Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:24 PM        The One-State Solution
One of the reasons I read 'The Nation' is for insightful essays like this:

The One-State Solution
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 03:07 PM       
Can we just lump this in with the Troll dolls and Jews thread?

Let's attack Israel, it's founders, the basis of the Jewish religion, the "naive" victims of the Holocaust, something called "Zionist archeology", qoute Herzl in the 1800's in the context of modern antisemetism, attack the concept of Jews as a disapora, mock Jewish sacrifices for "yahweh", give false population statistics, call Edward Said and Noam Chomskey "bi-nationalists", asserts that Palestinians have been "slaves" for 25 to 50 years, claims the "US is doing Sharon's bidding", cite a book claiming Jews have no use for sovereignty and that Israel has done more damage then the Nazi's, blame the violence in the old testament for seeding the climate for todays conflict, assert that all Israelis are brainwashed by kosher dietary laws, single out the religious fundamentalism that exists in every democratic nation, and attack Jews for their Jewishness by calling them suicidal.

People are so tired of being called antisemites when they're down on Israel that they're writing entire articles, and books collecting essays just to justify themselves...and in the process they're writing nonsense filth like this.... which attacks Jews from every angle of their tradition and existance in order to argue the authors point. Real insightful...and scary. Incredibly Anti-Jewish.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Can we just lump this in with the Troll dolls and Jews thread?

Let's attack Israel, it's founders, the basis of the Jewish religion, the "naive" victims of the Holocaust, something called "Zionist archeology", qoute Herzl in the 1800's in the context of modern antisemetism, attack the concept of Jews as a disapora, mock Jewish sacrifices for "yahweh", give false population statistics, call Edward Said and Noam Chomskey "bi-nationalists", asserts that Palestinians have been "slaves" for 25 to 50 years, claims the "US is doing Sharon's bidding", cite a book claiming Jews have no use for sovereignty and that Israel has done more damage then the Nazi's, blame the violence in the old testament for seeding the climate for todays conflict, assert that all Israelis are brainwashed by kosher dietary laws, single out the religious fundamentalism that exists in every democratic nation, and attack Jews for their Jewishness by calling them suicidal.

People are so tired of being called antisemites when they're down on Israel that they're writing entire articles, and books collecting essays just to justify themselves...and in the process they're writing nonsense filth like this.... which attacks Jews from every angle of their tradition and existance in order to argue the authors point. Real insightful...and scary. Incredibly Anti-Jewish.
How is this article 'Anti-Jewish'? Yes, the author questions and criticizes not only the current political and social structure within the Jewish community, inside and outside of Israel, and yes, he does use striking language and metaphors within the piece. However, at no time does he advocate that Jews should not have a country of their own nor does he criticize for criticism's sake. By the end of essay, he points out what he thinks is one of the problems that is faced by Israelis looking to construct a peace in the Middle East:

Quote:
The purpose of Zionism, and of nationalism in general, is to impose a barrier between one group and another, to limit contact and impede understanding. By emphasizing one aspect of human experience, the ethno-religious in the case of Israel, at the expense of all others, it hobbles communication with those outside the fold.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:41 PM       
One example:
Pointing out the issues surrounding kosher dietary laws as if they have relevance to a one state solution, peace, or the existance of Israel is anti-Jewish. There are similar dietary laws through the entire middle east, under the far more strict guidances of Shari'a laws and nobody is making claims that Halal meat will be the downfall of the Muslim world.
Religious Jews practice kashrut law world wide. It's a religious law, but there aren't any religious police in Judaism. Kosher certification is something special you request. It's not an actual law. Virtually all hotels adhere to the detailed restrictions but there's a huge industry of other food service establishments that serve pork. The only thing that can happen is you lose your certification. Educated Jews aren't offended by this, and it's inclusion into an article is inappropriate offensive bullshit. These laws aren't effecting clear and rational thinking as the article suggests. The article preys on people who wouldn't know better, who are in over their heads debating the basics, let alone can fathom that a religious law isn't an imposed restriction in the Jewish state. When you are critical of Jewish dietary laws you are critical of Jewish tradition, not the State of Israel.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM       
I really have little interest in the Isreali-Palestinean conflict, but the best thing I have seen The Nation do was sponser a globalization vs. anti-globalization debate, along with Cato and a few others.

Check out this: http://www.cato.org/special/symposium/index.html

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:01 PM        Re: The One-State Solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Tom
One of the reasons I read 'The Nation' is for insightful essays like this:

The One-State Solution
If I had a time capsule right now and could put one sentence, paragraph or phrase in it under the headlining "The most mother fucking ignorant ass statement ever uttered", this would be it.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:07 PM       
Why, too modest to put yourself in there?

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:06 PM       
Time capsule, Proto, not time oil tanker.