Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM        More Bad News for the Environment
Source http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...ds_041108.html
Many of Europe's birds in danger of vanishing: report
Last Updated Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:17:53 EST
AMSTERDAM - Almost half of the species of birds in Europe are at risk of disappearing, according to a new report.

The latest assessment by BirdLife International, an umbrella organization of conservation groups, says 226 species of birds on the continent, or about 43 per cent, are in danger of being wiped out.

The northern lapwing has suffered declines across much of Europe since 1990. (Andy Hay/RSPB Images)
"Birds are excellent environmental indicators and the continued decline of many species sends a clear signal about the health of Europe's wildlife and the poor state of our environment," said Clairie Papazoglou, head of BirdLife.

The report, Birds in Europe, was presented Monday at a conference on biodiversity in the Netherlands. It blamed intensive agriculture, construction projects and climate warming for the drop in birds.

The report says a number of "waders," such as the northern lapwing, have declined because of the drainage of river valleys and lowlands. Migratory birds that winter in Africa and farmland birds, such as the corn bunting, are also at risk. The report also says urban birds such as the house sparrow have declined sharply in number.

Papazoglou says the report will remind the European Union of its promise to halt the loss of wildlife by 2010.

The report had some good news for 14 species, which were on the rise thanks to conservation efforts including Audouin's gull, the Eurasian griffon and the white-tailed eagle.