Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM        Case for the death penalty?
In keeping with all discussions on "Christianly" behavior.....

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Com..._20_05_DS.html

November 20, 2005

A Strong Argument for the Death Penalty
By Debra Saunders

Clarence Ray Allen provides the strongest argument I've seen for the death penalty. Allen is slated to be executed on Jan. 17. He ordered the death of several witnesses who had testified against him from prison while he was serving a sentence of life without parole for the murder of another witness. As a result, three innocent people are dead. They've been dead for 25 years.
"This is probably the paradigm of a death-penalty case, in which really no lesser punishment would be appropriate," noted state Deputy Attorney General Ward Campbell last week.

The ugly saga starts in 1974. Allen owned a security company. According to court documents, he enlisted the help of his own son Roger and two employees to rob Fran's Market, a store east of Fresno owned by the Schletewitz family, whom Allen had known for years.

Roger Allen invited the Schletewitz son, Bryon, to a party. While Bryon was swimming, someone took his keys. The Allen gang robbed the store. Later, Roger's 17-year-old girlfriend, Mary Sue Kitts, confessed to Bryon that she helped cash money orders stolen from the market.

Bryon confronted Roger Allen and also confirmed that Kitts had told him what happened.

Clarence Ray Allen then ordered that Kitts be murdered. Between threatening phone calls from Allen, an accomplice strangled the poor girl. When Bryon learned Kitts was missing, he went to authorities.

After a 1977 trial, a jury convicted Allen of burglary, conspiracy and first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life without parole.

In Folsom State Prison, Allen cooked up a scheme to kill the witnesses who testified against him so that he could appeal his conviction and then be freed because any witnesses were dead -- or scared silent. After Allen's buddy, Billy Ray Hamilton, was paroled, Allen's other son supplied Hamilton with guns and ammo.

Accompanied by a girlfriend, Hamilton visited Fran's Market, brandished a sawed-off shotgun and led Bryon and other employees into the stockroom as he searched for a safe. As the Fresno Bee reported, Hamilton shot Bryon to death.

He killed Douglas White, 18. Then he shot a crying Josephine Rocha, 17, through the heart, lung and stomach.

"When you hear the details, it's hard," Teresa Daniele, Rocha's big sister, told me over the phone. Some 25 years later, "it's still very raw." Hamilton also shot a 17-year-old clerk, who was left for dead but miraculously survived, and a neighbor who heard the shotgun blasts and went to investigate. After being shot, the neighbor then shot Hamilton.

Days later, a wounded Hamilton was arrested while robbing a liquor store. Police found a list of names and information for eight people who had testified against Allen, including Bryon Schletewitz and his father, Ray Schletewitz.

In 1982, a jury convicted Allen and sentenced him to Death Row. (A jury also sent Hamilton to Death Row.) The evidence had been overwhelming. As U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw wrote in a three-judge Ninth Circuit court decision that rejected Allen's appeal, the most damning evidence "came directly from Allen."

First, there was the list and the fact that Allen's son helped Hamilton. Then, there was the fact that Allen had been vocal in letting people know he would kill any "rat." As Wardlaw wrote: "By committing a capital crime while having already been maximally punished and while behind walls thought to protect society, Allen has proven that he is beyond redemption and that he will continue to pose a threat to society."

And: Allen "has shown himself more than capable of arranging murders from behind bars. If the death penalty is to serve any purpose at all, it is to prevent the very sort of murderous conduct for which Allen was convicted."

While Allen showed no mercy for his victims, the system has been quite kind to Allen. Three execution dates were set -- then stayed. In September, Allen had a heart attack, then angioplasty. With his execution looming, he may yet have open-heart surgery.

Now, his attorney, Michael Satris, is using Allen's old age -- which his victims failed to attain -- and poor health as a reason to put off the execution. I kid you not. Satris argued: "Allen's health is too fragile for the setting of an execution date at this time because of the risk that the setting of a date and the procedures that will attend such will cause him to have a heart attack."

Meanwhile, the families of his victims are dying off. Allen has outlived Josephine's father, Joseph Rocha, and Douglas White's brother, George. I'm told that the Kitt parents are dead. Bryon's mother, Fran, died in 2002. His father wanted to witness Allen's execution, but died in March. Bryon's sister is the only surviving member of the family. She wants to see justice done.

If Allen is executed as scheduled, the sister, Patricia Pendergrass, told me, "there finally will be truth in sentencing, even though so many years have passed." She thinks of the "very vicious, cruel death" forced upon Bryon and Josephine and Douglas, and sees Allen's execution as infinitely kinder.

If the state can't execute a man who has killed innocent people from prison while serving a life sentence without parole for murder, then no one is safe.

Except Clarence Ray Allen.

Copyright 2005 Creators Syndicate
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM       
That isn't an argument for death penalty so much as an argument for giving people life sentences and keeping them in solitary confinement. If he had been kept from contacting people in the outside world, then he would have never been able to order those hits. It's more of a problem with the prison keeping their prisoners in check than an argument to kill someone. Just lock him up and throw away the key.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM       
I'm a fan of quartering.
Mocker
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:26 PM       
I agree with Royal, however is it feasible? Can you assume that every nasty murderer will continue to kill from prison, thus they need to be isolated from every other prisoner....? That's a lot of isolation space, and incase you haven't heard, we Americans are bustin' at the seams as it is. We loves our prisons.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM       
They should force prisoners to wear a microphone. If they complain about their privacy being restricted then they can have the choice between two options: 1) wear a microphone or 2) go on death row. I would guess they will take option 1. And I'm fine with option 2, because they only way I support the death penalty is if it is requested by the prisoner.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM       
so if we gave them the option of being severely beaten daily or death row, and they chose death row, you'd be cool with that?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:21 PM       
Only if they are severely beaten with a microphone.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
so if we gave them the option of being severely beaten daily or death row, and they chose death row, you'd be cool with that?
What a stupid comparison. I don't think violence should be used at all in terms of criminals that are already subdued. Monitoring the activities of criminals and beating them are two completely is not comparable.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM       
People who are on death row or who have earned a lifetime in prison have IMO lost all their rights as human beings. Fuck their privacy. They have proven themselves as a danger to innocent people.

For all realistic purposes I have to disagree with the death penalty because it is not a deterent, costs lots of money, and give the gov. too much power.

In a perfect world I would say rapists and murders should be violently killed merely for purposes of vengence because I like the idea of it.
Mocker
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
they (sic) only way I support the death penalty is if it is requested by the prisoner.
I wasn't making ANY comparison between being bugged and beaten, jackass. I was just pointing out that a request for death could be coerced.

I sincerely doubt anyone would chose death over a wiretap.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM       
I'll take a page from Marx and say that since the only quantifiable (for purposes of meting out justice) measure of a life is labor power, capital offenders should be put to work as slaves.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM       
There should be no death row! Save space for petty criminals. I'm my eyes someone responsible for first degree murder should be murdered immediateley after conviction of said crime. The crime should fit the punushment (i.e. Stabbing=Stabbing), but only after irrefuteable evidence is given that the person is the murderer.

Would you like to be fucked with in jail for however many years, waiting to die. KNOWING you'll never see anything you cared about before again before you die?

If you had the choice? WOuld you take a gas chamber within 24hours of conviction or 10 years on death row before lethal injection.
Mocker
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:10 AM       
ACLou would have a problem with the bugging.
Blake Stamper is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:39 AM       
If they done that crime, they gotta fry. Not by lectric chair either, burn at the fuckin steak.

If you can burn a flag you sure as hell can burn a man
When you sum it all up, what you get is a highly talented and seasoned performer who will stop at nothing to ensure that his audience is having the time of their life. So, whatever the occasion, call Blake Stamper for the best in country and variety music.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM       
That's very christian of you....typical.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM       
at the steak!
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM       
yeah...tie him to a big 'ol piece of meat and set him on fire!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM       
one time we were making porkchops and one of them lit on fire :O
Mocker
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM       
Ok, so what i'm taking from this thread -

The best justification for the death penalty is that the convict could be cooked and served to the family of the convict's victims.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:37 PM       
Goddamn we need to bring back the chain gangs.
Blake Stamper is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM       
I'd must admit, Ol' Blake here got a little hungry when he wrote that post. I was hankerin' a T-Bone, not Filet Mignon, sounds french, bunch of flamers.

They're pretty gay too.
When you sum it all up, what you get is a highly talented and seasoned performer who will stop at nothing to ensure that his audience is having the time of their life. So, whatever the occasion, call Blake Stamper for the best in country and variety music.