Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

McMock is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:13 PM        Some self-written science fiction crap that goes nowhere.
Colonel James was the first floater the world had ever seen. The year was ten.4034.one, it was seven years after the last nobel prize that would ever be won, was won. The winner was one Frank DeXxXalisd and he won it for linking together the entire formula of everything. There was quite literally nothing left to discover after that.

Everything you could possibly want to know, you could find out by inputting the right factors in to the formula. If you spotted a flower seed floating through the air, you could input all the important factors into the formula, and find out where the flower would grow, how old it would become, by what animal it would be eaten eventually and even how much of a factor in the smell of the resulting excrement it would be. The formula was perfect. It would take the computing power of the entire planet earth one hundred years to calculate where the flower seed would land. By then, the data was outdated. This was a problem.

They needed to take shortcuts. There was no reason to apply the entire formula for every flower seed in the air. If they calculated it once, they could use the data from that exercise in every subsequent calculation and speed up the process a lot. The aim was to eventually come to some kind of real-time simulation of the universe that went faster than the real thing. They would need to mine a LOT of data before they got that far, though. And for that, the floater program was created.

It was Major James who came up with the idea. They would link together all the computers in the universe, and have them simulate the life of one person. Then, they could use that person to gather data in the most efficient way. What this meanth, in practice for Major James's son was that he spent most of his life on the verge of death. They would put him in the most extreme, dangerous situations, and make it so he always just survived. He was floating in a sea of probability, always bordering the limits of what would kill him, and what was so inprobably dangerous and life-threatening and unique it was almost certain death. The data they got from this was very useable in adding shortcuts to the formula.

And thus, the world eventually wound up with a simulation of everything, and they knew up front what would happen, and they lived the very best possibility of all possible possibilities, all the time. And everything was perfect. All thanks to Colonel James.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:56 AM       
I like this idea, you should try to expand on it. You may come out with a decent story.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM       
Colonel James? Major James? Colonel James? Is this a mistake, or is Major James, Colonel James's father?

It's hard to say much about it since it looks kinda thrown together and not (yet) thought through too much. A little oversimplified, with the 'entire formula of everything,' though it might go somewhere with some refining.

Is there any intended humor in it? I'm not saying that to be cruel, but because "DeXxXalisd" is such an obviously meant obscure name (generally accomplished by throwing in letters like X, Q and Y, adding in apostrophes, capital letters in the middle of the word, adding redudant letters - ie 'magick' instead of 'magic'), that the fact that his first name is "Frank" strikes me as kind of funny.

McMock is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM       
Thanks Big. I'm always inconfident if people will feel the same way about what I think are cool ideas. I'm glad you like it.

FS. The story isn't even a rough form yet. This is just one of those dealies where the idea hits me, and I want to get it out of my system before I forget it. Yeah, the names are crap.

I've thought about that formula of everything thing a lot actually, and I could have explained about it in more detail in a couple of paragraphs if I wanted to, but it's not something you'd want to read about in detail.

Yeah, Major James is Colonel James's father. I pretty much wrote the story down from start to finish, without even having an ending or names for the guys in it, so when I came to the point where I needed a name for Colonel's father, Major just seemed to work.

I'll see if I can come up with a proper way to put some dynamism into the story and then I'll write it down proper, with detail and people not called Frank.

Thanks for writing down your ideas.