Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 03:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Kevin - "Don't you see it rather as a step towards subjegation, rather than cooperation...? Is Israel's solution a full-on assault on the Palestinian people if such actions incited a more severe intifada....? "

How is this a full-on assualt on the Palestinian people? They're not all terrorists. Israel's targetting the upper tier of the PLO union.
You're missing my point. I believe that an assault on Arafat, or any further assaults on Hamas, will create a backlash from within the Palestinian community. I think Israel is well aware of this. So, this thus confuses me. If your own actions are almost certain to create more violence, are you then counting on being in a perpetual state of war....?

Quote:
What would be cooperating? Nothing short of laying down for genocide will be viewed as cooperation in the eyes of the PA.
I think an Israeli minister of, uh, something said it best today. To kill Arafat would make him a martyr, and to exile him would make him a celebrity amongst the nations he'd surely visit. Is this preferable to keeping him in the Middle East and trying to work through him...?

Quote:
What do you mean by escalation? When infants are being shot dead in their sleep, things have escalated. Sure there will be an increase of clashes, at first, but once the people who are organizing these "uprisings" are gone, and the billions of aid dollars Arafat steals finally makes it's way to the people, I think things will mellow. He will not help the long term well being of his adopted people.
This is a wonderful story book ending, but I find it unlikely. Arafat is not the head of the serpent, he's it's representative. Taking him out would create a hydra, IMO.

Quote:
I believe Arafat is a filthy genocidal maniac. His power must be restrained, and he should be brought to justice for his crimes.
So you agree with either exile, or more preferably assasination...?

Quote:
Also - did you mean Subjugation? I had to look that one up. None of this indicates Israel is making moves to enslave or make Palestinians subserviant to them. Arabs enjoy greater freedom within Israel proper then they would in any other Middle Eastern nation. Arafat's presence has nothing to do with it.
Yeah, my bad spelling.

You're again missing my point. I feel that actions against Arafat, and further actions against Hamas will create a violent reciprocity against Israel. It will not end. You seem to think that with Arafat dead, and all of Hamas hypothetically gone, that peace will finally be achieved. I find this to be incredibly naive, and my question of subjugation comes into play regarding Israel's response to the outrage and the backlash. If riots and assaults result from Arafat's death, is Israel prepared or preparing to subjugate and fully occupy Gaza and the West Bank.....?
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM       
No. I understood you completely. That was my response.

Israel isn't going to kill, or remove Arafat while Hamas or the like are around. They're going to put the heat on him and hope he seeks refuge in Tunisia of his own accord. The scenario you're expecting is just a sensationalist viewpoint that suggests keeping Israel tangled is better for it's well being. Silly. You can't treat criminals and dictators as if they're untouchable.

The PA's have been planning an escalation of violence for years. They're not stockpiling katyusha rockets for fun. They're hungering for an event to tie it to, but it's going to happen regardless. Removing the leaders who manage, coordinate, and produce violence like it's a photo shoot, will change everything. Including Israel's need for a clamp down response.

I'd prefer to see him arrested, and put to trial. I'd love to see him put in front of the world, while a list of all the crimes he's responsible for is read.

If he was killed I'd be real, real happy about it though. Think about it, even if he died of natural causes in his sleep tommorow, he's going to become a martyr figure to some, and people will always blame Israel for the death. I think it's Shimon Peres who's holding on to the whole "he'll become a martyr" theory. You can thank that clown for allowing the return of Arafat to begin with. That theory is the reason Arafat's still alive, and by default, it gives him living matyr status. Palestinian's don't love him...they love what he can get away with.