Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:15 AM       
skipped hand that feeds. Nothing there for me.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM       
love is not enough - really... nothing going on here either. This is what I expected NIN music to be like. it uh, sounds like a digitally-clipped song from the 80's new wave scene, only 'darker'. Forgettable indeed.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:23 AM       
every day is exactly the same - this is where the constant self-reference in the lyrics is starting to get to me. Okay, I get it, not all music is supposed to be theatrical but he's completely oversatating the HE in fact, the person with the voice, is Trent Reznor, fucked-up american number one, and presupposes anyone listening cares. If you are gonna sing about your problems, at least draw the people in. By good lyric, interesting metaphor, or just all-out honesty. this is none of all that. Just boring me with how 'every day is exactly the same'. Too much 'I' in there, no room for the listener. The music is boring too.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM       
with teeth - nothing going on. rediculous lyrics. sounds like a fragmented outtake from a jam by bauhaus, if they were american, stupid, and millionares. If I only had that to go on, I really would never understand how this man became so famous. This is where I start to get tired with this record. Que predictable keyboard part in the middle. The 'burst' doesn't work because it goes from an established level of noise to 'quiet' keyboard, and then back to the level of noise before. For this to work, it would have to go NUTS after coming back. Wimpy as it is.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:34 AM       
only - what, irony? Good! Better than nothing. The spoken isn't good, but it's a welcome departure from his singing up to here. I don't see how this is significantly different from the rest of the material in the album, besides the extra cheese on the keyboards. Again... shouting? Why? Stop. Why does this music fail to excite me or captivate me in the least? Is there something wrong with me? It's just angular without being edgy, it's overproduced without sounding full and it drags and drags on.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:37 AM       
Getting smaller - will this be the next single or something? Sounds produced exactly for that purpose. Standard quiet - loud - quiet - loud 'progression'. Angsy lyrics anyone can relate to (if his heart has died and his soul has long fled the charred, jagged remains) digestible, fast-food music.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:42 AM       
sunspots - interchangable with any other bad song on this record. God, I want to stop listening to this record now.

I've been thinking about a person's mentality. A person that would perhaps come to this forum and call me a LOOSER because this song is in fact his 'favuorite song in teh whoel waide world'. I've been thinking of how could this be possible. I guess you'd have to listen to some really crappy music for this to classify as good, but your favourite? I just can't figure it out. It's not even remotely catchy, or captivating or anything. Bye bye.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:46 AM       
The Line Begins to Blur - I now know how to write a Trent song. In act, I'd go so far as to say I've uncovered the exact formula of how he does it. Take two parts. One has more fuzz, one has less. One has a big beat, the other has piano. One has the singer trying to sound pissed off, one has him trying to sing about his feelings. Then add a melodic or quiet or whatever bridge after you've swapped between those two parts twice. Then something happens (not always) and then it's back to these two parts. This is fucked.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:51 AM       
beside you in time - these are not guitars humming, rez, but ok, no biggie. I actually like the gapper a lot on this one. It seems to lead to something. I don't know what that something is, I'm not there yet, but I'll be sure to let you know when it hits! Ok, it's close now! On! And On! And On! On! On! Ok I'm sure it's just about to happen! Oh god this is gonna explode!

Oh the beat went away. It's just the keyboards swelling now. And swelling. Now the beat is back! And now the gapper is back! It
s like, it's like, we never went anywhere! and now that all expectations have been promptly extinguished, this song changes, without much overstatement, without much else to say. Not sure if it's a bad or a good thing. This might be the third track on this album I like. It could use a few more ideas tho. And the gapper does get to you by the end.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM       
Right where it belongs - yeah this song is right where it belongs. It's on a mediocre at best record by a hugely overrated musician with too few things to say but too much time to go about it. In the lyrics, now he's in 'you' mode and that's even worse than his 'I' mode. Although he's still talking to himself. Nothing happens in this song either. The song just becomes unmuted and people cheer. They cheer because the album is almost over and they can go home soon? Could be.

I am going to delete this record now. I didn't pay anything for it, I downloaded it off of the internet. It would mean very little for me in terms of hd space to just keep it and listen to it once every 4 years or something. But I am gonna delete it anyway. This should tell you of my overall impression.

Ok, no more mini posts.

felix_tibs is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM       
Thank you for the review, i appreciate semi intelligent insight into this upcoming album. I am waiting for the release, i am assuming you guys all have ripped versions then? I also assume no one will admit it, but...umm..is it a BT thang?

Edit-Helm that was an awful review. You listened to the wrong album...
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM       
i wasnt sure what it was, but i assumed it was a filter fest on his guitar and it almost sounded like it anyway.

it's interesting to read your song reviews against mine, because they can get pretty different and i forgot what the album sounds like by now, so i'm wondering what made sunspots sound so bad to you that i didnt find offensive. ah well. i'll find out later...

you made a huge mistake, though, helm. dont listen to his lyrics. i can't without turning him off immediately or simmering silently until i explode and tell my friends that man is full of shit. just let it go with the music and see if it blends in well enough.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM       
He never did a better album than the Quake soundtrack, unless it was Broken.
Mocker

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM       
the quake soundtrack was great! BBBZZZZTTTT DOUBLE DAMAGE GWANG GWANG WGANK KAPOW SATAN SCREEEEEAAAMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!

Anyway I can't not listen to the lyrics! They're right there! Do I turn off the cognitive part of my brain when I listen to his music or what?

maybe sunspot isn't so bad if you listen to it fresh first. But after all these songs, just because it isn't brilliant it makes you want to kill yourself. It's amazing how a single cd of 60 minutes can have so much filler on it. This cd would make a decent 3-song ep or something.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:44 PM       
I can understand music is therapeutic for the people who are depressive but why be depressed when you've got money and fame? Reznor has it better than most, what does he have to complain about? Unless he's in it for marketing, then he's damned clever. It would make sense if he's more of a businessman than a musician with the music he puts out.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
I can understand music is therapeutic for the people who are depressive but why be depressed when you've got money and fame?.
:/
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM       
Thank you for your valid input. I see thiongs much clearly now that you pointed out my stupidity instead of helping me understand that money and fame isn't everything you are better than everyone I love you I worship you I will bow down and kiss your feet
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM       
Actualyl I think Reznor would be one of the first to tell you he's got it pretty good. And while depression and angst are fueled by misery, their source is neurological. Take the worst manic depressive. Give them everything they could ever want, and they'd still get sad for no fucking reason sometimes.
Mocker

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM       
yeah depression is I think considered an illness, not always causal. Personally I think Trent isn't depressed at all.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM       
manic depression is a frustrating mess
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM       
chronically bored is more likely.
Mocker

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:39 AM       
I think inferiority complex.

felix_tibs is probably a spambot
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM       
The dual dis is alot if fun. The DVD-A disc has the full lineage of NIN music with smaples from each album. Also included are the videos. Iwas really impressed by the 5 channel upmixing they did, it really creates a new feel for the music, much more submersive.

This review is being written as I listen to each track for the first time.

Track 1-All The Love In the World.
Mellow and quirky and thouroughly enjoyable, a great way to start off the album. It is kind of a gentle start to what I invision to be a bumpy ride. The new style of TRent's music is present with this album as he uses higher octaves and sings a bit to what can only be desscrobed as down tempo house music.

Track 2-You know what you are
AT First I thought my speakers were busted as the feedback is insane for this track. Turns out its just Trent messing with us. Kinda nice, a little tense though and difficult to enjoy. The NIN style I was afraid had morphed into a new pop-ish quality was back in full, Simultaneously pleasing and offending the ears.

Track 3-The Collector
My God this is a strange album...One minute it is one thing than it is another. This track is very simialar to a new age punk song with classic Angry Trent lyrics. Has a much more instrumental feel than anything since the Broken Album.

Track 4- Hand That Feeds
It sounds incredible with the 5.1 setup. There are so many times I have turned around thinking I heard something when it was just an effect. The track is solid as a single and it does represent the style of the album well with its more mainstream dance style. I could see this at a club or a car commercial or some shit. Trent is adapting to the ever changing music scene, and doing well.

Track 5-Love is not Enough
He sure is talking alot about love in this album. This is like a track from broken again, this time maybe during one of Trent's maniac episodes. A good track your girlfriend could listen to and not hate. A great track overall, one of my favorites.

Track 6-Everyday is Exactly the Same
Ahhh, finally some deep dark industrial style beats. Brings me back to the Downward Spiral days. Brilliant, so far possibly the best on the album. Smooth and easy like a Larami slim, this track is a standout for its ease of listening and melodic rhythm. It is however a little long and fluffy to hold the excitement throughout the track.

Track 7-With Teeth
A catchy track named for the album, he pronounces Teeth funny. This album is so far rock solid as far as setting a theme and developing it. Not quite as angry as the rest of the tracks, With Teeth is the perfect intermission song, not too much fluff or anger. More of the same really...

Track 8- ONLY
This track is funny and funky at the same time. Has a great sound and humor to it. SOunds very much like...you know that band...with the hair and faces... WHatever it sounds like, its NIN and it rox. New favortite track. SUicidal Tendencies maybe? Again has great dancing capabilities and mainstream beat to it.

Track 9- Getting Smaller
More of the pop style rock, very Foo FIghter-esque. Rocking but not meaningful really. Not much to say...I was looking for a paper clip...clogged piece.

Track 10- SUnspots
Ok, now this sounds like Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun". Deep dark treacherous beat to it that I love. I kinda miss the music you could kill a person to like from PHM or Broken. So sweet, i want to see a video for this track.

Track 11-The Line Begins to Blur
Mmmm, kinda dreary and boring. A lil bit too much like the rest to standout or even warrant a review. Filler, im not sure I understand this piece just yet.

Track 12-Beside you in Time
You can tell this is a prep track, mostly instrumental but with a frequent and intrusive pulse sound. Just kinda monotone ranting

Track 13-Right Where iT belongs
The track. THE OFFICAL TRACK of the album IMO. As with most of his albums, he ties it together at the end with anice soothing piano track. This one is by far the most melodic and inspiring yet of the bunch(La MEr, Hurt). Has a nice message and perhaps the most ear pleasing track Trent has released in ages. You could ask someone to marry you with this track playing .

And there you have it, WIth Teeth, A great album with a clear and decsive message. No more are the days of pain and suffering, Trent is feeling good and wants us to feel well too. It has dance qualities to it, and piano tracks as well. The hand that feeds is a great single and fits in well in its place on this . "Right Were It Belongs" is astounding and brings a tear to the eye. Definitely buy the Dual Disc as the extra features are really neat.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM       
In case you haven't heard this yet, I think this was pretty goddamned funny:
http://www.nathanchase.com/2005/04/g...arker-jrs.html
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:57 PM       

lifted from playlouder:

"If you really need to spend any money on an album where a multi-millionaire relentlessly tells you how remorselessly shit life is; make it this one"

that said, i'm warming up to it. or at least spending more time with it then i thought i would be.i thought i was being fairly generous giving it a 7, but now that seems about right.
i enjoy it when i hear it, i like to mix individual songs into mixes i take when i go out, and thats about it.