Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mike P is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 07:23 AM        Discworld
Has anyone else here read the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett? Good stuff... it's a fantasy satire thing and... stuff. I suck at stuff like this, so I won't be doing it again.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 07:43 AM       
I've read everything up to Mort. I'll try to pick up on the rest of the series in the near future. Great stuff.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 09:42 AM       
I have read (almost) everything with Rincewind in it :D I still have to read Last Continent :o

-willie
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
I think Death and Foul 'ole Ron are my favorite characters.

Reaper Man is probably my favorite book.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 04:05 PM       
Reaper Man is great. I especially like the part where the wizards start fireballing shopping carts.

UtterParadox is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:44 PM       
Reaper Man and Interesting Times are probably the two best books in the series. Rincewind and Death are probably the two best characters (although I have to give Cohen the Barbarian some space on that particular list).

Thief of Time, however, is the worst book in the series - muddled, talky, and generally lapsing in the standards (plus, it has the worst character in the series - Myria LeJean/Unity).

"I wonder how strong human bones are after they shrink..."

MK IV is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:55 AM       
Night Watch - All about Sam Vimes , really good

HogFather - the *oh god* of hangovers . best character in any book ever.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:53 AM       
You said it Utter Paradox. There were times when I found it hard to figure out what was going on.

Hogfather is also very good. But I doubt whether MK IV has actually read it.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterParadox
Thief of Time, however, is the worst book in the series - muddled, talky, and generally lapsing in the standards (plus, it has the worst character in the series - Myria LeJean/Unity).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov
There were times when I found it hard to figure out what was going on.
Just because you're stupid, it doesn't mean that the book is bad.
Also, if your looking for the worst book in the series, then I'd call 'Eric' it.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 12:07 AM       
Vimes is good, but I think Carrot is kickass.
The weird sister stories bore me though, which is why I stay with the Watch Series and Susan Death books.

And the best seconday charachter is the Death of Rats.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:28 AM       
I loved Wyrd Sisters, but you have to get all the references if the story is going to work for you.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:00 PM       
Quote:
You said it Utter Paradox. There were times when I found it hard to figure out what was going on.

Hogfather is also very good. But I doubt whether MK IV has actually read it.

Are you calling me a liar

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover
Quote:
Quote:
There were times when I found it hard to figure out what was going on.
Just because you're stupid, it doesn't mean that the book is bad.
Also, if your looking for the worst book in the series, then I'd call 'Eric' it.
While "Eric" is definitely a weak entry (except for portions of the Hell sequence), I stand by my judgment. Thief of Time has a problem that seems to have crept into the series as a whole: there's not so much dialogue as a series of linked speeches. Lobsang and Soak are the primary examples of this.

Actually, now that I think about it, cancel that. The WORST book is "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents". EVERYONE makes speeches - long, dry speeches - in that book, and it brings in two characters worse than Myria - Dangerous Beans (a sanctimonious, whining "know-it-all") and Peaches (my least favorite character in any book I've ever read - so annoying, controlling, and utterly unpleasant that I wish the Death of Rats would just cut her down). The plot isn't too bad, but it unfolds too slowly, and the most interesting characters (Darktan and Sardines) are never given enough development. An utter waste.

Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 04:05 AM       
The cat was interesting, but I overall agree with you. The book took to long to get to the point. WAAAAAAAY to long.

Soul Music though, that was hella crazy. Death and his bike where kickass.

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM       
Except it wasnt really his bike he stole it , and it fell apart after 2 pages
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:51 AM       
The series does seem to have fallen on hard times, creatively. "The Amazing Maurice" was actually not an entry into the actual Discworld series, but instead "A Tale of Discworld" or something like that, written for younger children. "Eric" was quite weak, but I think that could be partially due to the fact that it was cowritten by someone else, the name of whom I can't remember.

One of the things I've found very interesting about the series is the saga of Rincewind. Unlike the rest of the novels, which can be read fairly independently of one another, the saga of Rincewind is rather dependent on the knowledge of what has happened in the rest of the saga, or at least the previous book. A brief overview to illustrate my point:

The first and second books in the series (Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic) were connected by a literal cliffhanger, and ended with the conclusion of the storyline of Rincewind the Guide and the Spell. The next four books in the saga (Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, and The Last Continent) are basically one whole story. The transitions of one book to another are very apparent, and are unseen throughout the whole of the Discworld novels (save for Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies, which is my favorite novel featuring Granny Weatherwax). The only thing I really don't get is why Rincewind is on a desert island at the beginning of Interesting Times...

My least favorite of the various character arcs has got to be the Granny Weatherwax arc. She's a good character and all, but those stories imparticularly seem to be very lesson heavy.

The Death specific stories aren't really focused on Death, however, save for "Reaper Man". "Soul Music" is basically about Buddy and Susan, "Hogfather" on Susan and Teatime, and "The Theif of Time" on those monks from "Small Gods"...

I think this post is entirely too long and messy. Sorry.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:32 AM       
I have to disagree with the Theif of Time nay-sayers. The Sweeper is one of my favorite characters.

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:18 AM       
i agree they follow on, but so do the death books, except there focused on Susan sto-helit at different periods of her life (cept Mort, but thats needed to explain why she is), and of course Death and the way he becomes more 'human' , and the little things he learns.
Personaly I think the Gaurds series is really good, and the main characters well developed, especialy at the end of Night Watch, and the patricians relationship to vime's REALY starts to fit together nicely

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:01 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
The only thing I really don't get is why Rincewind is on a desert island at the beginning of Interesting Times...
At the end of Eric, he leaves Hell... and we're not told what happens next. It's safe to presume that the exit to Hell dumped him on that desert island. (Hmmm... was Monkey Island out by this point?)

Old Dec 11th, 2003, 04:38 AM       
Monstrous Regiment :

Pratchett's newest discworld addition, Just read it and although I did enjoy the book , I kinda have mixed feelings, the plot wasn't exactly origional for Pratchett (kinda a mix of equal rights and Men at Arms, with a splattering of satire[parody even] courtesy of the Sharpe books) which is all I can say without giving Too much plot away, also unlike many other of his books , where the plot seems to get pushed forward by the characters, the plot for this book seems to drag the characters with it.

Although im being critical it still is a good book, though far from Pratchetts best, it's was easy to sympathise for the main character Polly/Ozzy, which meant there were a few, very emotional moments in the book for me, although some other characters were weak (Maladict* and the Troll), it also had one of the better characters Pratchetts made - Sergeant Jackrum who is the embodiment of what a soldier should be (except he's fat).

Not a bad book, worth a read.

*except his vietnamn flash backs
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:56 AM       
Quote:
At the end of Eric, he leaves Hell... and we're not told what happens next. It's safe to presume that the exit to Hell dumped him on that desert island. (Hmmm... was Monkey Island out by this point?)
Ah, but whatever happened to Eric?

As for Monstrous Regiment, I'm glad to here that it's pretty good (in one's opinion). I just hope that soon there's another book with Rincewind in it. Poor guy hasn't been seen since "The Last Hero", and granted, he has a job at Unseen University now, but that's no reason for him not to get caught up in some odd adventure.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 02:41 AM       
Quote:
Ah, but whatever happened to Eric?
Rincewind ate him to keep from starving

-willie