Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM        Does the search function not work anymore?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM       
I don't get it. This is the ONLY phpBB I've ever used that couldn't have a search feature.

I think some of the "cool phpBB hacks" Rog is installing are crap that is breaking the functionality of the rest of the board. Whatever makes it so that when you open another window of the board (like clicking on a link to another thread), it marks all forums read, or when you close the window it marks all forums read. That's some garbage right there!
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:03 AM       
As far as the search function goes, unless we install some sort of mod for 'VETS ONLY ACCESS' to the search function, we'd have even more board outages. phpBB has a weakness where you can search for 'a' or something else stupid over and over and it'll bring the board to its knees.

This is not even close to the only board that limits or disables searching - SomethingAwful does the same, for example.

Also, Rog doesn't have any of his 'cool phpBB hacks' anymore since the update. So that isn't causing your problems. The problems you mention are the same ones I have with all other phpBBs that don't fix them with extra programming.
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM       
I'm pretty sure the other boards I'm on are "straight outta the box" so I dunno why this is the only one that loves to mark everything read when you close a window.

But that bit about the search abuse makes perfect sense. Seems like you could just put some kind of flood control on it tho, like limit users to one search every minute.

Not that YOU should have to code this. It sounds like a vulnerability that the phpBB devs should address, if they haven't already.
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:11 PM       
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic...r=asc&start=15