Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM       
You can rationalize or irrationalize unhappiness all you want. It doesn't make a difference as we are human and circumstances and events are going to make us unhappy. Its like convincing yourself that monsters don't exist when your alone in the woods at night. You may know there is no reason to be unhappy, but that doesn't make you happy.

Its what makes life worth living though. Our being human is the only thing that keeps sentience from destroying our minds. Sadness, happiness, anger, hunger and the like are all things we'll always experience and sometimes crave even when we know everything about them. Sadness will go away the day we are no longer human.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:10 PM       
You don't have to be happy all the time to think that life is great.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
Quote:
What about those people who attain happiness by helping the plights of others?
Are you suggesting that people who need people are the happiest people in the woooooooooooooorld

Nobody's the happiest people in the world. Awesome fucking grammer
I can honestly say that I have no idea what you're talking about.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Get your wrist straightned out, and you will cheer at explosions, FS.
That is perhapse the stupidest thing I have seen in a Vinth post, and therefore the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Get your wrists straightened out, and you can slit them, Vince.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:13 AM       
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you suggesting that people who need people are the happiest people in the woooooooooooooorld

Is it because i misspelled grammar? I meant that it is stupid to think that anybody is the happiest person in the world.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:13 AM       
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Obviously didn't catch the reference. :/

To get back on point, here's a quote from M. Scott Peck that I think applies (especially the first paragraph):

Quote:
Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths *. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.

Most do not fully see this truth that life is difficult. Instead they moan more or less incessantly, noisily or subtly, about the enormity of their problems, their burdens, and their difficulties as if life were generally easy, as if life should be easy. They voice their belief, noisily or subtly, that their difficulties represent a unique kind of affliction that should not be and that has somehow been especially visited upon them, or else upon their families, their tribe, their class, their nation, their race or even their species, and not upon others. I know about this moaning because I have done my share.

Life is a series of problems. Do we want to moan about them or solve them? Do we want to teach our children to solve them?

* The first of the "Four Noble Truths" which Buddha taught was "Life is suffering".
I know that there are people with legitimate psychiatric concerns but some people are just "label crazy" about there problems. "Give it a name so I can assure myself it's not my fault and, thus, not my responsibility." That's such BS! People need to discipline themselves and take responsibility.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
ScrewU2wice, you do not have a crappy life. I may not know you personally, but from what I have seen on this site, you are a good person (albeit with a screwed-up sense of humor, but hey, that is 99.9% of the mockers here). Don't wallow in self-pity, because life IS great, and if you feel that it isn't, then it is YOUR job to change it. Do what you want, think how you want, be yourself. These are the keys to happiness (at least, they are for me).
i know that i dont have a crappy life. but still i cant help feeling that im not "succeding" or that many people have better lives than me i try to think it away but it really doesn't help much. Its hard to not think about it... Everyone tells me i have no self-esteem and making fun of me isn't even fun anymore because i just go along and accept what there saying. Life is is good but sometimes i just dont see it like that
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:05 PM       
Well, what is your definition of "success"? Whatever it is, it is only yours to achieve, no one else's. As for the "making fun" part, I have learned to deal with it in different ways. I used to take it to heart, thinking that my life sucked, and the only way out was suicide (granted, I was only 12, but still). I used to believe everything people said about me. I used to take insults about me and my family personally. That was then, this is now. NOW I look at these jokes and I can laugh at them, because I know they are not true, and actually pretty funny. It takes the fun out of it for those insulting me, and I don't get upset by it. I do not expect you to master this overnight, because it took me years to figure out myself, but I hope that you are able to look past the minor details that make your life difficult and see the amazing thigs around you that make life worth living.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:18 PM       
Let's play cut and paste, where you take what everyone has said in this thread and rearrange it so people will get the point more easily.

The issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
but still i cant help feeling that im not "succeding" or that many people have better lives than me
And the replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
People need to discipline themselves and take responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I
it's your own damn fault.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:55 PM       
WOW THAT SOLVES ALL MY SELF-ESTEEM PROBLEMS
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:13 PM       
I used to have self-esteem problems, but then i relised i was a stupid faggot that everyone hated.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:36 PM       
I'm glad I helped you fix your problems. If you ever need additional support, feel free to ask

Just remember that I now own your soul.

Oh, and do you want serious advice? I had poor self-esteem until the middle of this summer - consciously, I thought highly of myself, but everything about my attitude told me there was something wrong with me, and I always felt I was inferior to everyone else in some way. A lot of the problem was that I spent a lot of time deprecating myself because I didn't want to seem arrogant - I know now this was a mistake. Anything negative you say about yourself, even if it's a joke (unless you're being sarcastic and saying something blatantly untrue), will damage your self-image. So stop doing that.

The other thing I did may not sound like a good idea to you or others, but it's what worked for me: I just started looking down on everyone. I didn't act superior or treat them poorly, but I told myself, "look at him, I'm obviously better than him," "that guy on TV might be successful but he's in a really worthless profession," "wow, that dude's ugly, I'm much better looking."

These days I love myself to the point of narcissism and sociopathy - consider that a negative thing if you want, but it works for me, I'm healthier and happier than I ever have been and none of my relationships have suffered.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:43 PM       
Unless i'm once again realizing why i hate someone or why i should stop trying to draw things, life is generally rather snazzy. Just ignore things that don't affect you directly, and try to avoid other people's problems, and you should be golden. Being a nice guy never hurts, either, but life is a lot easier to appreciate when you're an art fag. 8-)

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:57 AM       
I don't think avoiding other people's problems is the answer, b/c then you don't have friends. Everyone has problems. It's realizing that from a stand point of eternity, none of them are as big as they seem and everything works out eventually. Running away just means you can't handle life as opposed to facing them all and taking them on. That is the meat of life.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:59 AM       
I think the world would be a much better place if there were more spicy, barbequed pork rinds to go around!

Wherever you go, there you are.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:15 PM       
Life isn't horrible because mommy wouldn't buy you a GI Joe when you were six.

I want to call drama to my life so people will care, my life is screwed up.