Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 02:56 PM        Halliburton's Deals Greater Than Thought
conspiracy? nahahaha.. noway!
i'm still amazed that the bush administration can cook up and try to fly all sorts of conspiracy thoeries and nobody calls it conspiracies!
uranium, wmds, networks of terror all over the place

so to tell all you conspiracy nuts out there ..Dick Cheney has absolutely nothing to do with Haliburtons war profits, so Back Off you anti-americans, get out if you don't like capitalism!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug27.html
Halliburton's Deals Greater Than Thought

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 28, 2003; Page A01

Halliburton, the company formerly headed by Vice President Cheney, has won contracts worth more than $1.7 billion under Operation Iraqi Freedom and stands to make hundreds of millions more dollars under a no-bid contract awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, according to newly available documents.

The size and scope of the government contracts awarded to Halliburton in connection with the war in Iraq are significantly greater than was previously disclosed and demonstrate the U.S. military's increasing reliance on for-profit corporations to run its logistical operations. Independent experts estimate that as much as one-third of the monthly $3.9 billion cost of keeping U.S. troops in Iraq is going to independent contractors.

Services performed by Halliburton, through its Brown and Root subsidiary, include building and managing military bases, logistical support for the 1,200 intelligence officers hunting Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, delivering mail and producing millions of hot meals. Often dressed in Army fatigues with civilian patches on their shoulders, Halliburton employees and contract personnel have become an integral part of Army life in Iraq.

Spreadsheets drawn up by the Army Joint Munitions Command show that about $1 billion had been allocated to Brown and Root Services through mid-August for contracts associated with Operation Iraqi Freedom, the Pentagon's name for the U.S.-led war and occupation. In addition, the company has earned about $705 million for an initial round of oil field rehabilitation work for the Army Corps of Engineers, a corps spokesman said.

Specific work orders assigned to the subsidiary under Operation Iraqi Freedom include $142 million for base camp operations in Kuwait, $170 million for logistical support for the Iraqi reconstruction effort and $28 million for the construction of prisoner of war camps, the Army spreadsheet shows. The company was also allocated $39 million for building and operating U.S. base camps in Jordan, the existence of which the Pentagon has not previously publicly acknowledged.

Over the past decade, Halliburton, a Houston-based company that made its name servicing pipelines and oil wells, has positioned itself to take advantage of an increasing trend by the federal government to contract out many support operations overseas. It has emerged as the biggest single government contractor in Iraq, followed by such companies as Bechtel, a California-based engineering firm that has won hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. Agency for International Development reconstruction contracts, and Virginia-based DynCorp, which is training the new Iraqi police force.

The government said the practice has been spurred by cutbacks in the military budget and a string of wars since the end of the Cold War that have placed enormous demand on the armed forces.

But, according to Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) and other critics, the Iraq war and occupation have provided a handful of companies with good political connections, particularly Halliburton, with unprecedented money-making opportunities. "The amount of money [earned by Halliburton] is quite staggering, far more than we were originally led to believe," Waxman said. "This is clearly a trend under this administration, and it concerns me because often the privatization of government services ends up costing the taxpayers more money rather than less."

the rest at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug27.html

Phil the anorak is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:06 PM       
They're doing a real good job in Iraq aren't they?

I like the bit about the number of wars cropping up in the midst of cuts to the military budget. Iraq was started by the US government after all.

I'm sure though that had nothing to do with the amazing coincidence that Iraq's oil reserves being the 2nd largest in the world next to Saudi.

Discover a lost art, play marbles at www.marillion.com
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:58 PM       
War profits!

Liberia is like the 14th or 15th largest exporter of oil. Let's see how long it takes Haliburton to land in-country there.

P.S. New technology has provided a way to take advantage of the scads of oil in northern Alberta, Canada. I say we go in and waste all them Canucks and let God sort 'em out!!

Wherever you go, there you are.