Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:32 PM        Good and evil
"For a good man to do nothing is evil enough."

Does that mean, conversely, that an evil person is to be commended for doing nothing?
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:38 PM       
o i have a feeling this is gonna be a biggie
__"Offff all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"Loook, its a signature.'why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?'CaboooseSports is dead, I'm his freakin ghost, deal with it.iThe following sentance is true....
The above statement was false....
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:46 PM       
Impossible to do nothing wrong in life. Not possible
evil
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:49 PM       
Evil people should be SHOT

McMock is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:30 PM       
People who think they are good people are often the most bad people there are. In fact, to think you are a good person is really an evil thing.

I only trust people who know there is bad/evil inside them, because they KNOW where their weakness is. They're not going to have it used against them. People who think they are good, fanatic religious people come to mind but also folks like Bush and of course Osama, they are blind to their own evil side and those are the ones you should be afraid of.

This is some shit you can think about for a long time, and the more you think about it, the more you see, and the more you find out you were wrong before. I've been thinking about this, probably, for half my life and I've only cracked how deep it is now. I used to think I got it, but I didn't. Deep.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:58 PM       
fag

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:17 AM       
Indeed, I believe it's a person's obsession towards being "good" that ultimately makes he or she become evil in the first place.

I consider myself a spiritual person, but I refuse to affiliate myself with any religion, mainly because of the logic concerning what is"good" and "evil" is logically flawed. Why would a "good" god punish his creations in the afterlife for leading evil lives, no matter how evil they may have been? Isn't that in itself an evil act? Two wrongs certainly don't make a right. Also, by Christian logic a psychopathic mass-murderer who repents on his death-bed would gain entry to heaven, while a modest, hardworking, honest man who never heard of Jesus Christ his entire life would be sent to hell. I've yet to discern why one's eternal destiny would hinge on a simple decision of accepting Jesus as your personal savior. And don't even get me started on what the bible says about homosexualism and "unforgivable sins." Hypocritical nonsense.

Fundamentally, however, I believe the holy book is dead on. Love for your neighbor, humility, loyalty and perseverence are virtues we should all try to incorporate into our lives, and I believe that's how true peace with oneself and one's environment is achieved. Like a lot of other things though, the bible has waaaay too much baggage to be followed word for word. It's all about KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:33 AM       
People have different ideas about what is good and bad.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickMan
Evil people should be SHOT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:37 AM       
When I'm good, I'm really good.
When I"m bad, I'm very naughty
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM       
you're not good or evil...you're stupid.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Young Lad
Indeed, I believe it's a person's obsession towards being "good" that ultimately makes he or she become evil in the first place.

I consider myself a spiritual person, but I refuse to affiliate myself with any religion, mainly because of the logic concerning what is"good" and "evil" is logically flawed. Why would a "good" god punish his creations in the afterlife for leading evil lives, no matter how evil they may have been? Isn't that in itself an evil act? Two wrongs certainly don't make a right. Also, by Christian logic a psychopathic mass-murderer who repents on his death-bed would gain entry to heaven, while a modest, hardworking, honest man who never heard of Jesus Christ his entire life would be sent to hell. I've yet to discern why one's eternal destiny would hinge on a simple decision of accepting Jesus as your personal savior. And don't even get me started on what the bible says about homosexualism and "unforgivable sins." Hypocritical nonsense.

Fundamentally, however, I believe the holy book is dead on. Love for your neighbor, humility, loyalty and perseverence are virtues we should all try to incorporate into our lives, and I believe that's how true peace with oneself and one's environment is achieved. Like a lot of other things though, the bible has waaaay too much baggage to be followed word for word. It's all about KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.
YAY! Someone else who gets it!

In response to Perndog, I believe it depends on the reason the person does nothing. If, hypothetically, there is an evil man who can't help but do bad things. He doesn't like it, but it happens anyway. If that man is aware of his evil, and does nothing so as to keep the evil inside and not allow it in public, then no, in that case doing nothing should be that person's greatest achievement.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM       
You're all losers except HickMan, Big Papa Goat, Kevin, and Helm in that order.

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
You're all losers except HickMan, Big Papa Goat, Kevin, and Helm in that order.
He who casts the first stone...

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 10:18 AM       
The phrase, in question, refers to not doing that within your power to prevent 'evil' from happening.

Does that mean, conversely, that an evil person is to be commended for doing nothing?

Not unless the evil is something they actually have to fight against to suppress, but that's a situation I don't think actually exists outside of fiction.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Quote:

YAY! Someone else who gets it!

In response to Perndog, I believe it depends on the reason the person does nothing. If, hypothetically, there is an evil man who can't help but do bad things. He doesn't like it, but it happens anyway. If that man is aware of his evil, and does nothing so as to keep the evil inside and not allow it in public, then no, in that case doing nothing should be that person's greatest achievement.
SYL, you are a bit wrong in your statement about the "Who gets entrance into heaven" bit. The guy who has never heard of Jesus Christ will be judged on how he believes and how he lives his life. If this person was introduced to the Word and denied it, then he would go to Hell.

I know the Southern Baptists and the snake handlers will tell you differently, but any real reading of the Bible backs up my statement.

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:18 PM       
SYL, you are a bit wrong in your statement about the "Who gets entrance into heaven" bit. The guy who has never heard of Jesus Christ will be judged on how he believes and how he lives his life. If this person was introduced to the Word and denied it, then he would go to Hell.

I know the Southern Baptists and the snake handlers will tell you differently, but any real reading of the Bible backs up my statement.

The New Testament clearly states numerous times that the ONLY way to get into heaven is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior. Anyone who believes otherwise regarding the Word is wrong, wrong, wrong.

McMock is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM       
Mass murderers, psychopaths, ditators, they all think they're doing something good. Even the serial killer who hates all the women in the world thinks he's doing the world a favour by ridding it of them. It's one of the funniest and least understood, I think, things there are.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM       
Welcome back, Vince.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:47 PM       
I was just having fun :/ I think this subject is common sense for most
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:37 PM       
Taoists say that doing nothing is the greatest good... non involvement. Which is really pretty simple, because you never know what effect it will have on the "World" or just various people. Lets say you save someone's life, and they end up being the next hitler(yay for cliche). It may have been good but it had evil consequences. The only problem with that is you detach yourself from situations you normally would've been a part of, which is an involvement in a way...
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM       
greatest good is prolly the wrong word, but thats the best i can do seeing as how i just woke up.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:53 PM       
Quote:

The New Testament clearly states numerous times that the ONLY way to get into heaven is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior. Anyone who believes otherwise regarding the Word is wrong, wrong, wrong.
I believe the exact wording is "The only way to know the Father is through me."(a shame I don't have it right next to me, I know)

There is a little room for interpretation there.

As in, live as He did.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM       
Matthew 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 18:3 - And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:23 - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The Apostles Mark and Luke either didn't hear Jesus talk about requirements for entering Heaven, or thought it unimportant.

John 6:51 - I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

And those are all the relevant matches for the word "heaven" in the Gospels. So, you have to be a Godly, childish, and poor cannibal to get into Heaven. IT'S IN THE BIBLE!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Matthew 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Well, duh. Do whatI tell you and I'll hook you up.

Quote:
Matthew 18:3 - And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
This one is even more obvious. Have sex with priests (I'm going to hell)

Quote:
Matthew 19:23 - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Its not so much a condemenation of the rich as it is the materialistic.

Quote:
The Apostles Mark and Luke either didn't hear Jesus talk about requirements for entering Heaven, or thought it unimportant.
Mark was the shortest Gospel because he was trying to get a message of hope to the Chritians being fed to lions. Telling them who wasn't going to heaven probably wouldn't have been a big help to them.