Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:11 PM        Why does anybody fly anywhere anymore?
PAT ME DOWN? I'm driving... Sorry...

Airport screeners missed weapons
By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Undercover investigators were able to sneak explosives and weapons past security screeners at 15 airports nationwide, according to a government report on aviation security.

The government watchdog for the Department of Homeland Security, Clark Kent Ervin, delivered the results of the tests in a classified report to members of Congress. "The performance was poor," said Ervin, the department's inspector general, in releasing a less detailed version Wednesday.

The tests were done during the second half of 2003. But they highlight ongoing vulnerabilities in the nation's aviation security system, particularly in detecting explosives such as those that Russian authorities say were used to bring down two airliners last month.

Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., chairman of a House aviation subcommittee, confirmed that the longer, classified report showed weapons and explosives got by screeners. He said the results on weapons were "bad enough," but the results on explosives were "absolutely horrendous."

An earlier report in 2003 by the Government Accountability Office had found that undercover agents were able to slip guns, knives and box cutters past screeners.

In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, the government installed explosive-detection machines in airports nationwide for checked baggage. But it has not installed equipment to check for explosives on all passengers and their carry-on bags. They are sent through metal detectors and only occasionally checked by explosive trace detection equipment.

"Unfortunately, it may take some horrific wake-up call to get attention," Mica said.

Ervin's report blamed poor training and management of the thousands of screeners who work for the Transportation Security Administration, a division of the Homeland Security department. It also cited the need for better equipment and technology.

Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., the top Democrat on the House aviation panel, said: "You're not going to find plastic explosives with a metal detector, no matter how hard you try."

TSA officials said improvements have been made since Ervin's tests, which were done from July to November 2003. Walk-through explosive-detection machines are now being tested at five airports. Machines that can detect trace amounts of explosives on documents are being tested at four airports. And airport screeners recently were given more authority to conduct "pat-downs" of passengers in an effort to detect explosives hidden under clothing.

"We're aggressively pursuing all the solutions available to us," TSA spokeswoman Yolanda Clark said.

Mica and other members of Congress are promoting the use of low-radiation X-ray machines that reveal what is under passengers' clothes. DeFazio said privacy concerns have slowed their development.

The lack of explosive-detection technology at passenger checkpoints nationwide "absolutely drives me out of my mind," Mica said. "It's so frustrating."

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...-weapons_x.htm

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM       
when i was at the airport a security officer spent a good 3 minutes examining my 20 aniversery optimus prime (which i bought while on holiday in america) just in case it transformed into an m60 or a small tactical nuke or something.

but they diddnt notice me smuggling a box of twinkies out of the country

Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:11 PM       
Good article.

"Unfortunately, it may take some horrific wake-up call to get attention," Mica said.

I thought 9/11 was suppose to do that

And our uncontrolled borders! We are just asking to be attacked
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:17 PM       
Oh I forgot. When I was coming back from vegas I was bringing back two torch lighters and a small amount of pot

One lighter was on me and I put it in the tray for the metal detecter and they said "We have to see what type it is" and they liut it. "Torch lighters aren't allowed but this one is okay" ....... ok

Then my bag goes off. "Lets move your bag over here."

"What are you looking for?" I ask

"We'll see.", I was nervous because I thought somehow they saw my bag of pot on the detecter or would stumble apon it while searchign my bag. Turns out it was my other lighter. They lit it and saw it was a torch and then put it back in my back and let us go

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudefather
when i was at the airport a security officer spent a good 3 minutes examining my 20 aniversery optimus prime (which i bought while on holiday in america) just in case it transformed into an m60 or a small tactical nuke or something.
Wasn't there something about an old woman who'd bought a GI Joe for her grandson and had to give up its little plastic rifle to airport security? Like, permanently?