Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:14 AM        the Boomstick game
thus far, I am loving this game. plenty of excellent Ash one-liners, the ability to talk shit at will, and some fine action. graphically, it is a bit shitty, but I am willing to give a little more for an Evil Dead game.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:32 AM       
Hmm... EGM gave it some really low scores. So let me sort of quote the reviews, and see how you feel about them.

SHAWN:

"Playing Boomstick is more excruciating than having your sphincter sewn shut and being force-fed prunes. Honestly, I would have paid to not play this game. Counterintuitive puzzles eke several hours out of a single level but fail to create even the illusion of progress. What seemed to be part of a solution always begets another puzzle in infinite regress until nothing short of a ohone call to the game's producer for help can end your agnoy (which, I kid you not, is what I resorted to).
When it comes to venting steam on the decomposing Dearborn townsfolk, you'd assume a sawed-off shotgun, diamond-tooth chainsaw, and Bruce Campbell's canned one-liners would suffice. Instead, you're repeatedly blindsided and slain by countless cheap shots. And if you don't tap one of you limited save tokens, it's back to sqaure frickin' one. Pointlessly retracing steps of ill-conceived puzzles and memorizing cut-scenes I couldn't skip only multiplied my misery. Pay someone who hates you 20 bucks to hide your car keys instead."

GREG O:

"The sugar, baby, tastes oddly like Gym Sock Surprise-and we ate it so you don't have to. Hero Ash, normally a kick-ass brawler, has been turned into a mere errand boy in the frustrating Boomstick. He has to perform numerous dull fetch quests, but since none of the game's environments has a map, you'll have no solid idea of where to go. Ammo and health packs are limited, too, ensuring Ash is only suited for either running away or dying. Ouch. Hail to the sting."

DEMIAN:

"I don't expect a high degree of believability from my Evil Dead games, but when a zombified saber-toothed tiger gives up shotgun shells when killed, well, the impulse to set the controller down walk away is irresistible. Shawn and Greg outlined the game's major faults-but I'd like to heap a little more scorn on the conbat system. Who needs combos or special moves? Not us, apparently. It's more fun to run away, attack briefly, and then run again. Not even Ash's signature double entendres can save this thing."

2.0 3.0 3.0
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:43 AM       
i disagree. it sounds to me like not one of those silly whores has ever been a fan of Evil Dead, because honestly, it doesn't take much to like this game (and it also sounds like Demian doesn't deserve to be doing reviews for ANY kind of game. i mean, did he never play Super Nintendo? EVERYTHING dropped goodies back then...). true, some of the puzzles are too frustrating for their own good while others are simple enough for the likes of Crunch and Robo and the limited saves can be a bit aggravating, but those reviews fail to capture the true essence of the game. oh, and it doesn't take much skill to simply CHANGE FUCKING DIRECTIONS when you are being attacked by swarms of Deadites.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:45 AM       
OK, well. I just thought I'd show that to you, and get your opinions on their comments. Maybe you cand give us an update on what you think of the game when you get further into it?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 02:47 AM       
I can't buy any evil dead games simply because I'm still angry at "Hail to the King". I still haven't decided exactly how to destroy my copy.

Location: Location: Location: Location:Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Cybernetico is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:50 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery
I can't buy any evil dead games simply because I'm still angry at "Hail to the King". I still haven't decided exactly how to destroy my copy.
I personally liked the game

It;s tough but when you learn all the moves and what to do its easy.

My brother owns every version of every evil dead related thing ever
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:40 AM       
Quote:
It;s tough but when you learn all the moves and what to do its easy.
Being hard or easy doesn't enter into it. The game has shitty graphics and the worst control scheme EVER.

Plus, it seemed like all the "Evil Dead" elements were tacked on as an afterthought.

It is the worst game I ever paid money to play.

-willie
Hay Ladiez! Howzit going?
BlueOatmeal is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:45 PM       
I liked hail to the king also. I have it for Dreamcast (Best console ever!!!11) Even though the graphics are shit and the controls are very shitty I had a good time with it.

But I don't think I'll play it again.

CALL ME! CALLL MEEE! WHY DON'T YOU CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!678-416-3492 How about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
What the fuck are you talking about? He loves da ladiez.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:20 AM       
ok, i just beat the game and my opinion of it has not changed. fistful of boomstick is a whole hell of a lot of fun and twice the game that hail to the king was. unfortunately, it is a bit short, i only logged a little more than 6 hours playing the game, but i am already wanting to play through it again. for the $20 pricetag, this game is well worth picking up.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:28 PM       
That's what I was about to add...

Even if it is disappointing to diehard ED fans, it's cheaper than Hail To The King was, and personally I liked HttK. Of course I found it frustrating at times, but seriously, nothing short of Bruce Campbell himself showing up and screaming "EVIL DEAD FANS ARE FAGS" would ruin it for me.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:30 PM       
that would have made Hail to the King better

-willie
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:37 PM       
I never bothered with Hail to the King but for $20 it's not a bad game. A review at IGN.com said it was basically State of Emergency with Bruce Campbell and that's basically what it is.

And why is it so hard to take out Deadites? Use the chainsaw, fuck the shotgun unless you take something out that's far away, no problems.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:17 PM       
Didn't wanna make a new thread for this...

Anyway, I rented it and it's pretty fun but I agree with those reviewers about the cheap shots and the tedious quests. I'm sick of running around looking for fucking silver so I can shut those damn vortexes, but it's really fun going around slashing the limbs off deadites. It's a good rental game but I probably wouldn't buy it for more than 30$ (CDN).

That was very funny. Well done.
Legislacerator
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:05 AM       
well, i guess it's a good thing that it is cheap as all hell. i personally didn't find any of the quests tedious, just a little frustrating at times. what do you think of the bosses? way too fucking easy in my opinion.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM       
I haven't played that much and it's due back today I think, but I'm at nathanial payne. I saved before I fought him and died like twice (I've only got about 2 and a half health center things) before figuring out I can't slap the red balls

Edit: The spells are cool too. Very fun being able to use the necronomicon against the fuckers.

That was very funny. Well done.