Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Zen444 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:14 AM        Remakes
*Almost everyone hates them.

What does a person have to do, not to mess up a remake?

Should remakes be modernized version of the originals?(But not changing the time of the movie. Like the remake of Psycho still being in the 50's.)

Or should the movie be a different take on the original?

Or, should they just be inspired by the original, and not even use the name?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:43 AM       
I don't dislike remakes.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM       
i prefer the moderisation sometimes, like dawn of the dead, but sometimes a different take can turn out really good, like King Kong

i dont really like the fad of 'take a 70s/80s tv show and make a movie with todays hip sexy actors' approach that is being done a lot these days

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM       
I just hate when they try to do the same story again, only fuck it up completely. Whether its due to bad writing, direction, acting, whatever, it's always annoying to see a really shitty version of one of your favorite movies. Sometimes it can be done good, like dawn of the dead, other times it's fucking awful, like the fog.

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM       
I liked the remake of King Kong with Jeff Bridges in 1976 rather than the newest, POS Peter Jackson version, which has some of the most muddled CG imagery I've ever seen in a movie.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM       
The Kong CG was fantastic, but when you got to most anything else in that film, it was spotty. Sometimes it was fucking fantastic, other times it was fantastically fucked.

That, and it just wasn't that great a movie. Too many plot holes, and not to mention the fact that there was little hiding the fact that the movie was just made because Jackson has a huge boner for the big gorilla. I could almost picture Peter himself in place of the girl in the Ice Skating scene. It was him just living a fantasy he's had since he was a kid.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM       
In my opinion, in order for a remake to be good, it has to be a happy medium.

It can't be the same freaking movie, like the Omen, because the small inevitable changes will ruin a project that was pointless to begin with. It has to be a movie that can be remade, instead of something like the Wickerman. It shouldn't be completely different, and it should be obvious that the people remaking it understood and cherished the original film.

A delicate business, remakes. As for the best remake ever? That would be Frankenweenie.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:19 PM       
I loved the CG in kong, it looked so life-like, that scene where the bronchasaurs(sp?) were falling through that gorge, I thought, was amazing. The way you could see their fat jiggle and the texture of their bodies shift was incredible. I've never seen that in another CG scene before, and especially not at that scale.
Gorlack the Destroyer is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM       
hey guys remeber Fat Albert?
Keep up the good work, guys.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM       
Remakes generally suck.

Dawn of the Dead was the exception.

And no one was fooled with Pearl Harbor. That was a shit and hash remake of a classic: Tora! Tora! Tora!

I could of commited Seppuku in shame after watching Pearl Harbor.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:35 AM       
The reason remakes generally suck is because most of them are made with the thought that its gonna make them some bucks, not because they think it would be really good.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM       
dawn of the dead was really good, and i liked the americanized version of the grudge way more than (whatever the japanese version was called). but does that even count as a remake?

and i hate to say this, i liked the texas chainsaw remake

snowwhite is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM       
Remakes are, on the whole, a bad idea.

If someone looks at it as a way to make a cheap buck (*coughMANCHURIANCANDIDATEcough*) they're going to inevitably create a travesty of unknown proportion. And then cast a pathetic self-important racist fuckwad like Denzel Washington in the lead, which automatically ruins any film anyhow.

If they are re-making a film because they love the original so (ie: jackson's kong) then you just have to wonder what kind of ego formulates the thought "wow... this is the greatest film ever... I love it so much, that I bet I could make it EVEN BETTER."

It takes a whole lot of ego to think you can improve on greatness.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhite
And then cast a pathetic self-important racist fuckwad like Denzel Washington in the lead
what tha
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:32 PM       
Supposedly, he refused to kiss Kelly Lynch in Virtuosity because he was afraid that it wouldn't sit well with a white audience. Which makes him a bad, bad man.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM       
ooookay

snowwhite is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:36 PM       
actually he has a clause in his rider that says he will not engage in any romantic scenes with any white actress.

And when negotiating for Manchurian Candidate, he demanded a rewrite at one point because his character was "too submissive" to a white character.

Oh, and there was also the comment he made in reference to the Oscar hype over him a few years back about how it isn't possible for a black man to be a racist. But that wasn't really leaked.

White Roach is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM       
The main reason that remakes generally suck is because, like most of the users have said, is because they are trying to make a buck off a big name. There are of course a few exceptions such as Dawn of the Dead. I wish people could just come up with their own ideas, because few movies could make a good remake, let alone warrent it.