Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

derrida is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM        Iraq Study Group Settles Debate Over 'Negative' War Coverage
Iraq Study Group Settles Debate Over 'Negative' War Coverage

By E&P Staff

Published: December 06, 2006 7:10 PM ET

NEW YORK For years now, the debate has raged: Does the press overstate the level of violence in Iraq and ignore the overall positive aspect of the U.S. involvment? The Iraq Study Group report today, in its main claim that the situation in Iraq is now "grave" and "deteriorating" would seem to offer a clue to the answer, but more specific details -- providing a "slam dunk" (if we may use that phrase) on the side of the press -- are found in the Intelligence section of the report near its end, starting on page 93.

There we learn, bluntly, that "there is significant underreporting of the violence in Iraq" by the U.S. military. "The standard for recording attacks acts as a filter to keep events out of reports and databases," the report continues.

Looking at one day, the report found undercounting of violent attacks by more than 1000 percent.

"A murder of an Iraqi is not necessarily counted as an attack," the report explained." If we cannot deter mine the source of a sectarian attack, that assault does not make it into the database. A roadside bomb or a rocket or mortar attack that doesn’t hurt U.S. personnel doesn’t count. For example, on one day in July 2006 there were 93 attacks or significant acts of violence [officially] reported. Yet a careful review of the reports for that single day brought to light 1,100 acts of violence.

(continues)

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003493869
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM       
Well I'm glad that's settled.

Can we take care of global warming and abortion now?
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM       
No, I think we need to take a step back and look at all sides of the issue.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM       
No that's not enough. Let's look at all sides, and a few obtuse angles too. We have to magnify the death tolls so that we make sure the sensationalists perspective is covered too!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM       
but what about the soldiers?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM       
Well, I guess that's finally settled.

It's freakin great to know the press has never understated the good news coming out of Iraq. I can sleep well tonight with "Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, Nyah" in my sweet, sweet dreams.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!