Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:19 PM        Bad news for Twin Peaks fans
From tvshowsondvd.com:

In a month we'll be reaching the two-year anniversary since Twin Peaks - Season 1 hit retail stores, to vast critical acclaim. Everyone agreed that this was a high-quality DVD release; with a beautiful job done of remastering (resulting in some of the sharpest video among TV-on-DVD sets ever seen), plus many terrific supplements (read our own review here). Fans who purchased the first season - whether old fans or new to the show - just could not wait to get the second season, and resolve the multiple cliffhangers which ended the first.

The problem, according to our exclusive discussions with Artisan, is that there just weren't enough of you. TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey recently spoke to the studio, where it was finally revealed to him that sales figures for the first season - while decent - just were not profitable enough to cover the high production costs of the Season 1 set.

There have been other TV-DVD releases, which didn't sell enough to justify continuing (Columbia's The Larry Sanders Show and Fox's The Mary Tyler Moore Show are the best-known examples). As with those, Artisan couldn't make the numbers make sense for moving forward with a Season 2 release. Especially given the general consensus that the second season went "downhill" after the Laura Palmer murder was solved. They tried and tried, as is evidenced by all the rumors we've heard for two years. It just hasn't worked out, though.

We've heard from a significant number of consumers that they don't want to purchase first seasons of any show until the studios demonstrate that they are willing to release further seasons, so they (the buyers) don't get caught without the full run of a TV Show. Gord and I have long maintained that this is a bad strategy for consumers, since studios definitely won't continue to release product that nobody's buying. Twin Peaks seems to have fallen victim to this curse.

There are still perhaps a couple of hopes, though. Here are some facts: Lion's Gate has recently bought Artisan for $160 million. And Paramount owns overseas rights to Twin Peaks - Season 2, and had previously indicated that it would be brought out in different foreign markets (Germany for instance)...but release dates haven't ever been named, and those releases seem to have similarly stalled. Put these facts together, and maybe we have a future where Lion's Gate can perhaps figure out a budget strategy that works to reduce production costs by using resources they bring to the table, and then maybe Lion's Gate/Artisan can work out a deal with Paramount to jointly fund the project, so that each studio can profit in their different markets. I should quickly point out, though, that this is a LOT of "maybes" and wishful thinking, and that to our knowledge the named studios have discussed no such plans. They are possibilities, nothing more. But the hope IS there.

We'll have to wait and see if it's still possible to save Agent Cooper's life, and also find out who killed Laura Palmer...stay tuned, and if anything develops on the Twin Peaks front, we'll get word to you. In the meantime, drink a damn fine cup of coffee, have a donut, and go get off your holster and buy the Season 1 set. Already have one? Good...the holiday season is coming, so it's a great opportunity to give one to a friend! Renewed sales can only help.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM       
Damnit! I really really want season 2 to come out. It's just too good of a show to not be released in its entirety.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:31 PM       
I know, it's a fucking crime against humanity not to release it.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:37 PM       
Now I might have to just buy the other ones on video. Glad I rented them all from Fan Video not too long ago.

Professor Cool is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM       
Dammit
Dammit
Dammit

I guess a petition is useless now.

This is what I have since I am too cheap to pay for a livejournal

"Professor Cool is Cool, yet unorganized," said one student
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:33 PM       
Just why the hell didn't they put the whole series out when they had the chance? Seriously, it would make more sense and possibly would have attracted more people if they put the COMPLETE series out on DVD instead of separating the seasons. Sure, it would have cost more money, but it's a lot more attractive for a show that only lasted two seasons in the first place.

Business plan indeed. Artisan doesn't know what the fuck it was doing in the first place. If they were going to spend a lot of money on extras for the first season, they might as well said 'hell with it' and just gone and did the whole series. It baffles me how the fucked up with this.

Money schmoney, if they did the whole series they would still be out, but at least they wouldn't have a set that won't sell now that Season Two has been given the shaft. Companies got to learn that some series won't work with the usual season releases, and that it's easier just to put it all on DVD in the first place and let it go from there. Geez!
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:30 AM       
I'm glad I have them all on tape, but I've been spoiled by the transfer of the dvd

I hope more people go buy season 1
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:14 AM       
Think it's too late now.
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:10 PM       
Quote:
get off your holster and buy the Season 1 set. Already have one? Good...the holiday season is coming, so it's a great opportunity to give one to a friend! Renewed sales can only help.
I still see it in stores, I don't think it's too late.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM       
It's not too late. I'm going to buy Season 1 myself as soon as I can. I was holding off, but now I see that I should waste no time.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:30 PM       
IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE RUINED IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

And me.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 02:08 AM       
Two very good threads that shed a little more light on this subject:

http://www.2000revue.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2225

A Spanish DVD set of Twin Peaks exists that has EVERY episode, including the pilot:

http://www.2000revue.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2235