Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM        ECONOMY BOOMS 4.4% ***NOT FOX, NEWSMAX OR DRUDGE***
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040527/D82R03N80.html

Economy Picks Up Pace in First Quarter

May 27, 10:57 AM (ET)

By JEANNINE AVERSA

WASHINGTON (AP) - The economy grew at a 4.4 percent annual rate in the first quarter of this year, slightly faster than previously thought and fresh evidence that the recovery possessed good momentum as it headed into the current quarter.

The increase in gross domestic product from January through March reported by the Commerce Department on Thursday marked an improvement from both the 4.2 percent pace first estimated for the quarter a month ago and the 4.1 percent growth rate registered in the final quarter of 2003.

The GDP measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States. While the latest reading was just shy of the 4.5 percent pace that some analysts were forecasting, it nevertheless represented a solid performance.

Separately, the Labor Department reported that new applications for unemployment benefits dropped last week by a seasonally adjusted 3,000 to 344,000, another hopeful sign for a labor market recovery.

Although consumers and the federal government did their part to support the economy in the first quarter, the better reading on GDP for the period in large part reflected stronger investment by businesses to build up inventories, a good sign that companies are more confident about the economy's prospects.

From April to June, the economy is expected to grow at a rate in the range of 4.5 percent to 5 percent, according to some analysts.

The economy has been among the issues that President Bush and presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry have jousted over in the presidential campaign.

The country has lost a net 1.5 million jobs since Bush took office in January 2001, something Kerry points to as evidence that the president's economic policies aren't working. But Bush says they are, and that the best way to create jobs is to make the economy stronger.

The nation's payrolls, which had been posting lackluster gains, expanded by a sizable 288,000 in April on top of a hefty increase in March, leading some economists to believe that the long awaited for recovery in the labor market was finally coming about.

With the economy growing solidly and inflation beginning to stir, a growing number of economists believe the Federal Reserve may order its first rate increase in more than four years next month. Some, however, believe a rate rise won't come until August or later. The main short-term rate used by the Fed to influence economic activity has been at a 46-year low of 1 percent.

An inflation gauge tied to the GDP report and closely watched by Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan showed that core prices - excluding food and energy - rose at a 1.7 percent rate in the first quarter. Although that was lower than the 2 percent pace first estimated, it still represented a pickup from the 1.2 percent growth rate in the previous quarter.

Consumers, whose spending accounts for roughly two-thirds of all economic activity in the United States, increased their spending in the first quarter at a 3.9 percent rate. That was slightly stronger than previously estimated and up from a 3.2 percent growth rate in the fourth quarter.

Businesses boosted spending on equipment and software in the first quarter at a 9.8 percent rate. While that was less brisk than first estimated and down from a 14.9 percent growth rate in the fourth quarter, it still represented a sizable advance.

Stronger inventory-building by businesses in the first quarter added 0.75 percentage point to the GDP, compared with a 0.27 percentage-point gain first estimated. That marked the largest contribution to GDP from inventories since the third quarter of 2002 and was a key reason why first-quarter GDP was revised upward.

Other reasons: stronger growth in exports during the quarter and a smaller cutback in spending by state and local governments.

Military spending by the federal government grew at a 13.2 percent pace in the first quarter, down from the previous estimate but a big pickup from the previous quarter's 3 percent growth rate.

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:20 AM       
Oh my god! Well that changes everything! I'm gonna go out and slap a Bush-Cheney '04 sticker to my car right now, watch me go!

Your constant article copy-and-pasting has converted me to the side of good ronnie. How could I ever repay you?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:41 AM       
14 of the 17 states concider swing states have yet to experience economic recovery.

The administration plans billion dollar cuts in the department of education, the EPA and Veterans administration for the next budget, should W. win.

The gap between rich and poor contiinues to grow, as does the number of times and average CEO's salary beats yours and mine each year.

W is outsourcing his campaign calls to India.

The economy may well boom. My question is who is it booming for. A rising tide my lift all boats, but the economy is not a tide and people are not boats. That trickle down you feel is the guy in the penthouse peeing on you.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:50 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
14 of the 17 states concider swing states have yet to experience economic recovery.

The administration plans billion dollar cuts in the department of education, the EPA and Veterans administration for the next budget, should W. win.

The gap between rich and poor contiinues to grow, as does the number of times and average CEO's salary beats yours and mine each year.

W is outsourcing his campaign calls to India.

The economy may well boom. My question is who is it booming for. A rising tide my lift all boats, but the economy is not a tide and people are not boats. That trickle down you feel is the guy in the penthouse peeing on you.
Now that Max's pussy has quit flaring up like he is trying out for a part in Jurassic Part 4....

1) The gap between the "rich" and "poor" grows because the rich keep doing what they do to be rich and the poor keep doing what they do to be poor. I know you are a dumb liberal and this idea of "personal responability" is as foreign as a treadmill is to you, but try to keep up.

2) The cuts to education and to the EPA is no big deal. Do they need the massive budgets they need to keep telling us that are kids are too stupid to teach and that we need to live like hermits so we don't destroy precious "Mother Gaia"?
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM       
3/26/04 9:29 AM CST

Those Wacky Japanese.....
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM       
A booming economy is good for everyone, at least in the short term. It has a good bit to do with employment. And whether inequality is on the rise or is weakening has a lot less to do with economic growth than you think it does, although inflationary policies do help.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM       
You are so last month.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM       

http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/we...shots_05272004

Quote:
These are ominous signs, suggesting a new march toward greater inequality in the American economy. Worse, the growth in profits combined with a drop in wage and salary incomes suggest that the recovery has a narrow base, with most American consumers only able to increase their purchasing power through debt. Wage growth is not just fair, it is also necessary for a more sustainable recovery.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM       

the plan is to lower america's citizens to the status of a third world nation and the only way the fascists will succeed at that is to attack education and healthcare with as much vigor as they follow profits because the largest threat to thier plan is an educated working class that is out of work.

8ullfrog is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM        subject? what subject
isn't this all token recovery? I heard the stockmarket is still on the downward spiral. Is there any real recovery?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM       
The stock market goes on a 4-year cycle; throughout its history there has been a substantial sell-off every four years, regardless of the condition of the economy, etc. Using it as a basis for how well or how poorly a government is performing isn't really a valid indicator because there are too many other factors that influence it.

Incidentally, the next big sell-off is due around mid-2006.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:01 PM       
"I heard the stockmarket is still on the downward spiral. Is there any real recovery?" - Frog

It's only about 1000 points below it's all time high.....