Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM       
Kevin, jokes aside, did you ever say who all or what all your group does direct mail for? Does it have a slant, or iis it just for hire?

Oh, and how do you sleep at night?

Kidding, kidding, just kidding.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM       
It has a slant, a liberal one.

And no, I never said who it is.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM       
I didn't mean you should say who it was, just if it was strictly gun for hire stuff or if it had a leaning. No wonder your sour on liberalism. I would be too.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM       
They were hitting hard with the phone solicitations in California. Hillary and Bill, Arnold, Kerry, Pelosi...they were all calling. Al Gore was calling me on an hourly basis sweating my vote. I guess they didn't hear I'm on the No Call list? (hey Max, don't feel bad, I couldn't get Al to talk about the issues either).

But yeah - It really did reach the point of harrassment. Fuck the war, I voted according to the candidates stance on phone marketing.

I vote absentee, and I'm still getting the booklets AFTER the election. Sometimes even the ballots. I reached out to the Secretary of States election fraud dept. , and while they opened an investigation, it wasn't very clear as to wether or not they had to count the absentees at all. Supposedly, it's a district choice, and changes county to country, and it's the City elections offices who decide how they proctor elections or submit votes within set guidelines. I'm pretty sure my vote is regularly trashed because of petty local politics.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I didn't mean you should say who it was, just if it was strictly gun for hire stuff or if it had a leaning. No wonder your sour on liberalism. I would be too.
yeah, not gun for hire. Mostly liberal interest groups and a few Dems here and there.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM       
i live in california and we haven't received a single ballot or any information about voting other than a "TO THE BUZBY RESIDENCE" your voting location is here! We aren't the buzbies though.

Maybe because we live in a republican city or something?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM       
I voted provisionally because i am so not driving an hour each way to get to a voting booth to wait an hour. And because I was way too busy or something to reregister before.

This absentee votes not being counted business is TROUBLESOME though can someone please source/corfirm/deny that ;< That's what I was gonna do next year cause fuck lines ;<
Mocker

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM       
Maybe Kahl. It's always hard to tell when California is corrupt or just incompetent.

I know I had to sign an affidavit form of some sort requesting to vote - even though I had already voted in numerous elections...and I promptly recieved a summons for Jury Duty as a reward.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM       
we just reregistered to vote like a few months ago, so I don't understand what's going on exactly. It's weird because neither my girlfriend nor I got a single piece of information. Although we did get a phonecall reminding us to vote. Thanks america.
Mocker

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM       
I can only really speak on my experience with San Francisco, where they have since started to do recounts on half the local elections. I don't know if it was in part due to my complaint or what, but they have started making a big deal about counting absentees, and how drastically different the vote counts are turning out. What's still implied, and what the State told me was that most elections offices only bother to count the absentees if the election is close...meaning they don't do it until after the polls have closed. It's my understanding that it's up to the local office's discretion on how they handle them.

I went to a Bay Area politics insider message board and posted to see if there were others having the same problem, and got accused of voter fraud. So even though the State allows what's called "permanent absentees" there is a line of thinking that this is somehow illegal, and people like me (who own property and keep a residence there) should serve jail time for it.

Another story I can share - about two years ago, the elections committee there asked to use an Irish Bar in a building my family owns, as a voter location. Not the library, post office, banks, or various community centers in the area, they picked a dive bar with an alley entrance. The electronic ballot boxes were dropped off the night before, left outside the door until the next day - and the voting was proctored by a couple voulenteers from the neighborhood with photocopy lists of names they were crossing off with pencil. There were several ballot boxes they never put out, that were just hanging out. Scary shit!

The ballots do have a receipt, and you can inquire if your vote was counted - but I couldn't find what the hell I did with mine.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM       
I didn't vote this year

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
just wondering, how would you react if republicans retain the control of house and senate, especially after what we've witnessed in the foley scandal and the waning support for iraq war?
How WILL you react when that happens? It's gonna.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM       
Dems are poised to win the Senate. Incredible.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM       
it only took me 30min to vote today. hayworth lost! yes!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
just wondering, how would you react if republicans retain the control of house and senate, especially after what we've witnessed in the foley scandal and the waning support for iraq war?
How WILL you react when that happens? It's gonna.
Oops!

I can't believe it...we've gotten our first black governer in massachusetts.

I really thought there was going to be a massive voting fraud with all the problems facing yesterday but I guess it wasn't enough for the republicans.

Heres hoping for a party in the house that's not as morally bankrupted and insane as GOPs, and will TAKE ACTION against corruption, instead of taking part in it. If democrats sweep up senate as well then the next two years is going to be veeery interesting. Cheney must be furious right now
Mocker
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM       
Tell it, Bruce! DLC! DLC!

http://www.slate.com/id/2153167/#Painkiller

Happy Nights
Why Democrats won for a change.

By Bruce Reed

Updated Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2006, at 12:03 AM ET
Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2006

Painkiller: Going into tonight, Democrats had celebrated a grand total of three truly happy Election Nights—1986, 1992, 1996—in the past three decades and three truly miserable ones in this decade alone. So, for Democrats, an election in which we were destined to win back the House and a majority of governorships for the first time in 12 years is more than a good night. It's a new lease on life.

On Election Night six years ago, my long-suffering wife and I stood in the rain in Nashville. I had just broken my shoulder playing touch football, but that was what hurt the least. Two years ago, we stood in the freezing cold in Boston. I'd just lacerated my wrist but had to share all my painkillers with the Kerry-Edwards staff. This year, we skipped the emergency room and spent the evening at the happiest place in town—the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's victory party on Capitol Hill. No painkillers necessary: Democrats were partying like it was 1992.

After six years during which the Democratic Party lost two straight presidential elections it should have won, lost the Senate, and lost ground in the House, tonight's triumph felt like the weight of a giant Rovian albatross finally being lifted off our necks. Democrats are so accustomed to having the football snatched away at the last minute, this year we actually ran a congressional candidate named Charlie Brown—and we still can't believe we finally get to watch the other side kick the dust and mutter, "Good grief."

For a party that had been on such a cold streak, tonight's victory provided clues to two of political life's eternal questions: How come we won this time? And what can we do to make sure it happens again?

In one sense, the answer to the first question is easy: Democrats never had a chance to blow this election because Republicans blew it first. Nancy Pelosi and Rahm Emanuel won't thank Bush by name, but they could. The president and his party have dedicated his entire second term to electing a Democratic Congress, from Iraq to Katrina, Schiavo to Miers, Ney to DeLay. It now looks like Bush, not Iraq, is the one who's just a comma—a presidency that was on the brink of failure before 9/11 and in the voters' eyes has now officially found its way back there.

But give Democrats credit. Apart from a foolish summer fling with Ned Lamont and a late Laugh-In cameo from John Kerry, Democrats did just about everything right and ran their best campaign in a decade. Field marshals Rahm Emanuel and Chuck Schumer ignored the virtual industry of self-help nonsense that has paralyzed Democrats' chattering classes and went back to a simple, proven formula: From the suburbs to the heartland, elections are won in the center.

Emanuel and Schumer went out of their way to recruit candidates that could put the party's best face forward in otherwise-hostile territory. Despite pressure from various interests, they refused to impose ideological litmus tests. The result? Democrats did the opposite of what Republicans have been doing (and what losing Democratic campaigns usually do). Instead of shrinking their tent, Democrats made their big tent a lot bigger.

Winners like Heath Schuler of North Carolina, Brad Ellsworth of Indiana, and Gabby Giffords of Arizona are straight out of centrist casting—candidates with broad appeal who have put Democrats back on the map in red districts that the party hasn't won in years. With mainstream Democratic candidates who weren't vulnerable on values and weren't afraid to hit back when attacked, Republican social issues were the wedge that didn't bark.

Against Bob Casey, Rick Santorum spent more than $20 million to lose a swing state by over 20 points. (Santorum did, however, get one of the biggest cheers of the night at the DCCC party—for his concession speech.)

In fact, the best news of the 2006 elections is the opportunity it gives Democrats to earn the lasting support of the independents and disgruntled Republicans whose votes just dropped in our laps. Tuesday was the death knell for Rovism—the quaint and now fully discredited theory that majorities are built not by expanding support with ideas that work but by mobilizing extreme minorities with ideas that aren't meant to be enacted and wouldn't work if they did.

Ever since watching Rove's success in 2002 and 2004, some on the left and in the blogosphere have been trying to persuade the Democratic Party to follow suit and develop our own smashmouth politics aimed less at persuasion and more at motivating our base. As Lamont discovered, that approach wins primaries—but as Joe Lieberman showed him, that's no match for pragmatic problem solving in a general election.

Today's elections, fought in territory where the Democratic Party needed to expand its reach, showed how many swing voters there are—enough to turn districts, states, and even entire houses of Congress. As Republicans found out the hard way, the elections also proved that parties can't count on any American's vote if they can't solve the country's problems. That's the most important lesson Democrats learned this year: It is better to beat Rove than to join him.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM       
So, what are they going to change? Why is Cheney pissed? Is there some legislation that will or won't get passed?

Did they win seats on merit, or simply because they yelled" Hey, that guy was with Bush!"?

Is social security going to be fixed? Is healthcare going to be addressed? What about Iraq? National security? Immigration?

What is going to change?

Wait, lets rephrase that....what will improve?
Mocker
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Did they win seats on merit, or simply because they yelled" Hey, that guy was with Bush!"?
This is a kind of funny argument. How often do any politicians get elected because they're super awesome?
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM       
What was improving before? I don't have what you'd call high hopes for improvement. I just want to slow down the bleeding a little in terms of congress ceding al authority to the executive without even saying 'uhm... hey... now."

In any case, it all remains to be seen.

Oh, and I am pleasantly surprised to find myself wrong about the House. Anybody have ideas about wether wee talking hours, days or weeks efore we know the senate results?
Mocker
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM       
I've heard we might hear about Montana as soon as today, not accounting for any lawsuits.

I think Virginia will be a mess. It's within the margin of a state financed recount, so we'll see.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM       
I've never understood why recounts in the U.S. take so long. In Canada, polls close at 8pm and all votes across the country are counted by 10pm. If a recount is needed, they do it right away, even if they're counting all night. :/

And I don't think anyone has ever sued anyone else because they lost or whatever.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
So, what are they going to change? Why is Cheney pissed? Is there some legislation that will or won't get passed?

Is social security going to be fixed? Is healthcare going to be addressed? What about Iraq? National security? Immigration?

What is going to change?

Wait, lets rephrase that....what will improve?
Payback Time: Who the Democrats Will Target

November 08, 2006 8:24 AM

Rhonda Schwartz Reports:

Halliburton, the CIA and big tobacco companies are among the early targets identified by top Democratic staff to ABC News as likely targets for investigation once the Democrats take control of the House at the beginning of next year.

The staffers say Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), now expected to become speaker, has told top Democratic donors there is a "100-hour agenda" she wants to push through -- taking on the minimum wage, drug and energy prices and corruption.

Defense contractors, including Halliburton, the intelligence rationale for the war in Iraq and CIA secret prisons are what one staffer called "uninvestigated scandals."

Here's a look at who's in line to take over the most powerful committee chairmanships and the investigations they are likely to pursue:

In the House:

Henry Waxman (D-Calif.): Described as "a pit-bull with a fantastic staff," Rep. Waxman is in place to take over as chairman of the powerful House Government Reform Committee. Insiders look for this to become the powerhouse investigating committee "where the action is at." Expect Rep. Waxman to start by issuing subpoenas for top Halliburton and KBR executives. Others issues will include Iraq war contracting and Katrina and Gulf Coast re-building.

The last time executives from tobacco companies were called to testify was when Congressman Waxman was Chairman of the Health and Environment Subcommittee of Government Reform in 1994.

Jane Harman (D-Calif.): As a possibility for Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Rep. Harman is eager to pursue the ties between convicted Congressman Duke Cunningham and defense contractors. But she is far from assured of taking over as chair of the committee due to long-standing opposition by the Congressional Black Caucus and Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.) who wants the job himself. Insiders say the job most likely goes to Sylvester Reyes (D-Texas).

Regardless of who is chairman, one of the first issues most likely will be the Cunningham scandal. Also on the agenda is pre-war intelligence: Who forged the Niger documents?

George Miller (D-Calif.): Rep. Miller is slated to take over the Education and the Workforce Committee. Expect a full rehearing of allegations involving convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff, the Northern Marianas Islands and Tom Delay.

John Conyers (D-Mich.): Rep. Conyers is in line to take over the Judiciary Committee. While one top hill staffer says, "His appetite for true investigation is untested," his new book takes on President Bush for violating the law on Iraq and secret prisons. Internet blogs are hyperventilating about possible impeachment hearings.

John Dingell (D-Mich.): In line for the Chairman of the House Commerce Committee, Rep. Dingell's office says he plans to hold oversight hearings on Medicare and energy policies. His first goal would be to push through a bill aimed at lower prescription drug prices for Medicare.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM       
No, both Haliburton and Big Tobacco fund the Dems. Empty threats.

CIA, good luck with that.

And am I alone in not being wild with terms like "payback" being thrown about when there are real concerns to be addressed?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Haliburton investigated, but it just won't happen.
BANNED

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM       
i dont know elblanco that article looked like a farce to me.
Mocker
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM       
Pic of the night:

I don't know why Santorum's crying children brings me such joy.