Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:24 PM        stuff i've been checking out
i went into this bizzare mood this week and asked everyone i know (and dont know) about anything i should listen to. i ask you guys to also tell me what to download because i'm still feeling it.. anyway. based on thin recommendations:

LCD soundsystem - random stuff (so i'm hella late, sue me. i usually wait for stuff to come to me. but now i've found something that sounds better than sound.)

Massive Attack - Danny the Dog (soundtrack to a movie of the same name, fortunately sounds more like mezz than 100th window, which is good, since mezzanine was perfect. clever percusion style intact and great ambience for a movie)

the earlies - self titled. one man and a lot of good reviews had me listen to a couple tracks hosted by the BBC, sounds like a more electronic, a more focused and psyched out beta band. thought they were a bit too spacey, but then again, i've only heard two songs.

Junior Boys - Last Exit. one of the rare electronic duos that is (gasp!) completely electronic! as in not trying to use instruments for the sake of indie cred crossover-ing. precise, effective rhythms flow with great hooks and melodies. the music and vocals, like the album cover, is sparse, much too sparse to have it fit in a room with any color, but it's an excellent album for the right mood. 8/10

arcade fire - funeral. lots of hype around this one. almost insurmountable. finally got it downloaded and i am not impressed at all. decent pop that cant win me over because the frantic vocal delivery gets on ny NERVES. sounds quite good when the guy calms down and IF they manage to avoid showing off that they constantly hit the same note on guitar or piano. i want to like it, because it has merits, but i just can't right now.)

M83 - M83 (first album. dont like it. scattered, dont like the beats, bad sound? very glad they did "dead cities.." after that.)

Dungen (i'm always hesitant about hype exploding for a band based on one review by pitchfork, but i got a couple tracks and it sounds like a scandinavian version of the flaming lips, and in this case it's a good thing... i'll have to see how the album stands up as a cohesive work, but i want to investigate this one now.)

kaiser cheifs (some indie band in leeds someone gave me a link to that i quite like. it rocks, it's fun, and thats it. check this link out: http://www.kaiserchiefs.co.uk/music/...rday_night.mp3)

Lali puna - faking the books (pop stuff i finally got around to... not life shattering but really solid music. have it downloaded but i'll buy it used)

Fatboy Slim - Palookaville (i've been with norman since 96. one of the first people i really liked, and still have a soft spot despite that it's from junior high and "halfway.." kinda blew. so as someone who has bias for him, i'll say it's average. but really, it blows. it depresses me.)

prodigy - always outnumbered never outgunned (a month with this album and i'm also reminded about how my early favorites have fallen.. at least the chem bros are still hanging. well, hanging better than Howlett at any rate. shit, it's not a bad record, but couldnt we have been quicker and released this five years ago? it would have owned. but now it's a bit dull. i keep putting it on for some strange reason, and i know i wont like it more than to give it a 7/10, but it just finds its way there)

ratatat - s/t (everyone talks about how stompin' "seventeen years" and "germany to germany " is, which is way true, but does anyone notice the rest of this album is really dull. jacked up guitars with beats have have their moments, but doesnt stand for an album.

mum - dusk log ep (first track is the best track, which means it's tough to like the other songs on their own rather than "not as awesome as the first" has one of the stronger, if the most depressing songs from their new lp. "boots of fog" gives good visuals, but i dont know if i'll end up buying it or not.)
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:05 AM       
fbs' last cd wasnt anything great either ( gutter and stars )

but you've come a long way baby will always have a special place in my heart
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM       
better living through chemistry (best album by fbs, total classic to me)

anyway

got pm'ed about a group called:

The Go! Team - checked them out and they sound like the avalanches with more heart, less craft, and guitars. sloppy, messy, loud and under-produced, they pander to indie people who insist that they be "fun," but they're honest about what they do, so i dont hate them for it. so, really loud shit to get your feet shuffling about in public to.

the Streets - a grand dont come for free (way late on this one, but i didnt like original pirate material, so i wasnt hot to listen to it. i've changed my attitude since though, and focused on the lyrics first and music second, which is wierd for me, and lemme tell you, this album is great. more than great.

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:52 AM        re:
Here's my current pile...

Wooden Wand And The Vanishing Voice - Xiao (Totally passionate and affected free-psych experimentalists create a truly warped LP of Sonic Youth meets Sunburned Hand Of The Man tracks that sometimes outdo their sources of inspiration. Fuck Daydream Nation and Headdress! Get this!)

John Wiese - Bubble Pulse (Reminds me of a less noisy, more laidback "Magical Crystal Blah". Kind of like the cut-up and edited and cut up again and edited again sounds of an underground hornet's nest.)

Burmese/Fistula - Split (Two of the only metal bands I give half a shit about. Burmese offer up more abstract tracks of searing feedback, ticklish buzzing, low-end drones, and blasts of pissed off kicking and screaming. Like Sunn0))) meets Today Is The Day? Fistula are much more straightforward with their Sabbath/marijuana worship, but still quite good.)

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti 2 - The Doldrums (I have had this in the cd-player in my car pretty much nonstop for the past week or two. It's one guy somehow conjuring up some of the most groundbreakingly produced experimental pop that I've ever heard. He brings to mind all of the creepy songs you hear on lost AM stations at night being redone by members of My Bloody Valentine, The Residents, and Joy Division. Possible album of the year for me!)

Mammal and Iovae - How To Kill (I was so psyched to hear a collaboration between the mighty epileptic noise god Iovae and the boombap lord Mammal that I'm very surprised it didn't end up in disappointment! However, this 20-minute cassette lives up to expectations as it makes heavy use of the ear-shredding "hell frequency" and makes my eyes roll into the back of my head with each listen.)

Some other things I've been listening to here and there...

Devillock - Melt Your Face
Brian Wilson - Smile
Panicsville - Perverse
Lou Reed - Transformer
Quintron - The Frog Tape
Gays In The Military - Meat Gazers
And mixing the fuck out of my upcoming split cassette with Owlconer.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM       
I been going through a Queen obession. Nothing special. :/
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM       
Quote:
prodigy - always outnumbered never outgunned (a month with this album and i'm also reminded about how my early favorites have fallen.. at least the chem bros are still hanging. well, hanging better than Howlett at any rate. shit, it's not a bad record, but couldnt we have been quicker and released this five years ago? it would have owned. but now it's a bit dull. i keep putting it on for some strange reason, and i know i wont like it more than to give it a 7/10, but it just finds its way there)
Agreed, but the song spitfire is brilliant imo.

Here are a few songs for your listening pleasure....

David hasslehoff - Pingu Dance (quite possibly the most irritateing song ever)

Bugsy malone soundtrack - So you wanna be a boxer

Rage against the machine - ACDC Tribute (somethign actualy quite good just for the hell of it.)
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM        Re: re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron mitchell
Here's my current pile...

Wooden Wand And The Vanishing Voice - Xiao (Totally passionate and affected free-psych experimentalists create a truly warped LP of Sonic Youth meets Sunburned Hand Of The Man tracks that sometimes outdo their sources of inspiration. Fuck Daydream Nation and Headdress! Get this!)

John Wiese - Bubble Pulse (Reminds me of a less noisy, more laidback "Magical Crystal Blah". Kind of like the cut-up and edited and cut up again and edited again sounds of an underground hornet's nest.)

Burmese/Fistula - Split (Two of the only metal bands I give half a shit about. Burmese offer up more abstract tracks of searing feedback, ticklish buzzing, low-end drones, and blasts of pissed off kicking and screaming. Like Sunn0))) meets Today Is The Day? Fistula are much more straightforward with their Sabbath/marijuana worship, but still quite good.)

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti 2 - The Doldrums (I have had this in the cd-player in my car pretty much nonstop for the past week or two. It's one guy somehow conjuring up some of the most groundbreakingly produced experimental pop that I've ever heard. He brings to mind all of the creepy songs you hear on lost AM stations at night being redone by members of My Bloody Valentine, The Residents, and Joy Division. Possible album of the year for me!)

Mammal and Iovae - How To Kill (I was so psyched to hear a collaboration between the mighty epileptic noise god Iovae and the boombap lord Mammal that I'm very surprised it didn't end up in disappointment! However, this 20-minute cassette lives up to expectations as it makes heavy use of the ear-shredding "hell frequency" and makes my eyes roll into the back of my head with each listen.)

Some other things I've been listening to here and there...

Devillock - Melt Your Face
Brian Wilson - Smile
Panicsville - Perverse
Lou Reed - Transformer
Quintron - The Frog Tape
Gays In The Military - Meat Gazers
And mixing the fuck out of my upcoming split cassette with Owlconer.
John Weise is my favorite noisemaker, period., but i didnt know about this release so i'll be looking for it, thanks. the mammal collab also sounds intruiging as does haunted graffitti.

i'm also getting more curious a bout "smile" i never paid any attention to it before, because i dont know shit about that era nor am i interested in it, but i've been hearing many things about it. no doubt you'd recommend it, but i think i'll sit on it for now.

bought the new interpol album today. it is class

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM        re:
yeah, wiese is awesome. one of the few people i know personally who STILL scare/intimidate me when they're performing!
the new interpol is one of the worst things i've heard all year. i didn't think much of the first one, but the new one makes it look like a masterpiece!
i think anyone would love ariel pink. it's just "class A" shit!
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:40 PM       
Listen to Fayman & Fripp - Temple in the Clouds. Great soundscape ambient.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:46 PM        Re: re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron mitchell
the new interpol is one of the worst things i've heard all year. i didn't think much of the first one, but the new one makes it look like a masterpiece!
frankly, i dont see the differentce between the debut and this new one. if anything there's more VARIETY, in voice and music, but this gets hailed as a downstep for some reason.

i just dont get it.

getting something called "annie - anniemal" right now, but i had another enthused recommendation for ariel pink so thats next on the list.
dont know fayman, but i do know fripp, so i'll get to that one day too.
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:07 PM       
if you're into LCD soundsystem check out !!!.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingWillSuck
if you're into LCD soundsystem check out !!!.
done and bought, thanks

LCD kicks it outta the park, but it's a great new album nonetheless.

to busy with school to listen to much the past couple days , probably until thursday.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM       
The Down & Outs - Boys From The Blackstuff - really good english punk. Imagine if the Clash came from liverpool and were more into streetpunk...great melodies without being any wussy pop punk shite
Walking Concert - Run To Be Born - Walter from quicksand/rival schools new band. Fantastic, really growing on me...quite beatles/kinks-esque without sounding retro.
Righteous Jams - Rage Of Discipline - great boston hardcore...dont quite deserve all the hype they are getting but a solid release nonetheless.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM       
dunno if i could get into the last one, hardcore isnt my thing, really, but i added the first two to the list.

so far:

annie - anniemal (posters gather, here's something you might like. drowsy annie on vocals over dance beats and cheese synth. ait, that didnt sound right at all. dance music that flirts with the 80s in a big way. absolutely addictive hooks, body-moving beats, and fun melodies save it from rip-off or bland territory though, and make this one something i'm actually considering buying. check out "heartbeat" "plus one"

tv on the radio - new health rock (download it here: http://hipinion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61151
if you like them to begin with, i cant say whether or not you'll like it or not. some people think it's boring but i thought it was really excellent. to those unfamiliar, they're technically a rock band but many of their songs are half electronic. the music itself is mostly minimal and sometimes scathing instrumentals over a vocalist to whom this music is perfectly suited to. but if you follow the link and go for it, minimal is barely present here except for the last song.)
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:00 PM       
brian wilson - smile
(i like it, and it's all i'll say for it for right now. its insistence for drenching everything in this sugar-high of sunshine gets a bit wearisome, and it does drag in places, but i've only spent a couples hours with it. i'll need at least a week)

skip james - the complete pre-war recordings.
(skip james has been my favorite in blues for a long time, but not long enough so that i could identify "that one song" that was in Ghost World (which i found out yesterday). so all that excitement i tried to share with others probably made me look like a scene slut. which is too bad and also mildly embarrassing, but i have this, and i'm happy now. if you've no clue as to what i'm talking about, please get one.)

savath and savalas - apropa't
(guy from prefuse 73 does spain with female vocal, i thought it was nice, if somewhat overated. he isnt as clever as he was with one word extinguisher, but it's not the point, it just sounds very... pretty.)

song: radiohead - i am citizen insane (the only song from hail to the thief songs that i didnt have, so i just got it because i saw it. definately up there as far as b-sides go from this album, which have been WEAK. strikes me as great stuff to wake up to.

songs - stafraenn hokur (heard him on BBC radio with john peel. beautiful instrumental music, will probably buy the album. search for "kjammi" "skotur" and anything else you can find to download. edit: here: http://www.digitalsounds.de/files/1148_1.mp3 )
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:03 PM       
oops. the last name is "hakon" not "hokur"
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM       
wagon christ - sorry i make you lush: decent idm fare, a cut above average but nothing that i'd want to own. the exceptional track out of this is "the funnies." i went to about track 6 before i realized i'm just not that interested.

tom waits - real gone: also just getting tossed into this guy. this is the first time i've heard anything by him, and i think it's fucking awesome. this guy's nuts. yes, some tracks bore me, but the ones that dont actually scare me. in a good way. in an exhilarating, wiked, fun way. i'll probably buy this real soon.. or maybe i'm just overrating it right now and i wont think so much of it later, but i'm really enjoying it now.

mono - walking cloud and deep red sky, flag fluttered andf the sun shined. (i dont know what the hell these people think. after "one step more and you die" you'd a thunk that they might figure they sound like 1998 and realized that they're at a total dead end. but no, they release another goddamn album. but it's better now. the fact that they do post rock no one else does doewsnt bother them and they still do it, but it's not as glaringly obvious. it's atmospheric, then loud, and then everything else everyone says about post rock, but it's also more delicate and HOLDS ITSELF BACK and not because it's merely leading to the loud bit, but actually does it well. it doesnt AUTOMATICALLY remind you of other bands. here's where they make something honest and good to listen to.

thats all for now. i've got a big stack of cds with me right now, so i'll be here for awhile
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM       
ARIEL PINKS HAUNTED GRAFFITTI

damn, i was so excited to hear it, when i saw it, i gave an audible "yesss" and rushed off to hear it. it's amazing that it's crap. apparently the image of creepy AM radio blew this album up to be more than it is, which is cheap, fuzzy, lazy, and boring. i dont care what kind of decade this is supposed to be coming from, i'm more than halfway through this record, i have been patient, and it never changes. i dont care if the beats are made by his voice, it's all crap.

after it's done i cant see myself bothering with it again.