Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:24 PM        John McCain wins New Hampshire
I was going to write how this was karmic revenge for Karl Rove, but we'll see what happens when the race gets to SC.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/...pr/primary_rdp

McCain wins in NH; Clinton leads Obama

By DAVID ESPO and PHILIP ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writers 12 minutes ago

Arizona Sen. John McCain won the New Hampshire primary Tuesday night, completing a remarkable comeback and climbing back into contention for the Republican presidential nomination. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton moved out to a surprising lead over Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic race.

"We showed the people of this country what a real comeback looks like," McCain told The Associated Press in an interview as he savored his triumph. "We're going to move on to Michigan and South Carolina and win the nomination."

The Arizona senator rode a wave of support from independent voters to defeat former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, a showing that reprised his victory in the traditional first-in-the-nation primary in 2000.

It was a bitter blow for Romney, who spent millions of dollars of his own money in hopes of winning the kickoff Iowa caucuses and the first primary — and finished second in both. Even so, aides said he would push on to Michigan and battle McCain there in next week's primary.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who won the leadoff Iowa GOP caucuses last week, was running third in New Hampshire.

With votes counted from 26 percent of the state's precincts, McCain was winning 37 percent of the vote, Romney had 28 and Huckabee 12. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani had 9 percent, Texas Rep. Ron Paul 8.

Clinton, the former first lady who finished third in Iowa, was mounting an unexpectedly stiff challenge to Obama in the nation's first primary. Interviews with voters leaving their polling places showed she was winning handily among registered Democrats, while her rival led her by an even larger margin among independents.

She had 39 percent of the vote in the Democratic primary to 34 percent for Obama, who is seeking to become the nation's first black president. Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina trailed with 17 percent.

Clinton's performance, based on the early returns, surprised even her own inner circle.

In the hours leading up to the poll closing, her closest advisers had appeared to be bracing for a second defeat at the hands of Obama.

Officials said her aides were considering whether to effectively concede the next two contests — caucuses in Nevada on Jan. 19 and a South Carolina primary a week later — and instead try to regroup in time for a 22-state round of contests on Feb. 5.

These officials also said a campaign shake-up was in the works, with longtime Clinton confidante Maggie Williams poised to come aboard to help sharpen the former first lady's message. Other personnel additions are expected, according to these officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity while discussing strategy.

Obama, who won the leadoff Iowa caucuses last week, looked for an endorsement from the powerful Culinary Workers union in Nevada in the days ahead. South Carolina's Democratic electorate is heavily black and likely to go for the most viable black presidential candidate in history.

The Republican race turns next to Michigan, where McCain and Romney already are advertising on television, and where both men planned appearances on Wednesday. Huckabee also was expected to campaign in the state.

By custom, the first handful of New Hampshire votes was cast, at midnight, in Dixville Notch in the far northern tip of the state.

By tradition, the first primary held the power to propel winners into the rush of primaries that follow — and to send the also-rans home for good.
And by registration, New Hampshire's balance of power rested with its independent voters, more than 40 percent of the electorate, neither reliably Democratic nor Republican, with the power to settle either race, or both.

McCain, an Arizona senator, in particular, appealed for their support in the run-up to the primary. He battled Romney, the former governor of next-door Massachusetts, and to a lesser extent Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who won last week's Iowa caucuses.

According to preliminary results of a survey of voters as they left their polling places, more independents cast ballots in the Democratic race than in the Republican contest. They accounted for four of every 10 Democratic votes and about a third of Republican ballots. The survey was conducted for The Associated Press and the television networks.

Republicans were split roughly evenly in naming the nation's top issues: the economy, Iraq, illegal immigration and terrorism. Romney had a big lead among those naming immigration, while McCain led on the other issues.

Half of Republicans said illegal immigrants should be deported, and this group leaned toward Romney. Those saying illegal immigrants should be allowed to apply for citizenship leaned toward McCain, while the two candidates split those saying those here illegally should be allowed to stay as temporary workers.

Among Democrats, about one-third each named the economy and Iraq as the top issues facing the country, followed by health care. Voters naming the economy were split about evenly between Obama and Clinton, while Obama had an advantage among those naming the other two issues. Clinton has made health care a signature issue for years.

About one-third said if Bill Clinton were running, they would have voted for him on Tuesday.

It was hard to tell who needed a Republican victory more — McCain or Romney. McCain was the long-ago front-runner who survived a near-death political experience when his fundraising dried up and his support collapsed. He shed much of his staff and regrouped, and by the final days of the New Hampshire race, he held a celebration of sorts to mark his 100th town hall meeting in the state he won eight years ago.

"It has all the earmarks of a landslide with the Dixville Notch vote," an upbeat McCain quipped — he got four votes there to Romney's two and one for Giuliani — as his campaign bus headed to a polling place in Nashua. The crowd of supporters was so big, that voters complained and a poll worker pleaded with McCain to leave. Seconds later, the bus pulled away.

Obama drew huge crowds as he swept into New Hampshire after winning Iowa, and as the front-runner drew plenty of criticism from Clinton and her husband. Asked if he expected more, Obama said, "Oh, I don't think it will be just in the next few days. I think it'll be, you know, until I'm the nominee or until I quit." He said he understood their frustration.

Clinton, for her part, retooled her appeal to voters on the run. She lessened her emphasis on experience, and sought instead to raise questions about Obama's ability to bring about the change he promised.

Win or lose, she said she was in the race to stay — never mind Edwards' suggestion that the voters of Iowa had told her that her presence was no longer needed.

There was no letup in the television ad wars.

TNS Media Intelligence, a firm that tracks political advertising, said Clinton spent $5.4 million to reach New Hampshire voters, and Obama spent $5 million. The total for Edwards was $1.7 million, reflecting a smaller campaign treasury. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, fourth candidate in the race, could afford about $500,000.

As happened in Iowa, Romney spent more than his rivals combined on television for the New Hampshire primary.

After losing Iowa, he could ill afford another defeat after basing his campaign strategy on victories in one or both states. Reflecting the stakes, he clashed in weekend debates with Huckabee over the Iraq war and with McCain over immigration as he tried to right his campaign.

On Tuesday, Romney put a positive face forward. "The Republicans will vote for me," he said. "The independents will get behind me."

___ David Espo reported from Washington. AP writers Liz Sidoti, Nedra Pickler, Scott Lindlaw, Glen Johnson, Beverley Wang, Charles Babington, Holly Ramer and Clarke Canfield contributed to this report.
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Sleazeappeal is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM       
No matter who wins this Presidency, I shall have reason to celebrate.

Because the current President shall be dismissed.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM       
Shut up.

This is no surprise to me, but that Hillary won blew me away.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM       
i dont plan to vote bec there isnt anyone that i like. its just going to be a different asshole in the white house with same result as it has been in the last 50 years. but i just find it odd that ron paul finished the night with 8 percent or something of a vote in NH where the support for paul is overwhelming. I visit my relatives in nh at least twice a month and about 2/3 of my relatives are on paul's side. ron paul's pickets planted on front yard of people's home are all over the state. something stinks.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM       
Yeah, it turns out that no one really gives a shit about Ron Paul and was just hopping on the bandwagon because it's funny, like supporting the Marijuana Party.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM       
I forget, who was on the boards that originally made the "Ron Paul - Snakes on a Plane" analogy?

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp View Post
Yeah, it turns out that no one really gives a shit about Ron Paul and was just hopping on the bandwagon because it's funny, like supporting the Marijuana Party.
Kinda like with Ralph Nader all over again except that ron paul isn't giving out free marijuana to tree huggers to score some votes.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM       
I made the Snakes on a Plane reference. I'm also predicting Cloverfield will bomb.

And just because a handful of your circle supports Der Fuher, doesn't mean the whole state does. Posters in windows mean nothing.

Perhaps a lot of the people with those sign got a look at a lot of RP's racist rants before they hit the polls.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM       
Ah, so it was you. I was thinking it was Kevin because of all these damn baseball avatars.

Are you voting from Ron Paul, Blanco?

Mocker
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM       
Gee, as much as I'd love the US to turn into a WASP version of Iran, I'm just going have to find someone a little more electable.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM       
who are you voting for Blanco? Or who do you have in mind?
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM       
I think it's funny that Ron Paul placed ahead Fred Thompson.
Mocker
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM       
I was actually leaning towards Thompson because I'm a big Law and Order fan, but I dunno now.

I don't like the Obama's platform promises. Ya, he has made them, you just have to look real hard to find them. And, since its pretty much the same stuff as all the Dems, that pretty much negates them. OK, he's not quite as out there as Hillary and Kucinich.

I've said for a while now I don't think Rudy would make a good president.

I don't like Huckabee and Romney when it comes to crime and immigration. Hell, Huckabee says some weird shit.

Despite his image, McCain is a Republican. He tows the line pretty well, he just happens to be vocal about his dislike of Bush. That, and he's never held an executive position in government. He's been a Senator all this time.

Mayor Mike's been teasing us, but I think he should wait. In another 4 years, Iraq should have improved to the point that it won't be the main issue and we can focus on domestic stuff primarily.