Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Nerd is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:53 PM        Peak Oil
As I'm sure a lot of you have already read, Peak Oil is apparently, the end of the world as we know it. And it's going to happen very soon.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html

Scary, no? Even with all the evidence, I'm still skeptic about the whole thing. But I'd be interested to hear what you all have to say about it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM       
Quote:
He stated that fuel cell vehicles would never amount to significant market share. Hydrogen was ruled out as a solution because of intensive costs of production, inherent energy inefficiencies, lack of infrastructure, and practical difficulties such as the extreme cost and difficulty of storage.
Which is exactly what can be said of the situation with gasoline a century ago when automobiles were just making their debut. The change was made, though, because cars were better than buggies.

That website is just a pile of paranoid shit. While it's got a few good bits, it's mostly just a soapbox to advocate reshaping society to fit his vision of everyone living like the Amish.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:07 PM       
1) Those problems with hydrogen aren't insurmountable, they just need more research. Hell, we can store it.

2) When exactly did oil and hydrogen become the only 2 fuel sources on earth?
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:15 PM       
That idiot has no idea what he talking about.

Quote:
Hydrogen was ruled out as a solution because of intensive costs of production
Take a car battery, attach wires to each end, run wires into fishtank. Keep them seperated. See the bubbles? That the splitting of the Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Freaking retard, the most difficult part is harnessing the pure Hydrogen. But that only difficult for home hydrogen makers.
Hell, they where splitting H2O during WW1.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:22 PM       
Ahem, ye unenlightened ones..

1) Hydrogen is not a fuel source. Energy from oil is used to extract hydrogen from water, and the hydrogen is then burned, producing less energy than the conversion process. Fuel cells are an energy storage and transfer medium only. In short, hydrogen has nothing at all to do with the issue.

2) Oil is not the only source of energy we use, but it is the cheapest, most abundant, most technologically viable, and most used. It accounts for a very large percentage of worldwide energy production, and if oil prices rise rapidly no other energy source can make up for that percentage because they are all either a) not economically feasible or b) not technologically possible.

I'm reserving judgment on the issue because at my age and financial status there's not much I can do to prepare myself for it. I think it's more than paranoia, though (please consider their sources and also do a search for rebuttals), and we'll find out for certain in a few years.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:30 PM       
You a bit off with the first one Perndog.

Hydrogen can directly replace Gasoline.

Hydrogen is an explosive (Note the Hindenburg)
But it is also a gas (vapor). A redesign, and complete sealing of a car and engine would be required.

It is more explosive, and packs more punch then Gasoline.
(which is why Car Companies are looking at Hydrogen Fuel Cells and not pure Hydrogen motors)

Any engine forced to put up with the rigors of a Hydrogen fuel source would shake itself apart if not close to perfectly made.

And my above statement is partially correct. You need alot more energy then from a simple battery. Hydroelectric Dams have everything set up to produce Hydrogen, just not compress and hold it.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:39 PM       
"A little about myself: A few months ago, I was a 25 year old law school graduate who found out he had just passed the California Bar Exam. I was excited about a potentially long and prosperous career in the legal profession, getting married, having kids, contributing to my community, and living the "American Dream." "

This is part where I'm like "faggggggggg." And then maybe I'll read the rest someday.

edit: Ok, I read it, and all I can say is FUCK. Seriously, this is insane, and I am so pissed.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:44 PM       
Sigh.

David. Listen to me.

Quote:
Take a car battery, attach wires to each end, run wires into fishtank. Keep them seperated. See the bubbles?
Right. How did you charge the battery in the first place? Batteries don't come out of the ground or the air.

I will repeat myself here. HYDROGEN IS NOT AN ENERGY SOURCE. IT REQUIRES MORE ENERGY TO EXTRACT HYDROGEN THAN IS PRODUCED BY BURNING IT.

Quote:
And my above statement is partially correct. You need alot more energy then from a simple battery. Hydroelectric Dams have everything set up to produce Hydrogen, just not compress and hold it.
Hydroelectric plants produce a very small percentage of the world's energy, dams are expensive to build, and there are only so many places you can build them.

Quote:
Hydrogen can directly replace Gasoline
We're not talking about running cars here, we're talking about everything that requires energy. Energy that is mostly produced by burning oil.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:48 PM       
Isn't nuclear power more efficient than oil?

And, if run properly, a nuclear power plant is a lot more enviormental friendly than oil. The problem is, it has the stigma. Everyone thinks "Chernobyl" or "Three Mile Island".
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:53 PM       
Nuclear (fission) power is more efficient than oil, but there are three problems with it.

1) Uranium is in limited supply too.

2) Nuclear plants produce hazardous waste that is not as abundant as pollution from burning oil and safe if well-contained BUT very difficult to dispose of using current technology.

3) As you said, the stigma. Nuclear power has taken such hits in terms of public opinion and corporate support that here in Minnesota they actually built six coal power plants rather than one new nuclear plant. Yes, coal. Dirty, inefficient, etc.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:00 AM       
well all we have to do is develop a working, efficient cold fusion reactor then

-willie
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:10 AM       
They've been working on that for a while.

But who knows when it will actually be possible. They've been sending letters to the US government for research grants but they're not getting any aid.
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:44 AM       
We can use perpetual motion machines for generating energy.

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM       
regarding hydrogen.. tis true that hydrogen is a storage type fuel created from some other energy.

one of the best sources of hydrogen is solar power.. how many people think the sun won't rise tomorrow? barring the sun blowing up you can depend on making hydrogen many days of the year from water and solar power.. and solar panels last more than 30 years.

imho the hydrogen fuel cell (no combustion) is the way to go for home power generation. the combustion process has a tiny problem with ozone generation but if you live in mexico city or some city with lots of smog the hydrogen combustion process cleans many pollutants from the air making the exhaust cleaner than the intake air

all that aside peak oil problems are almost as bad as the global warming problems coming up.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM       
Quote:
Hydroelectric plants produce a very small percentage of the world's energy, dams are expensive to build, and there are only so many places you can build them.
I forget that most of the U.S. does not have hydroelectric dams. I guess only the Northwest shall benefit from Hydrogen cars.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM       
Canada has hydro dams up the wazoo. You'll take all your orders from us in the New Order.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM       
I fucking HOPE that this really happens. Gonna get myself into some Mad Max-like adventures.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:02 PM       
hehe, max makes an apearance in this peak oil vid

found at: http://www.piratevideo.tv/news/index.php

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM       
Peak makes antifreeze not oil you fags.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:30 PM       
I'm waiting for the sunlight powered vehicles.

And on an unrelated note... wind power is not as damn impressive as you think it does. It takes up a large amount of space, and oil is still required as a backup energy source because of how fickle the weather can be.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM       
No one mentioned wind power, but you're right, and the same goes for solar power. Both are horribly unreliable.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM       
Our best chances are thermal, hydroelectric dams (even if it kills the river) and tidal generators.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:06 AM       
Why not firewood and draft animals?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:58 PM       
wind or solar shouldnt really stand alone.. together they can handle most reasonable household uses. i'll stick with the old lead acid batteries for storage though, hydrogen is a little tricky. this is my preparation for peak oil, um and getting a motorcycle.

oh and tagging suv's for fun with that sticker "I'm changing the Environment, ask me how" - kinda like therapy for the gas hog haters
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM       
All vandals of any kind should be punched in the teeth repeatedly.

As soon as I own a house I will also equip it with solar panels; the problem is that they may run your house but they will be inadequate to sustain industry.