Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Captain Bukakke
Tropical is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM        I need an opinion for my personal statement
A personal statement is something you write when you apply for university in UK. You basically have to advertise yourself so they would accept you into their university. I want to study Business management or hospitality management. Basically, i hafta say why i'm choosing the subject, why i would be good for the subject, why i want to study in UK since i'm an overseas student. What extra curricular activities I have. And i need a certain flair in my piece of writing to attract them. I'm only allowed to write one A4 page in MS word with font 12. I'm at my current limit

so here it is, tell me if you would accept me if you owned an university or suggestions to make it better. My personal statement is indeed very personal, it contains many things about me so I'm hoping no stupid people will be reading this page :/

(Start)
My parents grew up in Shanghai under the oppression of the Communist party. Only twenty years ago with the right connections and luck, they became citizens of the British Colony of Hong Kong. My father started a successful antique gallery and has had customers from all over the world, who are interested in the rich culture of China before it was desecrated.

A relative of mine was the general manager of Hilton Hotel here. He’d often allow me to dine there for free. I developed a great admiration for his job as I watched him yell bitterly at his subordinates. Of course I am not being serious, I don’t plan to be a boss from hell. The concept of being able to manage such a complex hotel in perfect equilibrium fascinates me. My work experience in an insurance company showed me just how challenging managing large corporations can be. I am intrigued and dying to discover what it takes to successfully manage a business.

My A level mathematics taught me to manipulate numbers into simpler forms to increase productivity and make accurate predictions with statistics. English Language has taught me that you must be able to adapt instantly and learn what register will suit your purpose to a particular audience. As an adept chess player and though A level Chemistry, I have developed logics skills and an intuition that allows me to see the many changes that can occur on a chess board or in a test tube just by changing one attribute.

Recently I have made a successful proposal with my school to allow me to reform the school chess club. I despised the previous system as it hindered the student’s ability to improve in chess. I will learn some new management experience so I could leave a legacy to the student body before I leave secondary school. I am also a Wargame player who uses gun replicas to simulate combat situations. You have to be tough and smart in order to survive this sport. As the leader of a small reconnaissance unit, I must be physically agile and have leadership skills to convince people to perform risky maneuvers to benefit the rest of the team.

After the handover of Hong Kong back to China, Hong Kong has drastically deteriorated despite the one country, two system rule. The economy was a mess since then and the incompetence of the government has left hundreds to die of SARS. I feel that the Communist influence is slowly infecting the city. Like my parents I would like to plan an exodus to somewhere more socially stable. That is why I wish to study in the UK and learn more about Europe and develop skills for a successful career.
(fin)
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:41 PM        Re: I need an opinion for my personal statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
(Start)
My parents grew up in Shanghai under the oppression of the Communist party. Only twenty years ago with persistence and good fortune, they gained citizenship with the British Colony of Hong Kong. My father started a successful antique gallery and had customers from all over the world who were interested in the rich culture of China prior to its desecration.

A relative of mine was the general manager of Hilton Hotel here. (Where?) He’d often allow me to dine there for free. <omit these two sentences.>I developed a great admiration for his job as I watched him yell bitterly at his subordinates. Of course I am not being serious, I don’t plan to be a boss from hell.</omit> The concept of being able to manage such a complex hotel in perfect equilibrium fascinates me. My work experience with an insurance company showed me just how challenging managing large corporations can be. I am intrigued and eager to discover what it takes to successfully manage a business.

My A level mathematics taught me to manipulate numbers in to simpler forms to increase productivity and make accurate predictions with statistics. The English language has taught me that one must be able to adapt instantly and learn what register will suit the purpose to a particular audience. As an adept chess player and through A level Chemistry, I have developed logic skills and an intuition that allows me to see the many changes that can occur on a chess board or in a test tube by changing one attribute.

Recently, I made a successful proposal with my school to allow me to reform the school chess club. I despised the previous system as it hindered the students' ability to improve in chess. I will learn some new management experience so I can leave a legacy to the student body before I leave secondary school. I am also a Wargame player who uses gun replicas to simulate combat situations. One must be tough and smart in order to survive this sport. As the leader of a small reconnaissance unit, I must be physically agile and have leadership skills to convince people to perform risky maneuvers for the benefit of the team.
After the return of Hong Kong to China, Hong Kong has drastically deteriorated despite the One Country, Two System rule. The economy is a mess since then and the incompetence of the government has left hundreds to die of SARS. I feel that the Communist influence is slowly infecting the city. Like my parents I would like to plan an exodus to somewhere more socially stable. That is why I wish to study in the UK, learn more about Europe and develop the necessary skills for a successful career.
(fin)