and dead bears because of this trend that says, 'Let's show it's not dangerous.' ''

But even Treadwell knew that getting close with brown bears in thick cover was indeed dangerous. In his 1997 book "Among Grizzlies,'' he wrote of a chilling encounter with a bear in the alder thickets that surround Kaflia Lake along the outer coast of Katmai National Park and Preserve.

"This was Demon, who some experts label the '25th Grizzly,' the one that tolerates no man or bear, the one that kills without bias,'' Treadwell wrote. "I had thought Demon was going to kill me in the Grizzly Maze.''

Treadwell survived and kept coming back to the area. He would spend three to four months a summer along the Katmai coast, filming, watching and talking to the bears.

"I met him during the summer of '98 at Hallo Bay,'' said Stephen Stringham, a professor with the University of Alaska system. "At first, having read his book, I thought he was fairly foolhardy ... (but) he was more careful than the book portrayed.

"He wasn't naive. He knew there was danger."

NO PROTECTION

Despite that, Treadwell refused to carry firearms or ring his campsites with an electric fence as do bear researchers in the area. And he stopped carrying bear spray for self-protection in recent years. Friends said he thought he knew the bears so well he didn't need it.

U.S. Geological Survey bear researcher Tom Smith; Sterling Miller, formerly the Alaska Department of Fish and Game's top bear authority; and others said they tried to warn the amateur naturalist that he was being far too cavalier around North America's largest and most powerful predator.

"He's the only one I've consistently had concern for,'' Smith said. "He had kind of a childlike attitude about him.''

"I told him to be much more cautious ... because every time a bear kills somebody, there is a big increase in bearanoia and bears get killed,'' Miller said. "I thought that would be a way of getting to him, and his response was 'I would be honored to end up in bear scat.' ''

A number of other people said that over the years Treadwell made similar comments to them, implying that he would prefer to die as part of a bear's meal. All said they found the comments troubling, because bears that attack people so often end up dead.

RANGERS RETRIEVE REMAINS

Katmai park rangers who went Monday to retrieve the remains of Treadwell and Huguenard -- both of whom were largely eaten -- ended up killing two bears near the couple's campsite.

Katmai superintendent Deb Liggett said she was deeply troubled by the whole episode.

"The last time I saw Timothy, I told him to be safe out there and that none of my staff would ever forgive him if they had to kill a bear because of him,'' she said. "I kind of had a heart-to-heart with him. I told him he was teaching the wrong message.

"This is unfortunate, (but) I'm not surprised. It really wasn't a matter of if; it was just a matter of when.''

What led up to the latest Alaska bear attack, as well as exactly when it happened, is unknown. The bodies of Treadwell and Huguenard, a physician's assistant from Boulder, Colo., were discovered Monday by the pilot of a Kodiak air taxi who arrived at their wilderness camp to take them back to civilization. A bear had buried the remains of both in what is known as a "food cache.''

The couple's tent was flattened as if a bear sat or stepped on it, but it had not been ripped open, even though food was inside. The condition of the tent led most knowledgeable observers to conclude the attack probably took place during the daylight hours when Treadwell and Huguenard were outside the tent, instead of at night when they would have been inside. Most of their food was found in bear-proof containers near the camp.

Officials said the camp was clean but located close to a number of bear trails. Because of the concentration of bears in the Kaflia Lake area and a shortage of good campsites, however, it is almost impossible to camp anywhere but along a bear trail there.

EXTENDED THEIR STAY

Treadwell and Huguenard, who was in the process of moving from Colorado to Malibu to live with Treadwell, had last been heard from Sunday afternoon when they used a satellite phone to talk to Jewel Palovak. Palovak is a Malibu associate of Treadwell at Grizzly People, which bills itself as "a grass-roots organization devoted to preserving bears and their wilderness habitat.''

Palovak said she talked with Treadwell about his favorite bear, a sow he called Downy. Treadwell had been worried, Palovak said, that the sow might have wandered out of the area and been killed by hunters. So instead of returning to California at the end of September as planned, Treadwell lingered at Kaflia to look for her. Palovak said Treadwell was excited to report finding the animal alive.

PILOT CALLS IN TRAGEDY

What transpired in the hours after the phone call is unknown. The Kodiak pilot who arrived at the Treadwell camp the next day was met by a charging brown bear. The bear forced the pilot for Andrew Airways back to his floatplane.

Authorities said he took off and buzzed the bear several times in an effort to drive it out of the area, but it would not leave the campsite established by Treadwell and Huguenard. When the pilot spotted the bear apparently sitting on the remains of a human, authorities said, he flew back to the lake, landed, beached his plane some distance from the camp and called for help from troopers and the Park Service.

Interviews with sources who were on the scene provided this account:

Park rangers were the first to arrive. They hiked from the beach toward a knob above the camp hoping to be able to survey the scene from a distance. They had no sooner reached the top of the knob, however, than they were charged by a large brown bear.

It was shot and killed at a distance of about 12 feet. The Andrew Air pilot, according to Bruce Bartley of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, was convinced the large boar with the ratty hide was the same animal he'd tried to buzz out of the campsite. The boar was described as an underweight, old male with rotting teeth.

Authorities do not know if it was the bear that killed Treadwell and Huguenard. They were to fly to the site on Tuesday to search the animal's stomach for human remains but were prevented from doing so by bad weather.

After shooting that bear, rangers and troopers who had by then arrived walked down to the campsite and undertook the task of gathering the remains of the two campers. While they were there, another large boar grizzly went through the campsite but largely ignored the humans.

A smaller, subadult that appeared later, however, seemed to be stalking the group. Rangers and troopers shot and killed it.

"It would have killed Timothy to know that they killed the bears,'' Palovak said, "but there was no choice in the matter."

"He was very clear that he didn't want any retaliation against a bear,'' added Roland Dixon, a wealthy bear fan who lives on a ranch outside of Fort Collins, Colo., and has been one of Treadwell's main benefactors for the past six or seven years. "He was really adamant that he didn't want any bear to suffer from any mistake that he made. His attitude was that if something like this were to happen, it would probably be his fault.''

Bartlebaugh of "Be Bear Aware'' has no doubts that Treadwell loved the animals but believes the love was misguided.

"I'm an avid bear enthusiast,'' Bartlebaugh said. "It's the same attitude that I think Timothy had, but I don't want them (the bears) to be my friends. I don't want to have a close, loving relationship. I want to be in awe of them as wild animals.''

Palovak, Treadwell's associate, and Dixon take a different view.

"I think (Timothy) would say it's the culmination of his life's work,'' Palovak said. "He always knew that he was the bear's guest and that they could terminate his stay at any time. He lived with the full knowledge of that. He died doing what he lived for.''

"He was kind of a goofy guy,'' Dixon said. "It took me a while to get in tune with him. His whole life was dedicated to being with the bears, or teaching young people about them. That's all he ever did. It was always about the bears. It was never about Timothy. He had a passion and he lived his passion. There will be no one to replace him. There's just nobody in the bear world who studies bears like Timothy did.''

Dixon acknowledged Treadwell took risks with bears but dismissed as envious those who criticized his behavior .

Daily News reporter Elizabeth Manning contributed to this story. Daily News Outdoors editor Craig Medred can be reached at cmedred@adn.com.

TIMOTHY TREADWELL'S Web site, with photos of Alaska bears, is at

www.grizzlypeople.com/home.php

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:37 PM       
He should have brought them a picnic basket.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:36 PM       
That's, "pic-a-nic basket.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM       
Someone posted this last week on another board where I hang out. Stupid motherfucker. They should have given those two bears medals instead of shooting them.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:26 AM       
Oh my God, they have it on tape!

Source: http://ktla.trb.com/news/local/la-me...la-newslocal-1

Audiotape Records Fatal Bear Mauling

By Jia-Rui Chong and Steve Hymon
Times Staff Writers

October 9, 2003

Timothy Treadwell can be heard desperately fighting off a grizzly bear on a three-minute audiotape of the fatal mauling that claimed his life and that of his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, in Katmai National Park and Preserve earlier this week, Alaska State Troopers disclosed Wednesday.

The Malibu couple had been camping in a remote corner of the 4-million-acre park on Alaska's southwest coast for several days to observe the bears. Treadwell, 46, was a self-taught bear expert who frequently described his adventures with the animals on television and in schools.

Their remains were found Monday by the bush pilot who had flown to their camp to pick them up.

The audiotape is from a hand-held video camera that Treadwell used to record his encounters with the bears, some of which weigh more than 1,000 pounds, police said. There was no video of the attack, said Greg Wilkinson, public information officer for the Alaska State Troopers.

Wilkinson said he had not heard the tape, but that quotes from it had been provided to him by investigators. Police believe the tape was made Sunday night. Treadwell was last heard from at noon Sunday, when he used a satellite phone to call a friend in Malibu.

According to Wilkinson, the tape begins with sounds of Treadwell screaming that he is being attacked and calling for help to Huguenard, who was apparently still inside a tent.

"It's obvious that the attack was going on before the tape was turned on," said Wilkinson, who then repeated quotes from the tapes.

"Come out here; I'm being killed out here," Treadwell said.

"Play dead!" Huguenard yelled in reply.

That strategy is commonly used to pacify angry bears in an attack. But Treadwell told Huguenard the strategy wasn't working and she then urged him to "fight back."

Treadwell, who never carried weapons, then asked her to get a pan and to hit the bear, police said.

At that point, the tape stops. Much of it is fuzzy or inaudible, Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson said investigators had found the camera inside a bag they had picked up at the couple's campsite. He said he did not know whether one of the National Park Service rangers or state troopers who responded to the scene had put the camera in the bag or whether Huguenard had done so before she was killed.

The beginning of the tape included both video and audio of Treadwell interacting with the bears in the days before the attack.

"The troopers who saw the tape said that, at one point, Treadwell is doing something and a bear suddenly comes up behind him and he has that 'oh my God' look on his face," Wilkinson said. "I'm sure all along he knew that he was playing with fire and that probably was part of the appeal."

Park Service officials for years have been critical of Treadwell, saying he got too close to wild animals and made the mistake of treating them like people. His friends, however, said Treadwell's photos and 1999 book, "Among Grizzlies," helped educate people about bears.

Treadwell had spent the last 13 summers in Alaska. He had been there since June, traveling to remote locations where he could pitch his tent and view bears. Huguenard, 37, spent time with him in July and traveled to be with him in September.

Dean Andrew, owner of Andrew Airways in Alaska, said his company had flown Treadwell on three trips into the Alaskan wilderness this year. The last trip was a spur-of-the-moment decision that took Treadwell and Huguenard back into Katmai on Sept. 29.

"The morning of the pick-up, there was no call," Andrew said. "That was a red flag."

The pilot who was supposed to pick up the pair was a good friend of Treadwell and did not want to speak to the media, Andrew added.

Andrew said the pilot knew something was wrong when he landed near Treadwell's camp at 1:10 p.m. on Monday. Usually, Treadwell would contact the approaching pilot through a hand-held radio and then arrange his gear on the shoreline of the lake where the pilot landed his float plane.

On Monday, the pilot did not hear the familiar voice and noticed that the camp was still pitched about 100 yards up a hill from the lake. The pilot got out of the plane, shouted and walked toward the camp when, as Andrew described it, he "got a strange feeling that something wasn't right."

Andrew said the pilot barely made it back to the plane as a bear charged him. The pilot took off. Once airborne, he saw that a bear was in Treadwell's camp and standing on top of a human body.

John Quinley, a National Park Service spokesman, said rangers were still trying late Wednesday to retrieve the bodies of two grizzlies that were shot by investigators who went to the camp Monday to recover the remains of Treadwell and Huguenard.

He said he wasn't sure if the rangers had succeeded and that weather in the area had been poor.

Investigators hope to perform a necropsy on the dead bears to determine whether they were the ones that attacked the couple.

Dr. Franc G. Fallico, the acting chief medical examiner for Alaska, said that even someone knowledgeable about bear behavior would have little chance of surviving an attack by an angry bear.

"I personally have autopsied two other bear maulings," Fallico said on Tuesday. "Both guys got a high-powered rifle shot into the bear and the bear still killed them. That's pretty significant, isn't it?"
Copyright © 2003, The Los Angeles Times
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:27 AM       
I think I saw this guy on television once, it's kind of cool that they ate him.

Quote:
"I had thought Demon was going to kill me in the Grizzly Maze.''
That sounds like a good catchphrase.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:03 AM       
Quote:
Oh my God, they have it on tape!
We've got laughs from coast to coast
to make you smile
You might be a star tonight
so let that camera roll

You're the red white and blue
all the funny things you do
America, America, this is you

He could have won the $10k
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:41 AM       
[center:32b0d82c16]http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...-tn-200104.jpg[/center:32b0d82c16]
The last vision that this assclown had seconds before he turn from a Yogi & Boo Boo lover to lunch, but I do feel for the State Troopers who had to hear this horrific tape though. By the way, if this Treadwell is childless he can easily qualify for the prestigious Darwin Award.

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 03:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov
Quote:
"I had thought Demon was going to kill me in the Grizzly Maze.''
That sounds like a good catchphrase.
That is good, but here's a great catchphrase: "Come out here; I'm being killed out here."

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
He could have won the $10k
(squeaky Bob Saget voice) "Oh boy gee! This hurts like a motherfucker! Golly wow heck, there goes my leg! Gee golly fishfingers!"
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM       
Rotten.com or some similar site had a picture of a guy who was eaten by a bear once. It was neat.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM       
well, this sucks.
people getting mauled on tape isn't THAT funny. :/

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:34 PM       
It is when they tempt fate.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 02:08 PM       
Mocker